The "New Toys" Thread

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'10 RX-8 R3, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I want to try the kodak printers that use some sort of powdered ink thats cheap to buy.
We have one. The hardware's great but the printer firmware is extremely unstable, crashing and locking up all the time, even just sitting idle. There have been a ton of updates that make no difference.

mooglebunny

Car(s)
2013 Mazda3i Touring SkyActiv
I thought that Epson printers had ink that can be cheaper to buy? My dad had one and he said that even the Epson branded cartridges were only a few dollars each instead of the normal $20-30 for one. I also might note that I am no printing expert by any means, I usually break printers somehow. :(

My Grandmother's Canon printer isn't super expensive, but it's not that sort of cheap either. I think the cartridges for it are under $20/cartridge and with the sort of printing she does it works out to be a good value for her. (She prints fairly regularly, but not at a high volume.) Personally, I want a laser printer because I have to print out a ton of stuff for school (documents that are 10+ pages, papers, etc.) and I'd rather do it on my own machine than pay $.10/page at school.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
If you go through a couple ink cartridges every year I would recommend buying a laser printer. Toner cartridges will last ten times as long and don't dry out.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
We have one. The hardware's great but the printer firmware is extremely unstable, crashing and locking up all the time, even just sitting idle. There have been a ton of updates that make no difference.
Ouch, well that's disappointing. :/

Yeah I saw/heard/read. I think they may have made a mistake. I know that my employer is slowly switching to digital only for photo processing.

We use kodak paper, chemicals (in wet labs...these are slowly disappearing as well), and other equipment + our various machines (I've personally used various noritsu, Gretag, and KIS machines) are serviced by Kodak as well.

While I still end up developing at least a roll of film every shift, people use the photo kiosks like crazy. Potentially selling those for extra cash is insane. Printing at home is annoying and time consuming for many people and things never look quite right. The kiosk makes printing and backing up your camera's memory card easy. Plus the prints that the kiosk prints instantly are waterproof.

Why not sell the cameras, printers, and online services that people take the photos with? It only makes sense since they want to go digital...don't just go halfway, have an end to end solution for consumers with clear messaging, something that they don't seem to be good at. I can't recall the last time I saw a Kodak digital camera ad, maybe actually telling the world that they sell/make cameras would have helped.

Last edited:

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Theoretically 15/5, but this is with the IPTV running:

Theoretical limit on my line is 60/23. I wonder how much they'd charge for that.

Cellos88GT

DONOR
Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
I want to try the kodak printers that use some sort of powdered ink thats cheap to buy.
Stay far far away. I had one and maybe used it 5-6 times? And it died less than a year after purchase. From then on, I decided I will never own another home printer.

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
?32 a month for the IPTV (100 channels) + internet package and another ?18 for 15/5.

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
I could get anything up to 60/23 on this line, but the site doesn't state anything higher than 15/5. They probably don't want normal people to think it's possible to be faster.

eltoro507

> ahpadt
Car(s)
French shitbox
If it's VDSL2 those max speeds will differentiate greatly due to distance/quality of copper, they probably just set a max at 15/5 so ppl wont complain they're paying the same as other with higher speeds.

deathrazor

Car(s)
2001 Honda Accord EX V6
That's not bad at all. I pay around $90/mo for 35/35 internet (no TV).
I always forget how spoiled I am in the Midwest, I pay $45 for 30/5, but could upgrade to 50/10 for $65 a month or 100/15 for $100 a month. Not sure why the uploads lag so far behind the downloads, but hey.

Also, once it's done doing the initial charge, I will have a shiny new Acer Iconia A200 to play with. :D

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
I always forget how spoiled I am in the Midwest, I pay $45 for 30/5, but could upgrade to 50/10 for $65 a month or 100/15 for $100 a month. Not sure why the uploads lag so far behind the downloads, but hey.

Also, once it's done doing the initial charge, I will have a shiny new Acer Iconia A200 to play with. :D
Yep that's cable speeds/prices, I can have the same if I wanted to. Couple of things though:
1) I actually use my up and even 15 is way too low
2) Speed was pretty unstable sometimes I'd have 30 sometimes I'd have 5 and UL was fluctuating so much that it wouldn't even be able to make normal request to server in time
3) Time Warner and Comcrap traffic shape, Optimum didn't but they (like all other cable providers) would not allow certain services w/o having "business" grade service such as HTTP server or FTP server.

Reason why UL is so slow is because the dedicate all your bandwidth to downstream since that's what most people prefer, if they did a synchronous connection they would basically have to half your DL (well roughly 100/15 would become 65/65) keep in mind that it would also impact your TV service and they don't want to do that.

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Just got this in great condition off ebay for a low low price of ?56 (seen them go for 100+) to replace my aftermarket headunit.

Won't be going in until I get one of these, though:

Doubt I can get that for really cheap, though. ?178 might be the lowest I can look at.