The "New Toys" Thread

41wMWdbXHRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charging it up now.

Bought this today. Took the SSD out of my laptop to out in my desktop. Since i put my laptops old harddrive in my mac mini, i needed a new drive for the laptop. This one was cheap so i got it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/se/sevs753/2011/03/19/647560_03_family_comping.jpg

I just ordered this:

81mbmIlI8kL._AA1500_.jpg

Is currently reduced from 449 Euros to 256 Euros. And I still had an amazon.de voucher, so I pay 231 Euros. Will hopefully help me in making better driving videos :D

Parrot MKi9200 for the Saab (which I'll put up a thread and pictures for at some point).
It is fitted but I'm just waiting on a cable to plug it into the pre-wired handsfree plug.

MKi9200-PROD.jpg

Parrot MKi9200 for the Saab (which I'll put up a thread and pictures for at some point).
It is fitted but I'm just waiting on a cable to plug it into the pre-wired handsfree plug.

MKi9200-PROD.jpg
Nice. Parrot is pretty good, I have one built into my navi unit, excellent call quality.

41wMWdbXHRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charging it up now.

Well, there's a major problem. It can't be used while charging, it turns off. I needed it to be able to do so in order to use it both for work and in the car via AUX in, otherwise the 8.5 hour battery life will make it more or less useless. It does work quite nicely though, and the included earbuds aren't terrible.

I just got myself a new 13" MacBook Pro (Core i7)! I expected to keep the old one for at least one more year but Xcode 4 was just too darn slow on it (among other things), and when my boss told me he'd give me a good price on the old one, well, let's just say that I pretty much jumped on the opportunity :-d

I just put my SSD and OptiBay back in it and am currently cloning the newer version of the OS back on the SSD. Even while running from a USB enclosure, this thing is FAST! Now I just need to grab a couple of 4GB sticks of RAM and I'll be set for quite some times :-d

And speaking of spending money, I got the great Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens for my Oly E-PL2! Needless to say, I'm am now poor.

Don't you void the warranty by using the OptiBay? Right after buying the machine?

Just don't return the machine with the optibay and you'll be fine.

Dammit, I'm kinda tempted to jump up to an i7 13" MB pro, but the new X220 is strong competition.

Well, there's a major problem. It can't be used while charging, it turns off. I needed it to be able to do so in order to use it both for work and in the car via AUX in, otherwise the 8.5 hour battery life will make it more or less useless. It does work quite nicely though, and the included earbuds aren't terrible.

I had a similar experience with an electric shaver. I had an electric that worked really well untill I killed it. :p I then decided I would upgrade to a cordless. Well, the cordless doesn't work when it's plugged in. Too often I get 1/2 way through a shave/trim and the battery dies. Now what? I can't just plug it in and keep going. I have to plug it in, take my shower, get dressed and get ready to leave, and then hope it had enough charge to finish trimming my beard. Stupid fucking thing. And I never use it away from the sink, anwyays, so why did I think I needed a cordless? Did I think I was going to be using it in my car? While hiking? At the mall?

Don't you void the warranty by using the OptiBay? Right after buying the machine?

I work as a Certified Apple tech in an Apple reseller ;-)
Plus if you do it properly, nobody can notice that you ever replaced parts inside the machine, there are no stickers of anything that tells you that the warranty is void.

I can't say much about the overall performance of the machine as I didn't boot on the SSD yet, but it feels really fast. I ran a quick Geekbench on it and get more than double the performance of the Mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro and about 1000 more points than the 15" Mid 2010 Core i7 MacBook Pro!

Does it have the update to fix the display issues yet?

I installed Mac OS X 10.6.7 on it, everything is going smoothly so far :)

I've also been using it on the SSD since earlier and this thing is screaming fast :-D

I work as a Certified Apple tech in an Apple reseller ;-)

I knew that, didn't think it made any difference... I guess it wouldn't if there was a sticker or something to indicate it had been modified?

Well, if there was a sticker I'd need a good reason to open the machine and actually setup a repair so there'd be a trace in Apple's system about it. As it is, if I have an issue in the machine I can either fix it directly where I work or pop back the optical drive and go to the Apple Store directly :)

So my switch finally came!
Netgear GS108 8-port, 50,90eur.

now i have 4 empty lanports left :D

Am I the only one who thinks its perfectly normal that CAT-5 cabling does GbE over such short distances?

I use CAT-5e for the whole LAN in our apartment. My cable is 30 meters long, gigabit runs perfectly. Don't know about normal CAT-5 though, I have a meter of that connecting my switch with the DSL modem, but the modem can only do 100Mbit anyway.

While we're on this topic: what do the standards say about this? I'm going to be installing a bigger network in the new office, and haven't yet bought the cables; should I get CAT-5e or spend some more on CAT-6?..