The "New Toys" Thread

finishedstack1.jpg

finishedstack2.jpg

Just finished building these in time for christmas break! :drool:

No brand. I built them myself!

Thanks for the headsup! No, I actually built them from scratch. :D

They're based off a design by John Krutke, the ZBM4.

I posted some details on the construction on diyaudio if anyone wants to see how I went about it.

Wow, that's cool. Do you actually understand all those graphs and stuff? :) If so, respect!

Are they cheaper / do they sound better than similar models from premium brands? Or is it just for the joy of making them? :)

Wow, that's cool. Do you actually understand all those graphs and stuff? :) If so, respect!

Most of the stuff. Partially due to my electrical engineering studies, partially just from studying the matter for so long. (The reason why I'm so thrilled to be done perfectly in time for christmas is because I started in springtime :D )

However don't understand enough to design an entire speaker from scratch.

Are they cheaper / do they sound better than similar models from premium brands? Or is it just for the joy of making them? :)

A bit of both. Considering they ran me around 75? per speaker (that's about 100$, but you could build them for 75$ in cheap USA), they're cheaper than anything any hifi manufacturer offers, but definitely as good by sound quality as an entry level offering from a good hifi company.

Also it's partially the fun, and the experience of building it (I've never done any woodworking or soldering before), although it has also been annoying at times.

Oh and consider I spent about 20 hours per speaker (divided up that is, I didn't actually build them indivdually), so depending how you value your time, that's 200? extra to the cost of each speaker :D

Nice, you did some Zaph stuff! I'm still working on a set of these, finishing the chassis in knotted pine:

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

Awesome! I'd love to see pics when you're done! How are they coming along?

Awesome! I'd love to see pics when you're done! How are they coming along?

Slowly! I don't have room for a workshop in my house, so I borrow my GF's grandfather's woodworking shop and I haven't had time to work on them very much. I think I'll do the crossover wiring next since I can do that at home.

Yay, my Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW is here! So much more space it's ridiculous!

Hell yes! Finally got my new PC up and running!! :D Downloading GTA IV and Fallout 3 right now (C'mon, not gonna spend money on a DRM'ed GTA, since I cant even be sure if it works.. Fallout 3 I will buy if I like it, but gonna test with warez first)

Time to lay down the old Dell Optiplex GX-240 warhorse to rest:)

New specs:
Abit AB9 Pro mb
Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz, will Oc up to ~3.0Ghz(?), already has a Zalman HSF installed.
2Gb ddr2 800mhz, might add more in the future
Nvidia Geforce 8800gt 512mb
300GB WD Hd
Nexus Caterpillar case
Some 660watt PSU, can't remember the brand.
Linksys Wlan card (Don't even have Wlan, good for stealing it from neighbours though :p)

Will post pictures later.

^ Funny you don't want to purchase GTA IV, seeing as how purchasing it is actually the easiest and quickest way to never be bothered by SecuROM crap. :rolleyes:

But with 2 gigs of RAM and an 8800GT you might actually not be able to run it at a playable level.

^ Funny you don't want to purchase GTA IV, seeing as how purchasing it is actually the easiest and quickest way to never be bothered by SecuROM crap. :rolleyes:

But with 2 gigs of RAM and an 8800GT you might actually not be able to run it at a playable level.

We'll see if I can, im running Xp 32bit so more free memory than I would have in Vista. :) And Its not just the Securom in GTA IV, these videos perfectly illustrate why I don't want to pay money for IV:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dUZU7OP9jo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7p-Lh7uEg&feature=related[/youtube]

Oh noez, you mean it automatically installed Adobe Flash on my system?

Damn, I want my money back Cockstar.

Got my christmas present from work yesterday :mrgreen:
8297.jpg

(and since both me and my wife work for the same employer, we now have 2 of these)

OH MY GOD YES! THAT IS AMAZING