The "New Toys" Thread

I just noticed your location, how ironic :lol:

Huh?

Sony MDR-V6 / With quick review

Sony MDR-V6 / With quick review

I was pretty bored :lol:
Just wanted to share my expericence though the jurney of owning these for the ones who ever considered the boss and benchmark of Film, TV, Radio and Music industry.
And once you try them, probably the only headphones you'll ever need.

Pros

• Superb sound quality for producing, editing, reference and monitoring (Warm and lively specially with that sweet Rock and Techno)
  • Comfortable (You can fall and sleep while wearing them or use them for hours).
  • Very good sound insulation (High Attenuation of Ambient Noise).
  • Excellent build quality (This cans are built like a tank. Old school tough yet light and comfortable. Great balace).
  • Very long cable.
  • They come with vinyl carrying bag.
  • Compact and easily portable once folded.
  • Affordable and widely available (around $75 USD on amazon.com).
  • They are sensitive enough and don't require an amplifier (Having one just makes them sweeter).

Cons

• The too long cable can be irritating for casual use at times.
  • They have some kind of lame imprint on top that says "Studio Monitor".
  • You can't feel true boom like you can with speakers (but hey, no headphones can replicate that).
  • Ear pads prone to wear but easily replaceable. Popular mod is to upgrade with Beyerdynamic Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280, Sony MDR-7506 / MDR-V6

1000x500px-LL-a745e268_r0025486m.jpg
1416-1953-large.jpg
1416-1956-large.jpg

NOTE:
There are many others headphones, better and expensive ones for every taste and application.
If tempted be aware of eBay rip-offs and fake ones from China. Genuine ones are Made in Thailand (and Japan Although not many in stock).
Did I mentioned they are weapon of choice of Roger Waters, Paul Van Dyk and Mike Shinoda

Contenders in my firing line:
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.
Sony MDR-V700DJ (Girls like these =D).
Grado grado SR 60/80/125i (From great to fantastic if you don't mind leaking sound around you).

Higher range:
Beyerdynamic DT 1350
Shure SRH840
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Technology doesn't advance so quickly that last year's model is outdated, some decent savings can be had that way.
Even more savings today as the store decided to run my TV on sale, so I got ~?60 back. Woo! Sony have thought ahead when they designed the TV, like the TV's of old it has integrated handles so you can carry it around without touching the frame, and a little storage compartment for the plug and cable when you move it. Tiny details that just make you happy. Also I've discovered that PS3 Media Server loves Bravias, and now I am able to be even more lazy by having streams coming straight into the TV. Even supports Myp2p and Veetle, which is just crazy.

Last edited:
[*]They have some kind of lame imprint on top that says "Studio Monitor".

Seems like most studio monitors have writing on the top of the band. :/ Whatevs, monitors > designer/fashion cans with silly sound.

I got myself one of these (Right before my computer decided to start going insane, that is) to replace a broken headset:

17299.png

It's a Logitech G35, and while I'm no audio expert I really rather like it. Mic seems good, the 7.1 surround sound works pretty well as well. It takes a fair bit of adjustment to find a comfortable position however, but maybe my melon's a little bigger than average :p Most importantly to me, however, is that it has a durable, woven insulation cable. My previous headsets seemed to die on me very quickly because of cable issues, so I'm hoping that this might last me a bit.

Is the surround really as good as they say it is? The seem like pretty good value for the price and I'd love to spring for one if the surround capabilities are truly legit.

Built a new HTPC using my old mobo and Athlon x3 unlocked, and got me a new Phenom x4 925 and mobo for cheap. Damn am I impressed at what this 80 dollar chip can do, although now I realize I need a better cooler, which means I need a new case.

http://img198.imageshack.**/img198/6313/4ghz2.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1987483

Last edited:
Is the surround really as good as they say it is? The seem like pretty good value for the price and I'd love to spring for one if the surround capabilities are truly legit.

The surround sound is indeed very good, although I'm not an expert so you might want to look up the reviews, but all the reviews I've seen rate the sound very well.

Shure SRH840 Earpads (part number HPAEC840 for anyone interested) to replace my rather shoddy ATH-M50 pads
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/09/08/shure-hpaec840-replacement-ear-cushions-for-srh840-headphones_3228_500.jpg

Old ATH-M50 pads:
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/09/08/earpad1.png

SRH840 Pads installed and old pads on the left.
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/09/08/earpad2.png

As you can see, they're quite a bit bigger, and additionally, thicker. This results in better comfort but a reduction in bass and increase in treble (yay resonance, reflection and refraction). Fixed that with about an hour of fiddling with foobar2000's EQ :D

Seems like most studio monitors have writing on the top of the band. :/ Whatevs, monitors > designer/fashion cans with silly sound.

I couldn't have said it better myself mate.

I couldn't have said it better myself mate.

God I HATE them. A friend of mine has these and their sound is no better than my Klipsch S4i's despite the fact that mine are fucking EARBUDS. No telling it to the people who buy those though... Same with the BOSE crap, its just retarded...