The "New Toys" Thread

I miss those things. My first dell had both trackpad and nubin, and I far preferred the nubin, it lets you keep your hands on the homerow.

I tried using it at the store, either I was doing it wrong, or it was set differently, or it was just slow; but it moved the cursor at far too slow a pace for me, as in about 1.5 seconds to move from one side of the screen to the other. I've used similar on other laptops where you could brush your finger across it and the cursor would shoot around, this was more like using a really short joystick- I had to keep holding it in a direction to move it, no brushing it around.

I almost doubled my desktop space a few days ago: bought a used 19" Samsung as a secondary/IRC monitor. Looks rather mac-ish but it's actually rather ok, I was afraid that it'd be really bright white and ugly :p

Using Lightroom on two monitors = sweet <3

_medium.jpg

And today I bought 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 CL4 (used) to replace my 2x1GB Kingston DDR2-667 CL5. I double my memory and gain a nice boost in speed and my wife gets my old memory chips so her PC goes from 1GB to 3GB.

I <3 new toys

url

13", base configuration (2.26 C2D, nVidia 9400m, 2GB DDR3, 160GB HD). Going to upgrade Ram and Hard disk myself later.

Now, on to finding a half decent case to protect my new toy. Ideas?
I'm in love with my ColcaSac. http://www.colcasac.com/

Although it's probably not what you're looking for.

Bought two new HP Touchsmart 600-1050sc. :love:
41GuboZT-lL.jpg

two ?_?

btw how are those response times on the touchscreen, thinking about getting my mom one

Yep, two!
The response time is much better than the previous versions of the touchsmart pcs and software. It's cheaper than the older versions, and has windows 7 as well! got it four days ago, so haven't tested it thorrowly yet. but so far i haven't got any complains!

Looking at buying one of those touchscreen PCs as a replacement for my current media center PC, please let us know your findings.

I sure will in a couple of days.

The Dell ones look pretty cool in person.

You answered your own question there, no one buys the iphone because it's a phone, same reason...

most people buy the iphone for the badge and the touchy feely of it, that's the only reason they endure the ridiculous carrier rules

It'd make sense in many Asian households, where space is at a premium and having a touchscreen would reduce the need to bust out a keyboard and mouse (which take up even more space again).

Sorry, but whats the usefulness of those things apart from showing off?

I'm looking at them as a media center for my living room, so I can control the music playback via the touchscreen without the need to grab keyboard and/or mouse or turn on my TV.

It'd make sense in many Asian households, where space is at a premium and having a touchscreen would reduce the need to bust out a keyboard and mouse (which take up even more space again).

erm i understand cramped housing conditions (you should see my livingroom, lol) but how exactly does a keyboard/mouse take up much space. If you have a wireless one you can put it wherever, and if you have a keyboard with no Numpad, it can be made very tiny. Also tiny mouses FTW

look what I have for my netbook

P8120656.jpg

tiny mouse is tiny