The "New Toys" Thread

how much was it on before? somehow i've never really seen a RAM upgrade make that much of a perceived difference :D

Since I (very infrequently) work from home and access work systems via Remote Desktop I managed to talk the boss into funding a RAM upgrade for my early 2011 Macbook since it's been somewhat glacial lately.

16GB RAM installed last night and holy cow! Damn thing is now faster than tuna vindaloo through an albatross.

:dance:
Awesome! Jelly, my 2009 can only handle 8 GB :(
Do you have an SSD in it?

Actually the early 2011 model can only go up to 8GB according to Apple however some research told me you can go to 16GB unsupported. Might be worth investigation. PM Spectre with your exact model details and he should be able to confirm or deny.

Actually the early 2011 model can only go up to 8GB according to Apple however some research told me you can go to 16GB unsupported. Might be worth investigation. PM Spectre with your exact model details and he should be able to confirm or deny.
That's the same machine I got, yes you can go to 16, the OS and the motherboard both support it, Apple just never sold it with more than 8 from the factory.

I've been remoting into my work laptop with a Chromebook (an ARM powered model no less!) And its worked surprisingly well. The biggest bottleneck surprisingly is my work laptop.

Going to try to make a reliable wi-fi network in a larger building on the cheap.

Three of these are being shipped to me at the moment. Asus RT-N12 D1.

Two of them will be used in Access Point mode wired to a DSL modem/router, and a third one as a wireless range extender for one of the previously mentioned ones.

I'm giving the install an 80% chance of success, seeing as it will be used very very sporadically. The incoming bandwidth is also very low. The reason I'm installing this is that the building is a dead zone for most (all?) cellular providers here. GSM works fine, but data not so much.

Last edited:
its amazing how appealing a train on a near circular track is, i watched the whole thing and now i want our lego trains here

Found some "Made in U.S.-Zone-Germany" :lol:

We stock all sorts of rare and odd bulbs for all sorts of 12V and 24V vehicles. Just a couple of years ago we topped up our stock of, IIRC, 12V P45T bulbs. The incandescent predecessor to H4. The 10-pack that arrived had lots of shelf dust on it and said "Made in the GDR" :lol:

One of these to replace my poor Gen 3 that had lost a battle with a Manhattan sidewalk
apple-ipad-air-640x360.jpg
Local electronics store had a deal for $100 off the MSRP so I got it for $400 instead of the usual $500

Harga+Acer+Liquid+Z4+Dengan+Spsifikasi+Lengkap.jpg

New phone for Mrs NooDle since the other one fell in a lake. Her first smartphone too (yes she's one of those people) and she trusted me completely with this choice.

Now off to lecture on Android 101

Three of these are being shipped to me at the moment. Asus RT-N12 D1.
Took delivery, configured, installed. Seems to work fine. Time will tell if they're reliable. Really easy to get up and running with, in any case.

Picked up some geek tools the other day:

Velleman VTLAN5 ethernet cable tester. Basically, you turn it on and it sends power over the leads one at a time and lights up a corresponding LED. The other end has the same setup of LEDs. If they light up in the same order, you know everything is OK. It cost about 12 euros, I think. I'm not going to buy a 500 euro Fluke just for my own hobbies.

This came in handy...

And a cheap RJ45 crimp tool.

... mostly because of this. I should've spent 4x the money and bought a Knipex or something.

One hour before we left for vacation i bought a Tomtom rider.

TomTom-RIDER-5-Boxshot.png

Impulse purchases are the best.