The "New Toys" Thread

Yeesh, that's getting into netbook territory. As it is I consider my 13.1" rather small. :?

It's actually more like 13", just the screen is 12.1" with wide edges. The model is from 2006 and it has Core 2 Duo, so it's no netbook.

edit: I just replaced the hdd with ssd. It has C2D T7200 (2.0GHz), 2GB ram (I'm gonna upgrade to 4GB), and 64GB ssd now, it's gonna be fine for a few more years, not bad for a four year old computer.

edit2: that's my laptop (well, not that particular one, but similar

Oh yeah, after you get used to 13.1", 15" is going to look huge. I had that experience when dad bought a 15.6" laptop.

Last edited:
Ugh, I don't think Netgear included the screws they were supposed to with my NAS, so I can't install the drives. :?

Just use some of the thousands of assorted screws you have neatly stored away... wait, am I the only one? :D

Misplaced when I moved. Gonna see if I can find some at my relative's house tomorrow.

Drive seems to be snug in there without screws, so I lucked out. Just makes it a pain when pulling the drive in and out. :)

Looks like I'm getting 4-6 hours of battery life outta this laptop with full brightness, wifi and keyboard backlight on, etc. I'm so pumped.

Does it not have a GUI to setup the various options like FTP/etc? Why do you need to know any syntax for it.

There is an extensive GUI for all the set-up, but the QGet program, which runs the downloads requires you to input the full url of the FTP file you wish to download. Thankfully, for torrents all you have to do is upload the .torrent file to the box and away it goes. This is a (probably unreadable) screencap of the FTP input field:

QNAP-Download.jpg

After jumping on the SSD bandwagon quite early on I'm wondering if I'm going to regret my decision. I've been having a few issues with my system recently and while I'm trying to find the source of the problem I ran CrystalDiskInfo. It current rates the health of my SSD at 57% after approximately 13 months. In HD Tune it has also flagged up the number of Ultra DMA CRC errors which it said could have been down to a faulty cable. With the cable replaced I get the same result :(.

HD Tune
CrystalDiskInfo
SSD Life

In HD Tune it has also flagged up the number of Ultra DMA CRC errors which it said could have been down to a faulty cable. With the cable replaced I get the same result :(.

IIRC the figure you see is a lifetime counter. Replacing the cable will not reset the counter - check if it keeps increasing with the new cable.

PS: Could you upload the SMART data from SSD Life Free (Click SMART, click No, copypasta the URL)? Or, even better, using the OCZ tool - it will be accurate with respect to the meaning and interpretation of each value.

Mine looks like this: http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/53c73e9ab562658cbed92a48f72a5ac2
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/02/19/ssdlife.png

Last edited:
IIRC the figure you see is a lifetime counter. Replacing the cable will not reset the counter - check if it keeps increasing with the new cable.

PS: Could you upload the SMART data from SSD Life Free (Click SMART, click No, copypasta the URL)? Or, even better, using the OCZ tool - it will be accurate with respect to the meaning and interpretation of each value.

Mine looks like this: http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/53c73e9ab562658cbed92a48f72a5ac2

This is kinda depressing. I ran that tool on mine and mine is at 90%. I just got the drive last xmas so its been in my system for less than 2 months. at this rate, i'll need a new drive by next xmas... [my SSDLife data]

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/02/19/ssdlife.png

I use the IndilinxSSDStatus app, quite a few at the OCZ forums use it as well.

Maybe his SSD life is dropping so fast because the OS hasn't recognized it as an SSD and is writing tons of tiny files to it...excessive wear?

Last edited:
Clicky. Even more puzzling, it lists it as "OCZ Agility 0GB".

This tool interprets C7 differently from HD Tune - maybe it is not really an error counter for this specific disk? the OCZ tool would probably help.

On the life percentage, it's calculated by 1 - (average erase count / maximum PE count). For some reason you have a high erase count compared to the overall life.
I have a suspicion. Check whether automatic defragmentation is turned off. If it is on, turn it off.

A little background, every flash cell has a limited number of delete operations that it can survive. If a sector exceeds its life in delete counts it will be ignored by the controller. At first it will take the reserved extra space that every drive has - some more, some less. After a (long) while drive capacity will drop once the reserved space is used up.

This is kinda depressing. I ran that tool on mine and mine is at 90%. I just got the drive last xmas so its been in my system for less than 2 months. at this rate, i'll need a new drive by next xmas... [my SSDLife data]

Same thing for you, huge erase count and massive write amount compared to the total read amount suggest things like defragmentation.

Last edited: