The "New Toys" Thread

ASUS-Fixes-Vulnerabilities-in-RT-N66U-RT-N66R-and-RT-N66W-Routers.jpg
Finally pulled the trigger, holy crap the difference is astounding!

View attachment 12494
Finally pulled the trigger, holy crap the difference is astounding!

And then one day you go "fuck it. I'm going full retard and putting pfSense in charge" and it's a whole new world of reliability anc control you never knew existed...

(I've been dealing with some dd-wrt bugs lately on a WNDR3700 at work, don't ask why I need dd-wrt on a work router)

And then one day you go "fuck it. I'm going full retard and putting pfSense in charge" and it's a whole new world of reliability anc control you never knew existed...

(I've been dealing with some dd-wrt bugs lately on a WNDR3700 at work, don't ask why I need dd-wrt on a work router)

You can install pfSense on these? /me runs out to buy one.

If I ever have the need for a new router again, i'm probably going to buy something without wi-fi geared towards small business. But right now I'm stuck with what my cable ISP gave me. Good thing is it works, as long as you keep the wi-fi turned off at least.

Since the old PCH doesn't work with my new TV, had to get the only other affordable native player on the market, WDTV Live. I hate the interface, but this is the only thing that does what I need.

If I ever have the need for a new router again, i'm probably going to buy something without wi-fi geared towards small business. But right now I'm stuck with what my cable ISP gave me. Good thing is it works, as long as you keep the wi-fi turned off at least.

This is kind of what I do, I got the Actiontec that ISP gave me but wi-if is off on it and using a different router for wi-fi only.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the old PCH doesn't work with my new TV, had to get the only other affordable native player on the market, WDTV Live. I hate the interface, but this is the only thing that does what I need.

They are quite versatile I got 2 lying around the house right now, replaced them with a Roku 3.

They are quite versatile I got 2 lying around the house right now, replaced them with a Roku 3.

I know, we have 4, doesn't make me hate the interface any less

I dislike the delay in the menu, but more the bugs and issues I every now and then experience with the usage of the wifi-access. It frequently fails at finding my shared folders, so I switched to plex media server. Still it keept not finding the network-stuff until I reconnected the wifi, sometimes multiple times until it worked. Since the last fw-upgrade that is mostly gone, in this variation at least. Now it keeps loosing the wifi-connection (or more the connectivity) as soon as it hits the screensaver (in the menu or even when paused a wifi-streamed video). Then I have to either "test" wifi and it suddenly works again, or try to reconnect it as often as it takes until it decides to work again. Warranty is up, dont wanna deal with anything else, so I stick to "dont let it go into screensaver mode" and it works just fine.

Logitech Anywhere MX.

So far, so good. I'm very peculiar about mice and the way they track, but this seems to be something I can get used to. I hope.

Last edited:
I dislike the delay in the menu, but more the bugs and issues I every now and then experience with the usage of the wifi-access. It frequently fails at finding my shared folders, so I switched to plex media server. Still it keept not finding the network-stuff until I reconnected the wifi, sometimes multiple times until it worked. Since the last fw-upgrade that is mostly gone, in this variation at least. Now it keeps loosing the wifi-connection (or more the connectivity) as soon as it hits the screensaver (in the menu or even when paused a wifi-streamed video). Then I have to either "test" wifi and it suddenly works again, or try to reconnect it as often as it takes until it decides to work again. Warranty is up, dont wanna deal with anything else, so I stick to "dont let it go into screensaver mode" and it works just fine.
I had a bug where it would reboot as soon as it connected to network, ANY network. Originally it was on wired but wi-fi did the same...

Now that I'm living somewhere with room for my stereo, I finally got myself a decent turntable, replacing the crappy entry-level DJ on I got as a hand-me-down years ago. There is basically only one good option for the amount of money I wanted to spend, so I am the proud new owner of a Pro-Ject Carbon Debut:

I'm using a Rolls VP29 preamp to feed the signal into my Adcom GTP-450 head unit, Parasound Halo a23 Power Amp, and my Paradigm Atom speakers.

I've only had it for a day so far, but I'm very happy with it. It's beautiful, well made, and sounds great. The cartridge that came with it is very respectable (Ortofon 2M Red), and requires about 1/2 as much weight as my previous table's cartridge, so I'm a lot less worried about wear on my records as well.

Last edited:
The cartridge that came with it is very respectable (Ortofon 2M Red), and requires about 1/2 as much weight as my previous table's cartridge, so I'm a lot less worried about wear on my records as well.

It's a solid cart providing a very neutral sound, the bass leaves a little bit more to be desired, but it's not bad.

It's a solid cart providing a very neutral sound, the bass leaves a little bit more to be desired, but it's not bad.

I'm using speakers with 5" woofers. I doubt I'll notice. In several years if I move and can use my big speakers I'll reevaluate the cartridge.

You can install pfSense on these? /me runs out to buy one.

Sorry to dissapoint, but no. I was referring to snapping and going full retard and getting an x86 machine, sticking a server-grade multiport ethernet card into said machine and converting all exiting wireless routers into dump APs. Oh, and usually with the full-retard move, you also somehow find yourself using a 24-52 port rackmount switch ?_?

Sorry to dissapoint, but no. I was referring to snapping and going full retard and getting an x86 machine, sticking a server-grade multiport ethernet card into said machine and converting all exiting wireless routers into dump APs. Oh, and usually with the full-retard move, you also somehow find yourself using a 24-52 port rackmount switch ?_?

Well now I'm sad :( pfSense is quite amazing I gotta give it that.

Final bit for the TV, Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting Kit x4