The "New Toys" Thread

I would never want a glossy keyboard. :blink: I am so fucking sick of "piano black."

I would never want a glossy keyboard. :blink: I am so fucking sick of "piano black."

This. I've never understood the appeal, even in cars.

How the fuck did marketers convince us that shiny, bottom-dollar plastic was desirable in even 40 to 50k cars, let alone electronics?

It's quickly becoming covered in fingerprints. :lol:

The way it looks isn't my biggest concern though, I already have a mish-mash of different coloured stuff on my desk.

Yeah, but looks are only half of it. A matte surface, compared to the same material but glossy, is inherently non-stick. For example, I don't believe there are any high-gloss non-stick pans.

I find glossy plastic to show too many finger/wrist/forarm prints, and not only also shows dust more easily, but also feels "sticky."

Yeah, but looks are only half of it. A matte surface, compared to the same material but glossy, is inherently non-stick. For example, I don't believe there are any high-gloss non-stick pans.

I find glossy plastic to show too many finger/wrist/forarm prints, and not only also shows dust more easily, but also feels "sticky."

If I get fed up with it (which is unlikely because my previous keyboard was piano black and I've had it for about 5 years) I'll take it apart and go over with this stuff. :)

PlastidipAreosolBlack.jpg

:lol: Back with the plasti-dip already, eh? :p You actually played with any yet?

Nah not yet. I'll keep finding uses for it until I try some and find out it's shit. If it turns out that it's not shit then you'll never shut me up. :D

Birthday present for GF:

515v78wH7YL._AA1000_.jpg

External battery for recharging devices on the go, with a bunch of adapters. 8400 mAh, can charge up to two devices at once. She wanted one 'cause she uses her Desire S a lot, and it often dies at an unconvenient time. Reviews of the unit on Amazon are pretty good, will see how good it does.

apple-macbook-air.jpg

The one i bought is a late 2010 revision. 11" 1.4Ghz C2D 2Gb Ram.

My old dell xps was showing its age and needed replacing. Bought the macbook air because of its portability. It'll also allow me to start messing around with iPhone/iPad development.

My old dell xps was showing its age and needed replacing. Bought the macbook air because of its portability. It'll also allow me to start messing around with iPhone/iPad development.

I'm actually 100% serious when I ask you to report if you actually find it any more portable. Sure it's lighter, but it's still the same size. Even if my laptop weighed exactly the same as my phone, I just don't think I would bring it with me any more than my current laptop. :think:

I'm actually 100% serious when I ask you to report if you actually find it any more portable. Sure it's lighter, but it's still the same size. Even if my laptop weighed exactly the same as my phone, I just don't think I would bring it with me any more than my current laptop. :think:

I've only had it a couple of hours but so far, its very nice. It's only slightly heavier than my gen1 iPad and only about 4cm longer. It may not have the best specs but It's still very quick due to the SSD and OSX in general. I'll make sure to report back in a week or so about its overall portability.

Birthday present for GF:

515v78wH7YL._AA1000_.jpg

External battery for recharging devices on the go, with a bunch of adapters. 8400 mAh, can charge up to two devices at once. She wanted one 'cause she uses her Desire S a lot, and it often dies at an unconvenient time. Reviews of the unit on Amazon are pretty good, will see how good it does.

While that thing seems like a good idea and seems to connect to pretty much everything, it does beg the question : just what is she doing with her phone that it can't last a day without a charge...

While that thing seems like a good idea and seems to connect to pretty much everything, it does beg the question : just what is she doing with her phone that it can't last a day without a charge...

My Desire HD wouldn't last a normal work day without being charged, and that consists of Bluetooth on for an hour, at least 30 minutes listening to music, Wifi on all evening, random use for browsing/games all day. It has to sit on the docking station most of the day.

8400mAh is impressive in something that small, when I was more into RC stuff 2000mAh on a 7.2V pack was considered pretty good.

I think it mostly does, but she regularly forgets to plug it in overnight. Plus sometimes she is away from home for more than a day.

My Desire HD wouldn't last a normal work day without being charged, and that consists of Bluetooth on for an hour, at least 30 minutes listening to music, Wifi on all evening, random use for browsing/games all day. It has to sit on the docking station most of the day.

8400mAh is impressive in something that small, when I was more into RC stuff 2000mAh on a 7.2V pack was considered pretty good.

The sub-C cells in an RC battery pack are very high discharge, even back then. Hook two of these up to one and you'll see lithium burn.

:dunno: it's about as large as two cell phones, but without the cell phone parts. One cell phone battery these days is around 2Ah, and it's considerably smaller than half a cell phone. Stuff 4-5 of them in this and you're there.