The "New Toys" Thread

I saw the Acer neotouch as well at the store. 1GHz snapdragon, 512mb ROM/256mb RAM, etc. And all for only $500AUDish.

Tempting for the money, but I hear its very buggy to use. The Acer liquid is also going on sale soon.

I'm not saying this just because I have the HD2 now, but the neoTouch looks like crap.

Have you seen Acer's 'customization' of Windows Mobile? It's much worse even than what Windows Mobile offers you out of the box. The screen is also resistive which I have no problems with in principle, but I've read it's really old school and flexible (mushy when you tap on it). How did the screen feel to you?

I read Pocketnow's review on the thing, and along with all the issues they had with it I got the impression the whole point of the neoTouch is to give you a really cheap Snapdragon device, meaning they've cut corners and costs in many aspects.

I saw the Acer neotouch as well at the store. 1GHz snapdragon, 512mb ROM/256mb RAM, etc. And all for only $500AUDish.

Tempting for the money, but I hear its very buggy to use. The Acer liquid is also going on sale soon.

Just avoid anything with Windows Mobile unless you really like the thought of spending hours of tweaking it to make it 'your own'/usable.

Well, the Acer liquid also just came into stock today. Android handset for $500ish.

I might hold out and get a Motoroal droid though. I think imported droids should be available in HK very soon.

The iPhone still lingers in my mind, especially since I already have a MB pro :D

Last edited:
Just avoid anything with Windows Mobile unless you really like the thought of spending hours of tweaking it to make it 'your own'/usable.

True, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for anyone who is even a bit of a geek.

The iPhone still lingers in my mind...

:cry:

Last edited:
I'm surprised the HD2 worked out cheaper than the iPhones. Over here in HK they're the same price, and spec for spec HD2 > iPhone.

With regards to WM, I think its quiet ok, and have gotten used to it. Being able to tweak everything is kind of cool.

sony_playstation_3_slim_250gb_ratchet_clank_a_crack_in_time_bundle.jpg

:D

Add one more to the ranks of people waiting for March 30 2010 :p

Well, yes, but you lose your warranty if you install a tricked out firmware, which means it goes the same as for the iPhone. You can also tweak that thing untill your face goes purple.

http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?session=&showtopic=1165874&view=findpost&p=14730897

You're wrong, you don't need to install a 'tricked out' firmware to get any kind of customization on Windows Mobile - that's why there's no jailbreaking or rooting on a WM device.

The reason people install custom ROMs is to do away with all the crappy useless software and get overall better performance. It's exactly like installing a fresh copy of Windows instead of the crap-filled 'tricked out' version you get from Dell or HP or someone like that.

And regarding your initial thought, after using the HD2 a bit more I can say you are wrong there as well. I'll probably end up 'tricking out' my HD2 but most people will not need to do anything to it short of adding their contacts and a few apps.

In fact, if you get over the little Windows icon in the upper left corner this interface looks more modern and more useful than anything I've seen on iPhone or Android. Windows CE is a powerful base, and with a nice shell on top Windows Mobile is at least as competitive as, well, the competition.

Now stop trying to lure people away merely because you are an Apple fanboy. I assure you the world won't end if different people show interest in different devices from different manufacturers.

Edit: What's with your link? I don't read whatever that is and the screenshots do nothing in furthering your argument.

Last edited:
Just a few apps? I've got 71 apps on my phone. :p And no, I'm no fanboy I just try to explain to people how I personally (and quite a lot of other people) think that Windows Mobile is years behind these days.

Screenshot is to show how you can mod the GUI to your liking.

Last edited:
You can keep your iPhones and Windows Mobiles, I got myself a proper Symbian phone :p Received a shiny Nokia E72 in the mail today and been playing with it pretty much for the whole evening. It's lovely :firefox:

nokia-e72.jpg

A friend bought the predecessor (E71) last weekend. He couldn't get the gps to lock and his battery was flat after one day of toying with it. But a cool piece of gear indeed. Very professional look and feature set.

bah.....don't start me on Symbian :p

...and his battery was flat after one day of toying with it. ....

well i think its the "new gadged feel" that empties the battery in 8hours (in the first week).
Now (after 6 months) my nokia 5800 has a batterylife of 4 days :p before it was empty in 12hours :blink:

A friend bought the predecessor (E71) last weekend. He couldn't get the gps to lock and his battery was flat after one day of toying with it. But a cool piece of gear indeed. Very professional look and feature set.

My E71 lasts days and days. I <3 it.

I just learned that my E72 has a lifetime subscription to the Nokia/Ovi Maps navigation service, for both walking and driving :blink: That shit costs 60 euros per year if bought separately...

I'm loving my E72 even more <3