The "New Toys" Thread

Here in middle-of-nowhere-and-covered-in-mountains land Verizon is the only carrier with coverage that lets you keep a call connected more then about 40 seconds. So couple that with the fact that 90% of people here have Verizon, you can basically call or message anyone in an unlimited amount with no extra charges thanks to their unlimited "in network" communications.

I've found that my Sprint service works anywhere Verizon does since they have a roaming agreement (no extra charges). The "in network" thing isn't really new. Chalk one up for Verizon marketing as this has always been called "mobile to mobile" with other carriers. The only new thing I think Verizon added was texting.

Exactly. They have by far the best service. I have yet to lose a call [on my end] with Verizon. They do have the worst phones, that is true. While their plans are very expensive, since everyone I know seems to have Verizon, using minutes or text messaging is never a concern.

Their phones aren't that bad, I just hate how Verizon has the same interface on nearly all of their phones. Not to mention they lock down hardware (like GPS) and make you buy their stupid Verizon Navigator program (or whatever it's called) in order to use the fully-functional, yet locked, GPS hardware.

Yep, the only times I've ever had call quality problems were wind noise or people with other carriers.

Oh, and Verizon offers discounts to the tune of 18% off to people who work for educational institutions (my father) or governments (myself), among tons of others, so rarely do you have to pay their full price if you do a bit of legwork and see if you have a discount available to you.

SERO.

And here's a better plan for only $10 more, doubles the minutes and gives you BlackBerry BIS and the equivalent of the VCast stuff.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2009/06/07/plans.PNG

I know it varies by location, but the few people I know that have Sprint here constantly have problems getting a signal, dropping calls, calls breaking up, etc.

I have T-Mobile and I have no issues in the city or where I travel so I don't care that much..If I were to switch carriers I would go with Sprint I really like the Palm Pre a lot looks like a solid phone and their pricing is second cheapest of the major carriers.

Here in middle-of-nowhere-and-covered-in-mountains land Verizon is the only carrier with coverage that lets you keep a call connected more then about 40 seconds. So couple that with the fact that 90% of people here have Verizon, you can basically call or message anyone in an unlimited amount with no extra charges thanks to their unlimited "in network" communications.

Weird...I had to switch from Verizon to AT&T because of Verizon's lack of coverage in my area and that's not including the 3G network. Verizon's 3G network is no where close to the coverage that AT&T offers in my area. But Verizon was gracious enough to let me out of my contract for free after they sent "engineers" out to test the network in my area and did indeed discover a lack of coverage, so I am gracious for that.

Tamron_70-300mm_F4-5.6.jpg

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6

I needed a tele for my Canon, and this was so cheap (140 euros) I couldn't resist.

Weird...I had to switch from Verizon to AT&T because of Verizon's lack of coverage in my area and that's not including the 3G network. Verizon's 3G network is no where close to the coverage that AT&T offers in my area. But Verizon was gracious enough to let me out of my contract for free after they sent "engineers" out to test the network in my area and did indeed discover a lack of coverage, so I am gracious for that.

Strange how it works. We have fantastic coverage here, especially considering we're in the middle of a bunch of mountains. I've even been in the back seat of our truck going down the highway with my phone hooked up to my laptop and browsing the internet and watching videos using the phone as my modem. :lol:

My mom, brother, and I have T-Mobile. I love it, service is great, the price is amazing, and their customer service has been perfect.

My dad as Sprint, and it sucks. Terrible coverage. He can't call from the upper level of our house or our basement.

T-mobile pricing amazing? Well, I guess thats another BMW like thing, like selling the M3 for less in the USA than the 335i where its built (in case you haven't guessed: over here)... Thx a lot for that, btw...
T-mobile is definatley the most pricey in Germany, although their service, at least for their business consumers is great...

Yes, our plan is about $30-$50 cheaper than any other comparable plan on any other carrier.

I'd probably switch to T-Mobile if they had some 3G coverage here.

I'd probably switch to T-Mobile if they had some 3G coverage here.

Check out Tmonews.com they have a lot of information on their continuing 3G roll out. If I were to go to AT&t right now with my current T-Mobile plan I'd be easily over $100 so I'm quite happy paying $65 a month.

I like T-Mobile because they're the only major GSM carrier in the US that lets you use your own phone on their prepaid plan.

From what I hear (and experience) no one complains about the quality of the cellphone service or their plans with AT&T out here, but all of the people I know who have other carriers left AT&T because they fucked up on billing.

Just bought this to help keep the room with all my electronics cool:
https://pic.armedcats.net/w/wh/whappeh/2009/06/09/ac.jpg

So far its doing a bang up job of air conditioning the back of my desk. I may need to move some stuff around my room.

All AC units need some type of exhaust, right?

I want to get one, I need to get one... but if I have to leave my balcony door slightly ajar for the exhaust, most of the cool air is gonna escape.

All AC units need some type of exhaust, right?

I want to get one, I need to get one... but if I have to leave my balcony door slightly ajar for the exhaust, most of the cool air is gonna escape.

Yeah, they all need to exhaust somewhere. The good news is, you can find a kit for almost any application. Mine has a piece of vinyl that extends out to cover the gap. Longer pieces can easily be bought from the manufacturer.