The "New Toys" Thread

problem with gta 4 is that it is so demanding, the pc version is especially bad

Welcome to 2008!

GTA IV always ran okay on the PC with good hardware, and with the release of the second patch it's pretty much perfect. Yeah, you notice a glitch or two if you play for 8 hours straight, but it's pretty much like any other game now... and it looks fantastic in 1080 at 42 inches.

Aiming for 400 x 9, effectively a 3.6 Quad Core : ) That way, I can run my ram at 1:1 @ 800mhz too :lol:

You should be able to hit that. The SLACR processors usually can hit it no problem.

I'm running my 800mhz ram at 10:9 (444 fsb) :lol:

Stop! Server Time!

IMG_2063.jpg

specs:
p4 3.0
4gig DDR2 Ram
2x 640gig WD "AV" Drives
Server 2003 R2

purrrrrs away nicely providing:

Firewall
DCHP
DNS
Active Directory (for each computer to access individual "drives" for backing up data)
Media Server for HTPC

Last edited:
I hope you're not leaving that on a carpeted floor.

damn what kind of a network are your running that a server needs four gig of ram and more fans than Madonna?

Off course, but his server doesn't really look like an industrial one in a rack... :)
But I guess for streaming multiple HD streams, for example, that amount of ram comes in handy.

Well, I've got my 1TB hard drive held aside at Best Buy and my sister is going to pick it up tomorrow and use her employee discount, I love having a sister who works at Best Buy!!!

Stop! Server Time!

specs:
p4 3.0
4gig DDR2 Ram
2x 640gig WD "AV" Drives
Server 2003 R2

pc spec sounds more like a regular 2 year old desktop machine to me. :rolleyes:

anyway, you shouldn't leave your pc lying around on carpets.

Last edited:
anyway, you shouldn't leave your pc lying around on carpets.

Why? Is it bad for the PC or does it just create too much dust in the room?

I wanna move mine up off the ground, but I have nothing to put it on. :(

^ Dust etc collects in carpets, putting the pc there means it will suck in more dust than if it was positioned higher.

Are there places that sell wood in Vancouver? If so (and I suspect there are) go buy some wood a make a little case stand. Heck, give me the dimensions of your case and I'll sketch one up.

Are there places that sell wood in Vancouver? If so (and I suspect there are) go buy some wood a make a little case stand. Heck, give me the dimensions of your case and I'll sketch one up.

Yeah, we've got wood places here - forestry is our number one industry, afterall. :p

Would a mere few inches off the ground be helpful at all? I'd still like to find a table of some sort... it's a home theatre case so I'd like to be able to store some DVDs and stuff under it.

Yeah, we've got wood places here - forestry is our number one industry, afterall. :p

Would a mere few inches off the ground be helpful at all? I'd still like to find a table of some sort... it's a home theatre case so I'd like to be able to store some DVDs and stuff under it.

Any distance you can get between the carpet and the case intakes will help. Which case do you have?

^ I have the Silverstone LC17.

I have been so annoyed by computer dust for ages, and I can't believe I had no clue I was getting so much because my case was on the floor until you mentioned it in the "where the hell is Viper?" thread.

You bought a PC, not a vacuum clearner for your carpets :rolleyes:

What about your table?

I know it collects a lot more dust, but is it actually bad for the computer?

I cannot put it on a table because I don't have one. I have a big LCD TV sitting on top of my fireplace, keyboard sits on the TV's base and the case is beside it on the ground.

it's not bad for the computer, as long as you have good airflow for the motherboard and cpu to breathe.