The "New Toys" Thread

WDTVPLUS001_575px.JPG

My dad has one that is a bit older than a year, the HDD failed, it reboots randomly. It's not a road warrior machine either it sits in the house and gets taken room to room...

As far as I know, HP doesn't make HDD's. And sometimes those things just fail, no matter how gently you use them.

Wow. People actually willingly buy HP laptops? Ouch....

Considering the boards are essentially all Foxconn boards, with the reference design being essentially Quanta/Compal/Wistron, with Quanta being by far the biggest ODM, I'd say it doesn't really matter at all besides the software side of things.

My dad has one that is a bit older than a year, the HDD failed, it reboots randomly. It's not a road warrior machine either it sits in the house and gets taken room to room...

As far as I know, HP doesn't make HDD's. And sometimes those things just fail, no matter how gently you use them.

^yup. I've had just about every PC component fail me over the years. Some due to age, others dues to manufacturing defects. I stay away from Seagate HDs though: my WD, Samsung, and Hitachi drives haven't failed me. The Seagates I have failed me in under a week over 3 drives. Eventually the company gave me a Samsung which is working fine. After being somewhat abused during a 14hour flight and X-Ray machines.

i have 2 year old hp, changed the hd 2 times (first broke, and replaced the rma'd unit with wd black), it has a hole next to my left ctrl and i believe the machine runs most of its time @ 69c temps :D
warranty ends june 2011 :p

It was a deathstar I believe, HDD was only one of the problems though it still reboots randomly and overheats (from what I can tell).

On the subj, funny quote from an Apple Genius overheard when I was waiting for some service at the Apple store. "There are two types of HDDs, ones that have failed and ones that will fail"
yup. I've had just about every PC component fail me over the years. Some due to age, others dues to manufacturing defects.
I've had very few things fail on me outside of my old Toshiba laptop in which EVERYTHING but CPU, RAM and Touchpad failed MULTIPLE times. Otherwise I never had a component fail before I was done using it (don't know if it failed afterwards). I have an HDD in my older HTPC that's something like 6 years old and is always running :)

Last edited:
Woohoo, the wheelstand pro I ordered in the beginning of January as finally shipped last night :D

Unfortunatly, the G27 I ordered at the same time still hasn't shipped, and probably won't for a few more weeks :(

Woohoo, the wheelstand pro I ordered in the beginning of January as finally shipped last night :D

Unfortunatly, the G27 I ordered at the same time still hasn't shipped, and probably won't for a few more weeks :(

It's a great combo, the only thing about the Wheel Stand Pro is that it can rock side to side a bit under vigorous steering.

When I looked online it would have been months before anything was in stock.... Craigslist to the rescue, picked up a G25 and stand the next day :D

I've had a HP DV6 for one and a half year now. Not a single problem other than the power supply which died some months ago. I can say the same about the 10 others I know who has newer HP laptops. The laptops run great and with no faults but the power supply's are a ticking bomb! :D

Sod the new stuff, that looks like a pretty nice turntable you've got there. :thumbup:
I was wondering if any of FGs audio nerds would notice :)

It's a Pro-Ject Debut III btw. And it indeed is nice :)

Last edited:
Just bought a heap of stuff for the suddenly expanding family business. No pics yet, will maybe get some done when it's all in one place, actual installation is still a few weeks away.
  • Lenovo ThinkServer TS200v small office server. Core i3 540, 4GB RAM, 2x 500GB in RAID 1
  • 4x Lenovo IdeaCentre H220 desktops. Pentium Dual-Core E5700, 2GB RAM, Win7
  • 4x BenQ T2210HD monitors
  • 4x Logitech MK250 keyboards and mice
  • 2x Cisco SG 100D-08 unmanaged gigabit switches
Add to that three laptops, a wireless router we're getting from the internet provider, an HP 2055dn network printer, a few backup USB drives, two scanners and a camera, and I think we've got ourselves an office. Desktops are rather simple, but more than enough for their intended use. And I'm frankly amazed how little money one can nowadays spend on this kind of equipment without having to resort to Atom boxes and such.

I'm kind of looking forward to putting all of this together...

MK250 is a decent kb/m bundle, though the keyboard is not as nice as most other Logitechs. Good value though.

Just bought a heap of stuff for the suddenly expanding family business. No pics yet, will maybe get some done when it's all in one place, actual installation is still a few weeks away.
  • Lenovo ThinkServer TS200v small office server. Core i3 540, 4GB RAM, 2x 500GB in RAID 1
Add to that three laptops, a wireless router we're getting from the internet provider, an HP 2055dn network printer, a few backup USB drives, two scanners and a camera, and I think we've got ourselves an office. Desktops are rather simple, but more than enough for their intended use. And I'm frankly amazed how little money one can nowadays spend on this kind of equipment without having to resort to Atom boxes and such.

If you have problems with net, change your router first of all.

Nice!!! Congrats on the expanding business. What area of work is it in?

If you have problems with net, change your router first of all.

It'll be an AVM Fritz!Box 6360 Cable, those are way better than most crap DSL routers providers sell to private customers. But still, yeah, if anything it should be the weakest link in the setup :)

Nice!!! Congrats on the expanding business. What area of work is it in?

Philately. My father is a stamps collector and trader with years of expertise, and now he's moving the bulk of the business from the old headquarters in Ukraine to Germany. The hardware will be mainly used for scanning stamps and collections, managing the stock, and running eBay auctions.

It'll be an AVM Fritz!Box 6360 Cable, those are way better than most crap DSL routers providers sell to private customers. But still, yeah, if anything it should be the weakest link in the setup :)

Philately. My father is a stamps collector and trader with years of expertise, and now he's moving the bulk of the business from the old headquarters in Ukraine to Germany. The hardware will be mainly used for scanning stamps and collections, managing the stock, and running eBay auctions.

Wow, didn't think of that at all. Who knew Philately / stamp trading got so high tech. I should run my collection past your dad, never had it appraised...

Heh, the Lenovo dekstops have arrived today. Apparently someone has ordered an exact same machine on exact same day as well, and it got delivered to us instead; we only noticed a few hours later, when I saw 5 boxes where there should have been 4... luckily they left the other customer's receipt here as well with all his data, so hopefully the shop can get it sorted.