The "New Toys" Thread

Transfering data from the first Macbook Pro to the latest Macbook Pro via Firewire 400 to Firewire 800.

macbookpr

Only with other Mac freaks. Next Ring meet, eh, Kill Panda? Derek will be there. ;)

Btw, why french have azerty written on their keyboards? And germans qwertz? Seems bit illogical.

edit: Apparently it has something to do with letter frequencies, but still.

Us Belgiumers too! AZERTY sucks though. Yes some letters are easier to find (I think it's easier because I use A a lot more than Q or W) but then again we need 2 fingers to do . or ? which is kinda annoying.

I didn't know Germans had another kind! I thought it was just AZERTY and QWERTY

Oh my god this computer is good !

P1040272.jpg

I just got my new Macbook Pro myself, replacing my 3 year old 1st gen Macbook Pro. It still worked well, just getting noisy and since it was a 32-bit Core2 Duo I was stuck at 2 GB RAM. Now my wife will inherit that one.

Transferred my old Mac's contents over (Apple makes this easy, so now it's like I'm still using my old computer only faster), had to reinstall VMWare and my VPN client, everything else so far has worked. And last night I applied my "Invisible Shield" to protect it from scratches. I'll take some pics once it's had time to cure.

So far I'm not to crazy about the unibutton track pad, takes some getting used to. The keyboard is just like the Air, the speaker grille is tiny perforations (I got so much debris in my old one I think that won't happen anymore). The hard drive is accessible easily instead of disassembling the whole laptop (yeah!). All the ports are on one side (finally!).

If you're tempted to max our RAM wait until Snow Leopard comes out. The official limit is 4GB, the current software limit is 6GB and the chipset can handle 16GB.

This is assuming the SODIMMs qualify.

Intel Crestline-based notebooks (Apple, HP, etc) can technically handle 8GB. Again this assumes the SODIMMs qualify. I have a late 2007 iMac and the early 2008 Macbook Pro that are based on Intel Crestline and I can't wait for Snow Leopard to potentially allow 8GB of RAM on them. Hopefully 4GB SODIMMs modules will cost below $100.

Aperture will go much much faster. :D
I just got my new Macbook Pro myself, replacing my 3 year old 1st gen Macbook Pro. It still worked well, just getting noisy and since it was a 32-bit Core2 Duo I was stuck at 2 GB RAM. Now my wife will inherit that one.

Transferred my old Mac's contents over (Apple makes this easy, so now it's like I'm still using my old computer only faster), had to reinstall VMWare and my VPN client, everything else so far has worked. And last night I applied my "Invisible Shield" to protect it from scratches. I'll take some pics once it's had time to cure.

So far I'm not to crazy about the unibutton track pad, takes some getting used to. The keyboard is just like the Air, the speaker grille is tiny perforations (I got so much debris in my old one I think that won't happen anymore). The hard drive is accessible easily instead of disassembling the whole laptop (yeah!). All the ports are on one side (finally!).

If you're tempted to max our RAM wait until Snow Leopard comes out. The official limit is 4GB, the current software limit is 6GB and the chipset can handle 16GB.

This is assuming the SODIMMs qualify.

Intel Crestline-based notebooks (Apple, HP, etc) can technically handle 8GB. Again this assumes the SODIMMs qualify. I have a late 2007 iMac and the early 2008 Macbook Pro that are based on Intel Crestline and I can't wait for Snow Leopard to potentially allow 8GB of RAM on them. Hopefully 4GB SODIMMs modules will cost below $100.

Aperture will go much much faster. :D

Technically, Mac OS X already supports lots of RAM, you can put 16 or 32GB in a Mac Pro ! :)

:lol:

It's on it's way now though with UPS. The only downside is my house is always near the end of their run, so I will have to wait till 17:00 or something.

Still happy with yours? :p

Was that new or used? How much faster is it compared to a f/1.8? :)

New for ?288 including shipping. Hasn't arrived yet but had the use of one while I was covering an event in the UK during the summer. AF is okay on it, no where near L speed though and it struggles in low light. To counter this I usually just use the AF beam on the 580EX with the flash turned off.

f1.4 is wiiiiiide. The best example when using it which made me say 'I'm buying one of these' was at two o'clock in the morning, in a poorly lit industrial estate. The guys were 'live mapping' the RX7 by doing repeat runs along this straight stretch of road.

ISO1600, f1.4 and 1/60th of a second was overexposing that scene :blink: