The "New Toys" Thread

Listening to the radio might be one.

Fear not, I'm sure it's in the list of awesome upgrades for the next iPhone and iPod Touch. :lol:

Freaking Apple, they just don't quit. I was thinking of maybe picking up a new 13" MBP since I don't have anything other than my small netbook and the HTPC which is only hooked up to a big TV.

But, then, I read about the integrated batteries which are apparently used on every single one of their laptops now. And don't give me the shit about it being a unibody, I'm sure they could have found a way to fit a removable battery cover somewhere in there.

Screw you Steve Jobs, you greedy bastard. It doesn't even matter if your products look good or perform well, it doesn't even matter to me if you're the only tech company left in the world - when you see your customers as nothing but $$$ and make little to no effort to hide this fact then I don't want anything to do with you.

Well, to be fair, having a non-removable battery does allow them to use a larger one.

Well, to be fair, having a non-removable battery does allow them to use a larger one.

Really? How much of a larger battery did they manage to put in them?

Also, maybe I'm just stupid, but how does adding a removable door in front of wherever the battery sits force you to use a smaller battery? The battery's in there, all they had to do was cut a rectangle in the bottom of the case and put some screws on it. No?

Probably just marginally larger, as you don't need any mechanism to release the battery or any type of detachable connector.

Like I said, marginal.

Also, in order to have a battery be user removable, it has to have, wait for it, minimum health and safety requirements met in order to help ensure safe handling by the general idiot. These take up space, add weight, and ruin the battery's handling.

That's about it for now...My biggest gripe is this - I paid for 8gb of storage power, I want to use it in the way that I want, not the way that Apple wants me to!

I'm sorry, but if you are planning to use an mp3 player seriously how the f*ck did you ever expect 8GB to be enough? I maxed my 16GB iPhone no problem but I'm quite comfortable with 32GB at the moment.

If you have so many gripes with it you clearly didn't do enough research before you bought it. And no, I'm not defending Apple here, it's simply about common sense and not blaming someone else when it's not their fault.

Last edited:
Simple - I couldn't afford the 16 or the 32GB at the moment. But I would've liked to increase the memory at some point. Which brings me to something else.
The 8/16/32GB iPods are exactly the same in terms of technology. The only difference is the memory size. Well, the 32GB was a whopping $100 more expensive than the 8GB. So 24GB of space costs $100? Wow, that must be some super special, ultra-fast Apple memory...

I can live with just 8gb of memory. But it still annoys me that something as simple and easy as a card slot was not implemented in the iPod Touch/iPhone.

Oh, another thing that annoys me - how come there is no way to see system information? Things like Battery Remaining time and free space? Yes, I can download applications that show me the information, but why wasn't it there in the first place? They put stupid things like a stock market app, but couldn't put device information?

Oh, another thing that annoys me - how come there is no way to see system information? Things like Battery Remaining time and free space? Yes, I can download applications that show me the information, but why wasn't it there in the first place? They put stupid things like a stock market app, but couldn't put device information?

You can see how much free space you have if you go to settings.

You can see how much free space you have if you go to settings.

Okay, point. :D

I'm done bitching about the iPod. In the end - I like it. I don't regret buying it. I would like it to be better, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

On a similar topic though, I just realized that I've taken 7GB and only have 793 songs...Damn those long prog-rock guitar solos! Most of my songs are >6min :D

Last edited:
Also funny that macs are supposed to be so wonderful for photo/graphic work, but don't have a CF reader.

Don't get me started on the absence of Blu-Ray from the king of media (or how much DVD/Blu-Ray production happens on Macs)

Listening to the radio might be one.

Listening to the radio? Just with what apps I have on my phone I can listen to:

- My own local content (iPod)
- My own collection at home streamed over the internet (Simplify Media)
- Sirius/XM
- Select radio stations (IHeartRadio = Clearchannel, AOL Radio includes CBS affiliates)
- Shoutcast
- Any internet radio pretty much (Pocket Tunes, Radio Shift, Tuner)

I think I got you beat, I can listen to radio feeds from around the world, and oh, no static.

I find myself listening to internet radio feeds in my car of stations I could pick up on AM/FM -- with no static and flawless reception and usually better sonic quality.

Do you listen to radio stations that aren't on the internet?

Well, I'm sorry, but I'm a PC guy. I like to modify and upgrade things. If Apple's idea to not put a card slot was so great, how come digital camera manufacturers don't follow the same path? Or other phone manufacturers for that matter?

To be fair they didn't want to support 18 different card types at the time. Now that SDHC pretty much has become the standard, they've adopted it.

If you MUST have a card reader, you can get an express card SD reader.

http://www.amazon.com/EXPRESSCARD-34-5-1-Card-Reader/dp/B000M5FATY

Last edited:

- Sirius/XM
- Select radio stations (IHeartRadio = Clearchannel, AOL Radio includes CBS affiliates)
- Shoutcast

I find myself listening to internet radio feeds in my car of stations I could pick up on AM/FM -- with no static and flawless reception and usually better sonic quality.

Well, no wonder iPhone customers use many times over the amount of data that other smartphone users use. :lol: Data ain't cheap everywhere nor offered in unlimited plans, so I'm sure there's many people who would like to have FM tuners on their iPods.

To be fair they didn't want to support 18 different card types at the time. Now that SDHC pretty much has become the standard, they've adopted it.

18 different card types? Give me a break, it's been years that's CF and SD are the only two real players in the field, and in most applications in fact SD has totally replaced CF as well for years now.

Plus, it seems like you're getting a bit confused. We had a discussion about SD card slots on Apple computers, and we had a separate discussion about how High_Voltage wishes his new iPod Touch had a card slot so he could add more memory when he had more cash.

Apple still doesn't have card slots on their players, so what's your argument? And everyone knows you can buy a separate card reader, that's beside the point. You can also buy an external webcam, why has Apple been integrating them into all their computers now for years?

- Sirius/XM
- Shoutcast

Well, no wonder iPhone customers use many times over the amount of data that other smartphone users use. :lol: Data ain't cheap everywhere nor offered in unlimited plans, so I'm sure there's many people who would like to have FM tuners on their iPods.

18 different card types? Give me a break, it's been years that CF and SD are the only two real players in the field, and in most applications in fact SD has totally replaced CF as well for years now.

Plus, it seems like you're getting a bit confused. We had a discussion about SD card slots on Apple computers, and we had a separate discussion about how _HighVoltage_ wishes his new iPod Touch had a card slot so he could add more memory when he had more cash.

Apple still doesn't have card slots on their players, so your argument about "18 different card types" is moot here. And everyone knows you can buy a separate card reader, that's beside the point. You can also buy an external webcam, why has Apple been integrating them into all their computers now for a few years?

holy this thread has suddenly taken a turn to become another apple discussion thread O_O

There are a lot of people out there that wish they could afford Apple products, and bitching is their way of letting off steam.

Oh snap, you speak the truth mister.

I'm yearning for an iPhone but I just can't swing the $199, sucks being a poor but what can I do... :cry:

My mp3 player has 4GB+2GB and I haven't filled it up yet. Some of us have more particular tastes than others. For instance, I like 2 Metallica songs, so I'll have those 2 songs, not the whole albums or the entire discography. I keep deleting songs from my collection too when I get bored with them.

My mp3 player has 4GB+2GB and I haven't filled it up yet. Some of us have more particular tastes than others. For instance, I like 2 Metallica songs, so I'll have those 2 songs, not the whole albums or the entire discography. I keep deleting songs from my collection too when I get bored with them.

I'm the exact same way. I'd rather have 100 songs I really like than thousands of songs that are just ok.