The "New Toys" Thread

Neat, the guy I bought it from was saying it was a 2GB model but it turns out it's a 4GB one so double the disk space for the same price :-D

I wanted to try the Moblin distribution from Intel but those bastards limited it to Atom processors (more specifically to processors which supports PAE, which my little Celeron doesn't).

So I just installed the Ubuntu Netbook Remix thingy, I don't really like the last versions of Ubuntu but I reckon this one is okay, the integration with the little netbook is very good and the user interface is well adapted for a small screen :) I was planning to put some BSD on it but I think that Ubuntu as a good chance of staying on my disk space :-D (And even more since Canonical, the guys who maintain and distribute Ubuntu just announced they are going to support Android applications on Ubuntu, it might be quite interesting :))

I run a lightened version of Win XP at the moment on my eeepc 900, and with 2GB of ram its certainly not too bad even though it only has a 900mhz Celeron M.

I am considering putting linux onto the thing again at some point in the future though.

Neat, the guy I bought it from was saying it was a 2GB model but it turns out it's a 4GB one so double the disk space for the same price :-D

I wanted to try the Moblin distribution from Intel but those bastards limited it to Atom processors (more specifically to processors which supports PAE, which my little Celeron doesn't).

So I just installed the Ubuntu Netbook Remix thingy, I don't really like the last versions of Ubuntu but I reckon this one is okay, the integration with the little netbook is very good and the user interface is well adapted for a small screen :) I was planning to put some BSD on it but I think that Ubuntu as a good chance of staying on my disk space :-D (And even more since Canonical, the guys who maintain and distribute Ubuntu just announced they are going to support Android applications on Ubuntu, it might be quite interesting :))
Try easy peasy for netbooks, its good too.

2h5oa3m.jpg

I love it already, although it is weird, as the zoom rotates the opposite way to Nikon lenses. But anyway - the 18-55 is already back in its box. :p

Especially @ f/8, it's just about flawless. The focus could be a bit faster, compared to the 70-200 f/2.8 by Sigma it's a bit sluggish, but you won't be using it for quick action sports anyway. I've had it for more than a year now and I can't fault it.

huh, this must be netbook buying week. I got myself an eee 900ha for $279.99 on newegg, and I added a 2gb stick of kingston ram. It's surprisingly fast, too. One question, though. The two finger scroll works - barely. Is there any way to make it more sensitive? It only seems to do this with firefox, itunes scrolls fine.

DSCF0517.jpg

huh, this must be netbook buying week. I got myself an eee 900ha for $279.99 on newegg, and I added a 2gb stick of kingston ram. It's surprisingly fast, too. One question, though. The two finger scroll works - barely. Is there any way to make it more sensitive? It only seems to do this with firefox, itunes scrolls fine.

DSCF0517.jpg

Nah, the touchpad isn't very sensitive on the 900s (I have an eeepc 900)

Try easy peasy for netbooks, its good too.

Easy to set up dual boot with win XP?

The two finger scroll works - barely. Is there any way to make it more sensitive? It only seems to do this with firefox, itunes scrolls fine.

Out of the box, my Eee 1000H didn't scroll too well either. I had to install the drivers separately for XP. Go to the Asus support site and download your full touchpad drivers. Works fine under Windows 7 though by default.

I tried Easy Peasy a few weeks ago... it's alright, but all these tabbed Linux distros piss me off. I guess I'm not enough of a computing noob, but the way everything is dumbed down really annoys me. If you have the means to run XP or 7 decently then I wouldn't bother dual booting tabbed Linux, there's not much use if you can run and know how to use Windows.

Last edited:
I tried Easy Peasy a few weeks ago... it's alright, but all these tabbed Linux distros piss me off. I guess I'm not enough of a computing noob, but the way everything is dumbed down really annoys me.

Usually I'm not a big fan too of these "noob" distros but as I see it a netbook should be fast and easy to use, you boot it, connect on the internet and click on big icons in a matter of seconds.

That said, I'm installing debian right now :-D

I was not able to try easy peasy, the provide you with a .iso file that is nearly impossible to put on an USB key (I tried with unetbootin with no results...) and since I don't have a USB cd drive...

Thing is, using Linux didn't seem any faster to me. I think it is helpful if you are new to computers, but not necessarily because you're on a slower/smaller machine.

Granted, I have a 10-inch netbook with Atom. I don't know what the earlier and smaller netbooks are like.

Easy Peasy and Eeebuntu look quite good (especially considering they're not commercial products), but as I discovered all it basically is, is a launcher program. Sure, you get big, organized shortcuts to your programs, but once you open Firefox or any app it'll look like it does under any other OS.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting this Acer 5735 with an Intel T5800, 2 GB of RAM, 160GB hdd:
90982_acer-aspire-5735-582g16mn-core2-duo-t5800-2-gb-ram-160-gb-hdd.jpeg

It's about 325 Euros. Is it worth it? Are Acer notebooks good?

Thinking of getting this Acer 5735 with an Intel T5800, 2 GB of RAM, 160GB hdd:
90982_acer-aspire-5735-582g16mn-core2-duo-t5800-2-gb-ram-160-gb-hdd.jpeg

It's about 325 Euros. Is it worth it? Are Acer notebooks good?

Most of them work fine, but they ain't quiet, and minor stuff tends to break. You do get what you pay for, though.

Nah, the touchpad isn't very sensitive on the 900s (I have an eeepc 900)

Easy to set up dual boot with win XP?
I've the same one and I loaded EasyPeasy for netbooks onto it...much nicer setup with that IMO.