The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah, but you get a lot more pixels with the 3x 22 even in portrait mode than a big HDTV, so your FOV will be wider.

Yeah, but you get a lot more pixels with the 3x 22 even in portrait mode than a big HDTV, so your FOV will be wider.

Aye. There do exist 3840x2400 widescreen monitors, but they're goddamn expensive, the only size is 22.2", and they have a maximum refresh rate of 48 Hz.

< will never understand the point of having multiple monitors hooked up to 1 pc

just get one BIG one instead...

I use dual monitors at work and it's amazing. The craptop's 1024 x 768 screen is dedicated to Outlook, chats, and various small utilities, while the large monitor gets the web browser where I do most of my work and most other applications. It's much easier than switching windows between foreground and background, and more organized than trying to keep them side by side on a larger screen.

Plus, it's cheaper to buy a new main monitor and keep the old one around as a second screen.

I think I became inspired by James May lego house that I bought some. These are the little Lego Technics so not the massive projects that he did, but I'm proud of them :D
Dune Buggy on a Motorised Flatbed truck
IMG_2677.jpg

And yes that is a soft toy ASIMO behind the lego

IMG_2681.jpg

I haven't opened this box yet, but it looks massive :)....
IMG_2682.jpg

I think I'm a little odd for a twenty-something year old female to like Lego Technics (yes I know it's really targeted to 11-16 year old but it's soo fun!) Though it is bloody hell expensive.

If you can put up with some shoddy build quality, Mega Bloks Pro Builders series are epic:

f34b_35.JPG

YOW4760031.1.jpg

^ I had that one

I think I became inspired by James May lego house that I bought some. These are the little Lego Technics so not the massive projects that he did, but I'm proud of them :D
Dune Buggy on a Motorised Flatbed truck
IMG_2677.jpg

And yes that is a soft toy ASIMO behind the lego

IMG_2681.jpg

I haven't opened this box yet, but it looks massive :)....
IMG_2682.jpg

I think I'm a little odd for a twenty-something year old female to like Lego Technics (yes I know it's really targeted to 11-16 year old but it's soo fun!) Though it is bloody hell expensive.
I'm yet to buy that truck, saving up for it...!

I've bought close to 20 sets in the last 2yrs now...there's been nothing new on lego for a while, but wiki says the new trains are out this year :)

< will never understand the point of having multiple monitors hooked up to 1 pc

just get one BIG one instead...
It's useful for design. Keep the workspace on one screen, all the tools on the other. I use so many toolbars in AutoCad, Pro/Engineer and Photoshop I'd use up almost half the screen just for that.

Last edited:
It's useful for design. Keep the workspace on one screen, all the tools on the other. I use so many toolbars in AutoCad, Pro/Engineer and Photoshop I'd use up almost half the screen just for that.

There's that. Also, my 2nd monitor is my 32" TV. I can still work on my 21.6", and I can have video playing on the 32" TV for everyone else in the room.

Just ordered all of this:
intelcorei7860.jpg
88386246250x25000asus2basus2bp7p.jpg

Intel Core i7 860 with an Asus P7P55D LE mainboard...
kinstonvalueramddr3dualkitsquare.jpg
samsung2bspinpoint2bf32b1000gb2b.jpg

... 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM and 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard drive ...
gx122pc400.jpg

... Powercolor ATI Radeon HD5850, shipped with DiRT 2 ...
corsairtx650wultraquietpowersupp.jpg
i619201.jpg

... some 650W of Corsair power, and a simple LG DVD writer ...
gigabytesetto1000b.jpg

... all to fit nicely inside a Gigabyte midi-tower.

Cost me way less than I expected, and in a week or so I finally will have a PC to play GTA4 at full details and a proper resolution. And DiRT2 of course.

How are you handling your hard drive? One big drive? Partitions?

I guess I'll part it in two, a system/software drive with some 150-200GB and the rest for data. Makes occasional Windows reinstalls easier (you only wipe the system, keep the data).

Actually I first wanted to get a bunch of smaller drives and build a RAID5 on them. But then decided to keep it simple - anyway, I can always do that later with more 1TB drives, which won't cost anything by the time.

I use dual monitors at work and it's amazing. The craptop's 1024 x 768 screen is dedicated to Outlook, chats, and various small utilities, while the large monitor gets the web browser where I do most of my work and most other applications. It's much easier than switching windows between foreground and background, and more organized than trying to keep them side by side on a larger screen.

Plus, it's cheaper to buy a new main monitor and keep the old one around as a second screen.

Dual monitors are the best for working. I'd hate to have to be stuck with just one. Multitasking sucks on one monitor and I usually have about 5-20 windows open when I'm working on web design/development. But for gaming, I'd rather just have one big one (I personally use a 46" HDTV) so there's no gaps breaking up the view.

Last edited:
^agreed. So for us non geeky guys who don't use fancy stuff like Photostuff, etc, one bigass screen for gaming is enough...

i've seen a 3 monitor setup specifically for racing games (ie middle screen shows your "ahead" view, left and right screens show your "watch left" and "watch right" views), but it seems annoying and weird to have the screens at an angle + you're missing a little bit of screen

[YOUTUBE]2bv8Nq5gbtw[/YOUTUBE]

I kind of wished I had 3 monitors when I sim race really annoying when you need to look left/right to check if your side by side with somebody.

That's why I hate the in-car view in any racing game. I can much more easily and less distratingly glance at my mirror or to the side in for reals driving, so I use close follow, just seems more real for me :dunno:

That's why I hate the in-car view in any racing game. I can much more easily and less distratingly glance at my mirror or to the side in for reals driving, so I use close follow, just seems more real for me :dunno:

Plus, for me, if I'm turning into a curve where the road is exactly hidden by the A pillar, I can lean over a bit...can't do that in the games. I usually do the close-follow view, too.