The "New Toys" Thread

When did phones become cumbersome?

It controls my Pandora, my google music, and my notifications. When I'm in the car, all I have to do to switch songs is hit a button on the watch (Or the steering wheel, actually....). When someone messages me, it's as easy as turning my wrist to see the watch. Much more convenient than pulling out my phone at a red light.

Idiots. You mean what idiots want.

6" phones have no business in the range of actual everyday-portable communication devices. Too big to fit anywhere or to handle remotely properly with one hand.

Ok, and now the fanboys of bigger-is-always-better can start hating.
This is actually one of the contributing factors to my sticking with Apple so far, all the good Android phones are giant.
- - - Updated - - -

It controls my Pandora, my google music, and my notifications. When I'm in the car, all I have to do to switch songs is hit a button on the watch (Or the steering wheel, actually....). When someone messages me, it's as easy as turning my wrist to see the watch. Much more convenient than pulling out my phone at a red light.

Now put a big winter coat on and tell me how easy it is to get to your wrist.

Admittedly, those take a spec downgrade in comparison to the real proper flagships. I think the only one that doesn't is the Xperia Z1 Compact. If sony still has an iota of common sense they'll pull the same trick with its successor

Considering there's less screen resolution to push, the drop in CPU speed and ram size isn't that noticable.

Compared to a 5S it is. Apple are ahead in the performance/screensize segment.

Different phone size offerings for different hand sizes. I have small hands, and my 4s fits perfectly in them.

Supposedly this summer/fall Apple is coming out with a phablet to compete with the likes of the Galaxy Note, but they'll still have normal-sized iPhones. (I said summer/fall because no one knows which order the 6 or phablet are coming out in.)

Compared to a 5S it is. Apple are ahead in the performance/screensize segment.

This! Android is a heavy OS because of it's reliance on Java and taking a hit on the power behind that OS is not something I would ever want to do, not to mention less battery life because smaller battery. So comparing iPhone vs similarly sized Droid the iPhone wins.

If I can get a faster phone with similar foot print why bother with getting a slower one?

Well Apples ancient 3.5" or w/e that was is just silly small. At least they upgraded it with the 5 to a bearable size. But it being apple and the OS and pricetag going with that, is still a no-go for me ;). But then again, I also think the same about the "big Adroids", minus the OS-issue :D.

Not bad though r/mechanicalkeyboards is full of BW haters, especially since they switched to Kailh switches.

Yeah I posted on there and got 3 metric ass-tons of downvotes. Little do they know that I got the board for $7.50 out-of-pocket and that this is a trial run of the board and I can feel free to walk the 1/4 mile to the BB to exchange it for another one :rolleyes:

HTC is the main reason I went running towards an iPhone. I had a Desire HD which was so buggy I wanted to kill myself (it also went through 3 mainboards, none worked). And these new, always bigger android phones anger me so much that I probably won't go back in the near future.

This looks natural.
Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Review-I-Thought-the-Stylus-was-Dead-picture-by-TechnoBuffalo.jpg

Last edited:
Well Apples ancient 3.5" or w/e that was is just silly small. At least they upgraded it with the 5 to a bearable size. But it being apple and the OS and pricetag going with that, is still a no-go for me ;). But then again, I also think the same about the "big Adroids", minus the OS-issue :D.

AFAIK Galaxy S5 is same price as the Apple 5s, so pricetag is not really a big concern to me. I never felt that the old iPhone was too small either tbh, I just don't see much value in a big ass phone that is problematic to fit into pockets. If I need a bigger screen might as well bring a tablet.

Considering there's less screen resolution to push, the drop in CPU speed and ram size isn't that noticable.

CPU, not so much, I agree, but RAM? Android LOVES having shittons of RAM thanks to it's Garbage Collected memory management. I have been known to max out 2GiB of RAM to the point where the app I was using just up and died ,and currently, flagships have 2GiB or 3GiB of RAM... And yet the mini versions HTC, Samsung and LG put out are all gimped down to 1GiB of RAM, while Sony manages to keep their compact designs at full CPU speed and RAM allocation... with similar battery life besides having over 25% less battery capacity.

since my b'day was this week, i got myself a present: lumia 1020

(not my picture)
lumia-1020-back.jpg

and a plether cover for it, have bad memories of broken gorillaglass nokia pureview 808.

The correct Aux audio input adapter for my Mustang.

10368610_10152483658783653_1315619893_o.jpg

It fools the satellite input into thinking I'm using satellite radio. Works flawlessly.