The "New Toys" Thread

Technically, it isn't really mine, but my mom has got herself an iPad 3g. I actually like it a lot. The touchscreen is extremely good, typing in landscape mode is just as fast as on a physical keyboard, and although not being very high-end in the hardware department (256 mb ram? Come on...), it's surprisingly smooth. Could easily replace a laptop in many tasks, especially underway. Makes me want an Android tablet made on the same quality level... One day :)

Technically, it isn't really mine, but my mom has got herself an iPad 3g. I actually like it a lot. The touchscreen is extremely good, typing in landscape mode is just as fast as on a physical keyboard, and although not being very high-end in the hardware department (256 mb ram? Come on...), it's surprisingly smooth. Could easily replace a laptop in many tasks, especially underway. Makes me want an Android tablet made on the same quality level... One day :)

I find it horribly uncomfortable to use for long periods of time compared to my ultra-portable.

I find it horribly uncomfortable to use for long periods of time compared to my ultra-portable.

I guess my problem is that it "could easily replace a laptop for many tasks." Yet it's more expensive than many laptops. I'm not expecting a powerhouse, but for $500, it shouldn't be less functional than my $250 netbook. Someone transplant that screen onto a real computer already!

samsung-vibrant-rotate.jpg

I'm in love.

Asus U35JC

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pe/peter3hg/2010/09/03/ASUS-U35JC-11.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pe/peter3hg/2010/09/03/it_photo_151771_52.jpg

13.3" LED backlit screen
4 pounds
>1" thick
i3-370m 2.4ghz processor
4GB RAM
320GB HDD
NVidia 310m 1GB "switchable" graphics card

Some reviews claim you can get nearly 10 hours of battery life with light office use but I'll have to wait and see if that is true.

Not so much of a toy, but nevertheless:

CE459A_400x400.jpg

HP LaserJet P2055dn network printer in the parents' house. I'm amazed that a bloody printer can have a 600MHz processor, 192MB of RAM, the whole network security package (firewall, SSL, ACLs, you name it) and a huge web interface built-in to configure everything. And it's really easy to set up and get working.

Not so much of a toy, but nevertheless:

HP LaserJet P2055dn network printer in the parents' house. I'm amazed that a bloody printer can have a 600MHz processor, 192MB of RAM, the whole network security package (firewall, SSL, ACLs, you name it) and a huge web interface built-in to configure everything. And it's really easy to set up and get working.

I <3 LaserJet network printers.

Asus U35JC

13.3" LED backlit screen
4 pounds
>1" thick
i3-370m 2.4ghz processor
4GB RAM
320GB HDD
NVidia 310m 1GB "switchable" graphics card

Some reviews claim you can get nearly 10 hours of battery life with light office use but I'll have to wait and see if that is true.

Let us know how it turns out, I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm worried the 310m will not be beefy enough for some games :)

HTC-Desire-1.jpg

And it didn't cost me a cent. Result.

Let us know how it turns out, I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm worried the 310m will not be beefy enough for some games :)

The most intensive game I've run on it so far is GTA San Andreas, which it runs at full everything easily. I might try Mafia II on it at some point which I reckon it could handle at low settings.
Other than that it seems good, apart from the power brick has died. I've got another I can charge it with but I'll ring Asus on Monday and see if they'll send a replacement.

Just go this in the mail today (not my pic):

wacom_bamboo_pen_touch_reviewed_1.jpg

Wacom Bamboo Pen. Got it on sale. I wanted the Fun (bigger) but after using it for a bit the size is alright for my needs. And comparing it to the other tablets I have used (Genius, MonoPrice, etc) it blows them all away by a mile. It's already almost replaced my mouse (well, other than games obviously lol)

apple-magic-trackpad_1-300x225.jpg

Magic Trackpad

It's so very magical, isn't it? It's so magical that a bunny popped out of my screen when I scrolled down to your post. :p

It's a neat trick illusion, but what do I do with the bunny now? I wonder if Apple has a department to receive the byproducts of all these magical devices they are selling now.

Last edited:
M-COW-FLIP-G7-BLACK.jpg