The "New Toys" Thread

so my neighbur gave me this headset he bought from thailand:

some beats by dr. dre knockoffs :D
He never used these.

much bass, wow

Too many monitors are coming out without VESA. I just had a client say that they now want to provide a monitor arm for everyone. They just bought 1,100 monitors that have no method for mounting other than their own bases.

I thought about that, but then realized I didn't really care enough to trade performance for a VESA mount.

My ears keep being bothered by the in-ear types and I'm getting tired of the crappy Bluetooth audio quality and forgetting to charge the damn things hence having them die at random times, so got these.
71OLeSN9cAL._SL1500_.jpg

Too many monitors are coming out without VESA. I just had a client say that they now want to provide a monitor arm for everyone. They just bought 1,100 monitors that have no method for mounting other than their own bases.

The company I work for want to provide monitor arms too, it seems to be the in thing now. We didn't buy our monitors for the use but fortunately they work fine (Benq G2420 series).

Android has apps that will do that for SMS though. Ofc one could always just use Google Voice and have it "sync" up everywhere.

Yes, and sadly (or thankfully) Apple doesn't let third party devs have access to text messaging.

Yes, and sadly (or thankfully) Apple doesn't let third party devs have access to text messaging.
It's a bit moot these days anyways, everyone has data and therefore able to use Hangouts, Whatsapp or a million other IM services. iMessage is only nice in that it is built into everything and also uses burst transmission so doesn't have to reconnect for too long.

I don't see how you couldn't define your phone as the primary SMS device via your carrier so that if you sent to a non iMessage contact using a non mobile carrier connected device, it routed via your phone. There would need to be some checks and balances put in place.

New toys for the week:

A Phonejoy!
[Shameless plug]
It's actually the gamepad the company I work for is making, we've worked quite hard on it and just finished the first batch of a few hundreds controllers and they're now ready to sell on phonejoy.com
Let me know if you want to buy one or want more informations :)
[/Shameless plug]

I also accidentally an Olympus OM-D E-M5! The price was just too good to not buy it. This is why you shouldn't wander off in used gear markets.
It's got a few scratches here and there, but nothing too bad, especially for the price (300 Euros).

The company I work for want to provide monitor arms too, it seems to be the in thing now. We didn't buy our monitors for the use but fortunately they work fine (Benq G2420 series).

I like my monitor up higher, and my GF is 5' 0" so having it adjustable is great. Also, my desk at home is only 20" deep, so anything that shrinks the monitor's footprint is a benefit.

It's insane to me that modern monitors don't all have VESA mounting. Do they charge a lot to have it on there?

Be glad you don't have apple monitors. Not only do they not support VESA natively, but from what I understand there have been at least 3 different versions/generations. One, where you buy an adaptor for $39. One where you had to tell them when you order the monitor if you want to mount it or not, and it's not easily retrofitted, and one that it's not possible at all.

On non Apple monitors, it's generally just a case of the monitors having a stylized base, or trying to be as slim as possible.

Asrock Mini ITX motherboard
ASRock%20H87E-ITXac%20Mini%20ITX%20Motherboard.jpg

650 Platinum PSU
650.png

Combined with my Fractal Node 304, 8 GB of ram and my 4770k I made a nice little HTPC.

I also picked up a pair of 290s one of which unlocked to a 290x
ASUS-Radeon-R9-290X_3D.jpg

Schiit M and M stack
EDD_5828.jpg

Last edited:
It's insane to me that modern monitors don't all have VESA mounting. Do they charge a lot to have it on there?

When I was shopping for IPS monitors, I notice that a lot of the entry models didn't have VESA mounts, it was rather annoying as there are several models that would be perfect for a 'floating' eyefinity setup.

I thought about that, but then realized I didn't really care enough to trade performance for a VESA mount.

Not entirely sure what you mean by performance... but for my baseline requirements (wide-gamut IPS) VESA mounts are standard (I have three U2410s at home and a 2408 at work). Same goes for pretty much any business/professional monitor....

When I was shopping for IPS monitors, I notice that a lot of the entry models didn't have VESA mounts, it was rather annoying as there are several models that would be perfect for a 'floating' eyefinity setup.

I need a set of arms that'll take 3 24" monitors and lock them respective to each other for my home setup... floating nv surround would be nice.

Finally put in an order for one of these babies, as they just became available this afternoon:
1062900.jpg

(Olympus OM-D E-M10)

I need a set of arms that'll take 3 24" monitors and lock them respective to each other for my home setup... floating nv surround would be nice.

The Workrite Sequioa can handle 3 monitors with a physical width of up to 23". Your 24" monitors may not be that wide, since the 24" is a diagonal measurement.
http://www.workriteergo.com/products/monitor-arms/sequoia/

The Humanscale ParaFlex can support up to three 26"monitors with the long arms. It's a two post system that only offers height adjustability of the full unit, but no forward extension...and it's nto a height you want to adjust all the time. Pay no attention to the list price. Assume you can get it for about 35% off if you buy through a commercial dealer.
http://humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=Para/Flex

paraflex_image5.jpg

If you want a triple monitor/single arm unit to act like a single monitor/single arm unit, in terms of movement, you're pretty much limited to 18" monitors (at largest). Also, the more weight you have on each desk mounting location (stand, edge clamp or grommet clamp), and the more you add movement and asjustability, you run into possible issues with shaking/boucing if you type with fervor.

Amazon's free shipping made me laugh when I saw the tracking. I live in Toronto, everything bought online in canada comes from either the GTA or Vancouver, but it's only VanCity when it's a Vancouver based company. The free shipping was like 5-6 business days or something. Ordered on a sunday, didn't ship until friday because it couldn't possibly not get to me next (business) day. GJ meeting your estimated delivery date, dudes, hehehe.

Anyways, dese VModa M100s are really comfortable, feel quite light despite the metal build. They sound fantastic right out of the box, can't wait to hear them in a couple days after they're burned in. I'll probably just leave them at home playing music all day tomorrow. Also got the optional headset cable, literally just a cable with a boom mic on a posable arm, which is badass since I don't want no ding dang gaming headset. I need an extension cable though, the stock cables are too short if I want to be able to use it on the couch.