The "New Toys" Thread

I cannot comprehend how anyone ever can work with these "split" style keyboards...

it's RONG

I have that keyboard and it's great :)

I think my touch typing has gotten better after getting this keyboard. The gap forces you to use proper form, because it's uncomfortable to press buttons with the wrong hand/finger.

Last edited:
You all need to get the logitech illuminated keyboard.
It's the best keyboard i've ever laid my hands on.

SSDs are worth every bit of the price tag they wear.

I don't think its possible for me to revert back to traditional hard drives anymore.

I cannot comprehend how anyone ever can work with these "split" style keyboards...

it's RONG

After using it all of last night, suddenly typing on a normal keyboard feels extremely uncomfortable.

The padding on the 4000 is unbelievably comfortable, easily one of the best I've ever used.

The only sour points I have so far are

1) The backward and forward keys are located at a pretty weird position. They should be grouped with the upper media keys.
2) The keyboard's freakin massive.
3) The Microsoft included "forward-tilt" stand feels really weird and makes typing a bitch atm since I can't touch-type just yet with the new layout, but I'm getting used to it and it does seem to work well.
4) The software is pretty damn horrible, especially the favorite keys assignment section which doesn't automatically generate a programs list to choose from (e.g. Logitech's setpoint does).

Still, well worth the money I paid for it, especially since I'm doing lots of computing work at the moment.

Last edited:
HTC Touch Pro?

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2009/05/19/htc-touch-pro-02.jpg

I can atest for his qwerty-less brother, it's great, especially if you install Manila 2 on it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493531

Great Phone, or so I have heard. HTC will really have to start messing up in order for me to move away from their phones. Best phones I have ever owned...I currently own the HTC 8925 (AT&T Tilt) running WinMo6.1 w/ Manilla 2d on top of it and this thing is magnificent. Pair that with all of free applications available for Windows Mobile and I have no complaints...

The Touch Pro 2 is supposed to come out soon in America and that will surely be my next phone.

My problem with Blackberry's has always been the OS. Maybe it is just because I am so used to Windows but it seems like everything is so hard to do and customizing its interface is even more option-less.

SSDs are worth every bit of the price tag they wear.

I don't think its possible for me to revert back to traditional hard drives anymore.

please elaborate. I think SSDs are highly expensive for being only marginally quicker...

What's the other advantage? Complete silence? Because who cares about that anyway?

Great Phone, or so I have heard. HTC will really have to start messing up in order for me to move away from their phones. Best phones I have ever owned...I currently own the HTC 8925 (AT&T Tilt) running WinMo6.1 w/ Manilla 2d on top of it and this thing is magnificent. Pair that with all of free applications available for Windows Mobile and I have no complaints...

The Touch Pro 2 is supposed to come out soon in America and that will surely be my next phone.

My problem with Blackberry's has always been the OS. Maybe it is just because I am so used to Windows but it seems like everything is so hard to do and customizing its interface is even more option-less.

I have a AT&T Fuze (which is slightly different from the HTC touch pro in that it doesn't have a forward facing cam, which I don't require anyway) and it's a fantastic piece of kit, main caveat is the lack of a headphone jack, you can ebay a slim one because the pack in one is also the adaptor for the TV out and is quite ginormous (you'll feel like quite a dork if you use it on the train etc)
The keyboard on it is fantastic as well (I prefer the AT&T fuze layout to the touch pro's, symbols instead of numbers at the topdoesn't matter much because you generally use the on screen keyboard for number entry anyway)

My problem is finding something that fits my needs as well as my current beloved Samsung i608 (blakcjack).

I love the Blackjack's slim form factor, great keypad and wifi. What I would want is a better web browser, possibly a touchscreen, microSD expansion and Windows Mobile to make syncing data and appointments easier.

I had this in mind:

i780.jpg

But, being the curious person I am, I wouldn't mind trying something else.

Install opera on that sucker and see how it does, i've been hearing some good things about iris (webkit based) but haven't tried it yet. PPC PIM backup is my backup weapon of choice when changing roms so when you upgrade it should let you take your data without stuffing around with activesync :)

Let me know if you've got any questions about the htc touch pro and i'll try my best to answer it

Whats the keyboard on the touch pro like?

Also, I've heard some pretty horrible reliability issues with HTCs....

please elaborate. I think SSDs are highly expensive for being only marginally quicker...

What's the other advantage? Complete silence? Because who cares about that anyway?

No moving parts (so no damaging disk platters with sudden movements or drops), far less heat generation, less power usage.

I don't have the pro, so can't tell you about the keyboard, but so far mine's been 100% reliable.

Whats the keyboard on the touch pro like?

Also, I've heard some pretty horrible reliability issues with HTCs....

Keyboards fantastic, had no reliability issues with mine. HTC devices at work are treated like crap by some people and seem to still work

I remember when I was buying the Samsung Blakjack one of the other options was the HTC Touch, but it was laggy as hell and was rubbish to type on.

PPC PIM backup is my backup weapon of choice when changing roms so when you upgrade it should let you take your data without stuffing around with activesync :)

Never used that one, but by the looks of things Sprite Backup is much better. Pretty much creates a whole image of your device, so all you need to do after you update your ROM or do a hard reset is to run the exectuable backup file.

It's not free, but hey, that never stopped anyone... right?

THE NEW TV IS SET UP :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Won in the TV-A-Day Sweepstakes through Newegg, 52-inch Samsung LCD TV. Going to use it for my computer once I buy a DVI-HDMI dongle and currently using it for 360. Can't find my Forza 2 disk, unfortunately.

Pics will be up in a minute.

Good riddance, finally bought a tripod! Manfrotto 190XPROB legs + 488RC2 ball head:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/05/21/DSC_0891.jpg

I went to the store planning to buy the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 plus a cheapo tripod to hold me over until the next time I had money for photo equipment. Oh well, hopefully at least I won't have to buy another tripod ever again. I figured there's lots of stuff (e.g. night shots) I've yet to try with the kit lens, so I should get a tripod and work at those a bit before I move to a new lens.

Last edited:
Been going through a buying frenzy period for a while now.

Latest addition of goodies -

MicroATX Case - Lan Box (Which will be transported back to SA :D )

2 x 7200.12 Seagate HDD 1Tb

3 x OCZ Vertex SSD 30Gb

21052009219.jpg

Last edited:
^jesus, do you have a little tree that grows money or what? Can I buy some seeds please?