The "New Toys" Thread

On the same note, I got this from eBay

$_12.JPG

5m of RGB LED strip with remote and controller. No power supply, already have one.

Loose_Unit has some of that! Maybe he can chime in.

What are your plans for it?

Well now I'm sad :( pfSense is quite amazing I gotta give it that.

Find an old Core 2 or newer Dell Optiplex.... I've seen 802.11n routers cost more... Seriously.. Paid ~100AUD for mine in 2011, and only last week saw one go for under 50AUD shipped XD

PS: proper servercards may cost you though, so you may want to get those first....

I work sometimes for a 6 hour stretch, into the night, what use is this software then... when i can have a bias light on 24/7

Yeah, I was about to say. I pictured myself sitting and editing photos into the night, while this thing is slowly changing the colors over time :D

It's also hideous and just ruins everything. This has gotten me thinking though, that I'm going to need some bias lighting when we move.

It's also hideous and just ruins everything.

I completely disagree. I can hardly stand to look at a computer/phone without it at night, although I do turn off some of the more aggressive settings they've added recently. In fact, it's one of the only reasons I still jailbreak my iPhone (the other being TetherMe).

Granted, all I use the computer for is terminal, web, and email, so I don't need color accuracy.

Forgot to mention i bought this as well for 10$

Because while bias lights are good, they are not so good when you want to sleep and turning them off is a right pain without a clean toggle switch, only need 2 of the 7 but extra ports are always useful and they didnt have anything smaller local...

The current hub i was using will go to the TV with the new lights, since the TV cuts power to USB itself, while the PC is on 24/7 but only has 2 bias light strips

Last edited:
I completely disagree. I can hardly stand to look at a computer/phone without it at night, although I do turn off some of the more aggressive settings they've added recently. In fact, it's one of the only reasons I still jailbreak my iPhone (the other being TetherMe).

Granted, all I use the computer for is terminal, web, and email, so I don't need color accuracy.

My solution for that: I have a lamp on my desk, that turned away provides a decent amount of passive light, nicely compensating for the screen, without making it daylight in the room..

__KGrHqJHJBYFBUdNooEcBRw-_BU75g__60_35.JPG

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB

It's combo wifi/bluetooth. I replaced this with the one in my samsung series 3 laptop. The original Atheros card only did 2.4ghz where this does 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Forgot to mention i bought this as well for 10$

Because while bias lights are good, they are not so good when you want to sleep and turning them off is a right pain without a clean toggle switch, only need 2 of the 7 but extra ports are always useful and they didnt have anything smaller local...

The current hub i was using will go to the TV with the new lights, since the TV cuts power to USB itself, while the PC is on 24/7 but only has 2 bias light strips

That's pretty nifty. I hope that hole next to the cable is for auxiliary power?

That's pretty nifty. I hope that hole next to the cable is for auxiliary power?

Most probably, but it didn't come with a wall socket or any info of the plug (rating/voltage etc) and I'll probably never need it where its being placed :p

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB

It's combo wifi/bluetooth. I replaced this with the one in my samsung series 3 laptop. The original Atheros card only did 2.4ghz where this does 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

...and now I've got the idea to do the same with my laptop. Thanks for that.

:|

Last edited:
Most probably, but it didn't come with a wall socket or any info of the plug (rating/voltage etc) and I'll probably never need it where its being placed :p

It's most certainly 5V DC, with as many amps as your devices need combined.

The plug polarity is the important bit.