The "New Toys" Thread

I got it for 200 euro from a guy who had won it, so if I end up not liking it I will just sell it on with a profit.

Besides, I've still got my HTC Hero :)

Edit: first impressions are that it's fast, but the browser lacks the refinement that Android gives you. Camera quality is better than with my Hero and it takes shots a lot faster too. The options to customize your interfaces are limited compared to Android but the navigation is very fluent. I like typing on my Hero although it is a touchscreen but this full hardware keyboard isn't half bad either. Overall I like it though. I think I'm going to keep it untill HTC comes out with the Pyramid and then sell both this and the old Hero.

Last edited:
200 Euro could probably get you a used Nexus One. I actually just sold mine for about that much.

/Motions to signature.

The difference is that this phone has never been used before. Retail price is 429 euro, so I'd be a fool to pass up on that.

1. Buy phone really cheap
2. Try phone for a while
3. Sell phone with a profit
4. Use profit to buy new HTC Pyramid in the fall
5. More profit? :p

1. Buy phone really cheap
2. Try phone for a while
3. Sell phone with a profit
4. Use profit to buy new HTC Pyramid in the fall
5. More profit? :p
Nah.

1. Win a recently released iPhone.
2. Flog it on eBay to some idiot who absolutely has to have the newest model and will pay big money for it.
3. PROFIT!

If only that could happen to me... :sad:

I have a work provided Captivate. Like the hardware hate everything else :p

Yep, but with a personal one, you can change that everything else.

What did I buy today? Oh, just a $1,300 Macbook Pro:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/03/29/d4cny.jpg

:whistle:

Always wanted one of these, even before when my Thinkpad died three weeks ago. It's been surprisingly easy for me to adapt to it, considering I've been a PC (har har) since I was 6.

Congrats! I'm not going to lie, despite always choosing Windows systems in the end due to them better fitting my idea of "value", using Mac OS in general has always been a pleasure-just as smooth as my Windows installs. There are differences but you get used to them fairly quickly.

The MBP 15 inch I had to deploy yesterday was my first real up close and personal experience with a unibody MacBook, and I was impressed with the overall "goodness" of it's fit and finish. :)

Pretty cool. PS is better on the Mac, its almost as if PS is an OS X app ported to Windows. I take it you came from Win XP to OS X, it is quite a bit of a difference between a 10 year old OS and a new one :D

To be fair though....OS X is 10 years old too. Maybe one ages more gracefully than the other? (Although, to be fair, I still think XP looks and feels quite modern for something released nearly 11 years ago) :p

bold-9780.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9780

I wouldn't have got this normally, since I am kind of an Android fanboy. But I got a really sweet deal on it so I couldn't let it pass.

Very nice, I think OS 5 made it look a lot nicer, see if you can't get OS 6 on there to get a decent web browser. Otherwise, try opera mini or mobile. :)

OS X may be 10 years old, but that's a bit like saying Windows NT is 18 years old. Windows 7 is NT 6.1. OS X has had 6? major releases/updates. They tend to do more minor updates, more frequently, so the end result is a similar evolution.

OS X may be 10 years old, but that's a bit like saying Windows NT is 18 years old. Windows 7 is NT 6.1. OS X has had 6? major releases/updates. They tend to do more minor updates, more frequently, so the end result is a similar evolution.

*nods in agreement* :)

Why would anyone want iOS when they have Android?

And I personally can't use iOS. It just doesn't "feel" right to me.
It's a matter of preference I suppose but on the whole I find that iOS is a lot more consistent and "mature" than Android. There are certain very baffling design choices that were put in the OS and its missing some niceties. For instance scrolling through text to find and fix a typo is way harder on Android. We had no end of problems with the Exchange set up on our Captivates (in fact the company is now providing iPhone 4s to everyone instead). I actually have work e-mail set up on my iPhone as well and I consistently get email on it when Captivate does not. Just a few examples but from my usage (and I was using the Captivate extensively for the first month or so cuz it was a new toy :p ) I think that iOS is just more mature for the time being.
The MBP 15 inch I had to deploy yesterday was my first real up close and personal experience with a unibody MacBook, and I was impressed with the overall "goodness" of it's fit and finish.
The new 15 is a beast, the higher end one can run just about anything you throw at it.
Otherwise, try opera mini or mobile.
+1 on that, when I had a Berry I was running Opera on it cuz stock browser is beyond shit.
To be fair though....OS X is 10 years old too. Maybe one ages more gracefully than the other? (Although, to be fair, I still think XP looks and feels quite modern for something released nearly 11 years ago)
Well yes and no. OS X name has been around for 10 years but it's gone through 6 (soon 7) major releases. There have been quite a bit of work done both under the hood and on the GUI and new features and improvements have been introduced quite steadily. Not to mention complete switch of hardware platforms and a switch to x64.

XP had 3 service packs that mostly just rolled all the previous fixes into one install and I think introduced a couple of minor features. I agree that XP doesn't look too dated but it is very noticeably slower than Win 7 for instance.

If I wasn't so cheap, I would buy a 13" MBP. It's so damn sleek and solid feeling. Paying 1/3 of the cost for my laptop, which does everything I ask of it eg. play movies, surf the web, MS Office. I'm no power user but I do like that inherent feeling of quality of things made from metal.

If I wasn't so cheap, I would buy a 13" MBP. It's so damn sleek and solid feeling. Paying 1/3 of the cost for my laptop, which does everything I ask of it eg. play movies, surf the web, MS Office. I'm no power user but I do like that inherent feeling of quality of things made from metal.

I agree. They has look of quality that is just missing from most windows based laptops. If apple had put the i5's into the 2010 macbook pro 13", I would have gone for one of those other my thinkpad.

Yeah, no Windows PC looks as nice as the MacBook Pro line.

But Apple just make it so tough to buy stuff from them... they limit you so much with hardware options and whatnot. Plus their pricing is kind of deceiving... the base 13" MBP starts at a reasonable $1200 but a decent mid-range 15" model is considerably more expensive.

I got lucky and sold my Core 2 Duo 2010 13" right before the Sandy Bridge models were announced but I haven't replaced it yet. The MacBook Air is just so much nicer and more portable but quite under-specced for my needs. I'm really digging the Samsung Series 9 since you can get it with decent internals but it seems pretty pricey.