The "New Toys" Thread

Thinking of getting this Acer 5735 with an Intel T5800, 2 GB of RAM, 160GB hdd:
90982_acer-aspire-5735-582g16mn-core2-duo-t5800-2-gb-ram-160-gb-hdd.jpeg

It's about 325 Euros. Is it worth it? Are Acer notebooks good?

how can that only be costing 325 ? when my netbook (with less ram and smaller screen) cost me 400??

Acer is cheap and relatively OK quality. Not super duper, but not expensive either

Nice. I have the same one.

how can that only be costing 325 ? when my netbook (with less ram and smaller screen) cost me 400??

Acer is cheap and relatively OK quality. Not super duper, but not expensive either

It's that price because it's on sale from 450 euros to 325. That's why I'm considering it

Thinking of getting this Acer 5735 with an Intel T5800, 2 GB of RAM, 160GB hdd:
90982_acer-aspire-5735-582g16mn-core2-duo-t5800-2-gb-ram-160-gb-hdd.jpeg

It's about 325 Euros. Is it worth it? Are Acer notebooks good?

Average... not as good as Asus, but a shit loads better than IBM/Dell/HP etc..

btw.. just bought this

ASUS_MB-P5QL-EM.jpg

Asus G43 mobo, to replaced my dead DFI P965-S board.

Last edited:
I hate to be a decenter, but I'm never buying Acer again. It seems like their netbooks are very well reviewed, but I've had nothing but problems with my Acers, both laptop and desktop.

Posted in motorbike thread as well.
I bought a Cardo Scala-Rider Q2 Bluetooth headset today. On first impressions it is a good bit of kit. Nice and clear phone calls, could have a conversation without raising my voice at 80mph. FM radio works well. Only slight negative is that the line-in is just a direct connection through the speakers, so the volume control doesn't work when using it, and the volume is generally too quite to be any use above about 40mph. I din't buy it for this though, so not a great concern.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pe/peter3hg/2009/05/29/P5290077.JPG

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pe/peter3hg/2009/05/29/P5290078.JPG

Since my W810 was slowly dying and very badly scratched, I got one of those:
nokia_6210_navigator.jpg

I am liking it so far. GPS is fun. :)

Why would I do that?

I just put the speakers there for the best soundstage.

Nice, epic layout.

What's even better is that we have the same netgear switch

I hate to be a decenter, but I'm never buying Acer again. It seems like their netbooks are very well reviewed, but I've had nothing but problems with my Acers, both laptop and desktop.

From my personal experience...Acer is fine for single components and such but as soon as they put it all together to create a laptop, it all goes downhill. My mother and I bought a package deal on Aspire 5000 series Laptops like 4 or 5 years ago and they both crapped out. My power port broke twice and my HDD ate itself and her Mobo completely fried all within 1.5 years. Granted I pieced together both laptops and now have one working one but it is hardly ever used or who knows what else would have gone wrong by now.

Idk if Acer has stepped up their product level since I owned those laptops but I won't buy a laptop of theirs ever again. I must say my buddy just bought a laptop very similar to the one you are looking at and it has been good for the 6 months he has owned it so far. I do trust their separate components though as I have 2 22" Acer Monitors which have been flawless for me.

Thanks a lot for the replys. I'm gonna look for something different considering it's my first notebook and I'm not in a hurry

Why would I do that?

I just put the speakers there for the best soundstage.

In that case, you're gonna get boundary reinforcement from the left speaker. Find the reflection point and try to put a big-ass pillow over it.

Yes, there is not good place for them behind or beside, so I just stick them there.

You were the guy who wrote "best soundstage", right? I'd rather stick to stereo then, instead of having the rear sound getting blasted at me from 30 cm at the front ;-)