The "New Toys" Thread

You're the first person I've noticed using it.

There are plenty of people who (mis)use the term, hence the twitch. It's almost always from non-tech-minded people. The sort of people for whom placement of the case is more important than what's inside it, so I guess I can't blame Humanscale for using it, but still...

Sometimes I'm too lazy to type out computer.

I call it the "tower"

"System unit"?

I will admit I also misuse you term CPU. I use CPU to refer to the computer case/tower and Processor to refer to the..processor. Its easier that way when dealing with non computer literate people. But now it has become a habit..

You're the first person I've noticed using it.
I've heard it both ways actually. It makes certain sense as CPU is a Central Processing Unit, technically the "tower" is where all the processing takes place hence it's a CPU :)

I've heard it both ways actually. It makes certain sense as CPU is a Central Processing Unit, technically the "tower" is where all the processing takes place hence it's a CPU :)

Would you refer to your car as "The ICE"? Technically it's where the internal combustion takes place.

I see where you're coming from, but "CPU" refers to something very specific. Theoretically, you could use the word "processor" in place of "computer", since the definitions of the words are similar, but you'd just be confusing people because they refer to two different and distinct things in context.

TS32GCF400.JPG

Two of these

Lexar-Professional-USB-3.0-Dual-slot-Reader-01.jpg

One of these

Would you refer to your car as "The ICE"? Technically it's where the internal combustion takes place.
Not a very good comparison since car is much more integrated. In a not all-in-one desktop the tower itself does your "central" processing, while the keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, etc.. do some "secondary" processing (as all have built-in controllers). To make it even more interesting what about server blades? All they have is the processing no storage usually.

The issue here is how loosely the word processing is defined, there is some sort of processing going on more or less everywhere even if it's as simple as DSP chip or a keyboard controller.
Now also keep in mind that these terms have been around since before microprocessors came out and CPU's used to take up boxes size of a wardrobe :p

This is going to sound like a stupid question, especially since I've built all of my computers for the last 12 years...is there a standard name for it without saying something like "tower or desktop....like...the actual 'computer' part" when talking to someon over the phone? "Hold down the power button on the _______ until it shuts down." I work with two people who think that their computer turns off by turning off the monitor.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, especially since I've built all of my computers for the last 12 years...is there a standard name for it without saying something like "tower or desktop....like...the actual 'computer' part" when talking to someon over the phone? "Hold down the power button on the _______ until it shuts down." I work with two people who think that their computer turns off by turning off the monitor.
Box or tower tends to work, otherwise its case.