The "New Toys" Thread

Just got one of these, will serve as my remote access/download/transcoding box.
overview_hero.png

Just got one of these, will serve as my remote access/download/transcoding box.
View attachment 6733

:lol: It's sad that I assumed mac mini before I even saw the photo load!

I generally like the Mac Mini: I used one routinely at a older job and loved it. Surprisingly enough it was pretty stout for such a tiny machine: we had it running on dual monitors, with vmware fusion running on one screen and OS X on the other. Magic trackpad is amazing as well.

It's my favorite computer. So much power a in a little box. Costs as much as a full size tower but in a much smaller package. I find it more amazing when it's used in places that used to require much bigger machines.

It's a nice little machine I won't lie, not quite as fast as my MBP but at the same time it doesn't really need to be :) And as I posted in the other thread I would be very hard pressed to put a tower together for much less than that.

How much does it cost? While you could certainly not match the size, which I do think matters, I have a hard time believing a tower would come all that close in cost. Unless I'm over-estimating the cost of the Mini(which I'm assuming is the case).

EDIT: My phone will be arriving tomorrow, a day early :banana: Taking a half day at work so I can fondle it as soon as it arrives, though I now also have to do other crap now that I'll have the time.

Last edited:
Base mini is $600 with a dual core i5. You could build a PC for $400-500 that would match it I think (rough guestimate) but it would be larger and would require an OS. On the other hand, it would be much more modular for longevity. What's more important, I think, is that the Mini isn't absurdly priced compared to standard desktops you can buy in stores, though it is a bit expensive.

Oh ok, I somehow had it in my mind that it started closer to $800. At that price, I can definitely see it being a reasonable choice for many.

Base mini is $600 with a dual core i5. You could build a PC for $400-500 that would match it I think (rough guestimate) but it would be larger and would require an OS. On the other hand, it would be much more modular for longevity. What's more important, I think, is that the Mini isn't absurdly priced compared to standard desktops you can buy in stores, though it is a bit expensive.

Yep, last I priced out a machine to do what I got the mini for was around $500, thats not factoring in things like shipping and yes it would have been a regular tower. I could have put another tower in the "office" so size wasn't the biggest concern but it didn't hurt that its basically in a corner on top of the desk. Another thing is that the software that I am using for streaming (Air Video) is Windows/OS X, no Linux version (tho could probably be coaxed into working on Linux) and I'm just not that big of a Windows fan*.

*I am not a fanboi of any OS but I have a strong preference towards UNIX based OS's due to their stability.

EDIT: Another side effect of sticking with OS X is that I already have a Time Machine disk set up so all I had to do was point the mini to it as well.

Last edited:
I got an Intel 330 too, among other things...

:D:D

Intel Core i5 3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Intel 330 Series 180GB
Mushkin 800 Watts PSU
Corsair Carbide 500R (White)
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B

and one very important part is still on it's way

(yes its the floppy drive)

Just got myself a special new toy :)

561929_344884262227618_137196749663038_807208_548068704_n.jpg

iPhone 4 in black.

iphone-4-23yt-640.jpg

Yeah I know, it's only 8gb and it dosen't have that magical talking lady that's supposed to make my life awesome. It was cheap, and it's my first smartphone.

I also got a lifeproof case for it.

And before you get all upset that I bought this nearly obsolete piece of equipment. Keep in mind this preceded my iPhone.

samsung-convoy.jpg

I got this yesterday, a Motorola Xoom 10.1". It was a woot deal.

xoom-i-still-hate-how-it-is-spelled-6771.jpg

Note: Don't use it, or eat a sugar donut before taking pictures...

Following TechZ advice (and being unable to find a Logitech MX Anywhere), I got myself this:

Still not sure if I should have instead waited for the Logitech.

The Microsoft 4000 isn't bad. My mom has one, it feels slightly cheaper and less solid than the Logitech (not surprising at half the price), and the Logitech has a slightly nicer wheel imho, bad that's it.