The "New Toys" Thread

Just got a Logitech G5 to replace my dying MX518. It's basically the same mouse with a few extra bells and whistles (sensitivity LED indicator, adjustible weights, etc.) and most importantly: a better cord that isn't supposed to short out after about a year!

707.1.0.jpg

I bought something a bit more efficient to cool my slightly overclocked x2 4000+. The standard hsf was working pretty ok until the fan began making an ugly noise. I tried to fix the situation by replacing the stock fan with a slightly bigger 80x80mm Papst fan, but performance was rather lousy (I got the temps a bit over 70C while stressing the cpu, which was too much for my liking. Now I'm running this ->

50494_01.jpg

Nexus AXM-8200. Not the cheapest one I could've bought, but it was available straight from the shelf and I needed it asap. Well, actually it was quite cheap at 32,90e, costing roughly half of what most hsf's cost these days :) And a pretty good performer as well: the cpu is barely 7-8 degrees over the ambient temperature while the fan is running at 50% speed, which is nice and quiet. Even under stress it was 20C cooler than the stock heatsink with the papst fan :p

Unless you just buy Yate loon fans, who are OEM for nexus, so same product for like 3$.

Anyways, my new toy, just got it in the mail (may only make sense to the Germans here....):
DSC00187.jpg

isn't that some sort of car registration sticker? but 1988? :?

isn't that some sort of car registration sticker? but 1988? :?

I seem to remember something about Germany now having environmental zones that you cannot drive into unless you have the correct permit. I assume to stop the most polluting cars from entering the various zones. I think there are 4 different types of zone with this pass allowing klankymen to essentially drive unhindered as it's the highest pass (the greenest).
I may be completely wrong however.

I seem to remember something about Germany now having environmental zones that you cannot drive into unless you have the correct permit. I assume to stop the most polluting cars from entering the various zones. I think there are 4 different types of zone with this pass allowing klankymen to essentially drive unhindered as it's the highest pass (the greenest).
I may be completely wrong however.

Well done! rep power to you.

NooDle, the 1988 part of the sticker can be explained by looking in my avatar....

Got this tonight when I wasn't intending on buying it in the first place since I already *acquired* the offline version...

http://img88.imageshack.**/img88/9216/gtrevovd6.jpg

Gonna play it with this:
http://img111.imageshack.**/img111/6415/img0648tf8.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.**/img297/7159/gtrevog25xe8.jpg
Just wanted to put it all together for some live action on Nordschliefe. Guess it's hard to see but i'm driving the BMW M3 Challenge Mod. (Love the E92)

Gonna play it with this:
http://img111.imageshack.**/img111/6415/img0648tf8.jpg

Here's the questions on my mind. First, when you shift do you only have the option of up or down or can you go through the gates like a real shifter. Second, what's the steering feel and pedal feel like? Is it remotely close to the real thing?

I know I just did a serious upgrade of my computer but I was helping a friend pick out a sub woofer for his home theater and came across a good pair of speaker at a good price that I couldn't turn down. No pun intended. They are Polk TSi 300s and I must say they are worth every penny after tuning the system with them it sounds ten times better.

TSi%20300%202.jpg

TSi%20300%201.jpg

^ Do you live in the local games console museum by any chance? :D

Don't have my new toy yet, but I ordered it this morning. With part my first wage I've bought an Icybox RAID NAS drive, a pair of Seagate 500GB HDDs and a copy of Acronis True Image 11. I'm very chuffed.

Here's a pic of the NAS drive from the intarwebz.

IB-NAS4220-B.jpg

that's the 606 right? great choice, what'd you pay for it?

Yep, $369 or whatever from newegg. 3 day shipping for free as well. I have to say, the auto speaker calibration was wonderful, I'm quite happy with it. There are two other brands I'd have preferred, but I didn't have a spare $8000 for a receiver laying around :lol:

Here's the questions on my mind. First, when you shift do you only have the option of up or down or can you go through the gates like a real shifter. Second, what's the steering feel and pedal feel like? Is it remotely close to the real thing?

To answer your questions:
1) Shifting: You can set the shifter to either sequential up/downs or do like a real car's 6 gear shifter + reverse. The shifter's kind of weak, not a lot of resistance when you push it into gear, but 'm just really used to my WRX's stiff shifter.

2) Steering and pedals: Steering wheel wise, this is probably the BEST force feedback I have played with. I have used a Driving Force Pro for 2 years and this is amazing. Pedals: Nothing else is better than this G25. First the material is amazing, it's solid metal so it is highly sturdy. Second, the feel. The gas is soft to push in, like a real car. The clutch is stiffer to push in, like a real car. Third, the brake pedal is simply AMAZING. It's very very stiff, stiffer than my real car so braking control is very good.

Overall this wheel costed me $209 USD. My DFP cost $80 and this wheel is definitely more than 2x the value. It's very worth it, VERY VERY worth it. The steering is way nicer, leather bound, awesome feel, awesome response.