The "New Toys" Thread

I bought a Noctua CPU cooler, considering the pricetag I expect it to be made by austrian bankers on their time off.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/12/21/i7_roundup-015.jpg

You bought an industrial airconditioning unit?

I bought a Noctua CPU cooler, considering the pricetag I expect it to be made by austrian bankers on their time off.

do these fans REALLY look as aweful as they do on the picture, or is there some kind of colour-distortion going on. they can't have seriously thought that this brown+flesh coloured theme would do sales any good? :? what's wrong with plain black?

maybe though... the colour helps airflow or something?
the air could be so disgusted by the colours, it just moves faster out of it's own accord/fright! in that case, hats off to everybody at noctua :p

do these fans REALLY look as aweful as they do on the picture, or is there some kind of colour-distortion going on. they can't have seriously thought that this brown+flesh coloured theme would do sales any good? :? what's wrong with plain black?

maybe though... the colour helps airflow or something?
the air could be so disgusted by the colours, it just moves faster out of it's own accord/fright! in that case, hats off to everybody at noctua :p

The colour means it's a Noctua, they're the only ones who know exactly what colour it is! Preventive measure against piracy! :lol:
It looks alot like chocolate cookies in reality. It wasnt cheap but I have to say the bundle and finish is top notch, everything is packaged in it's own little box.

The colour isnt supposed to help with airflow but the notches on the fan-blades are supposed to. Let's see if it fits, according to Antec it should not fit in my case :D

Last edited:

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/12/21/i7_roundup-015.jpg

Ohh I have the exact same one, impressively large. Love it too, extremely quiet and cools my core i7 pretty well.

Let's see if it fits, according to Antec it should not fit in my case :D

the best of luck to you!

I'm thinking about getting myself an antec P183 and a mugen2 cooler... bit of reading suggested it SHOULD fit, but now you made me worry :(

can't wait to see everyone's christmas presents in here :lol:

I wasnt entirely honest when I said I hoped it fit, I've got a fairly popular chassis (Antec P182) and I did actually check with others before and it does fit ;) Antec however state on their website that only coolers lower than 154 mm fits, and the U12 is 158 mm but it made it in with 4-5 mm to spare.

Fitting it took a while but it wasnt at all hard, very thorough instructions and they even included a screwdriver!
And a real metal Noctua badge! I wonder if I should stick it on or throw it in the "bag-o-stickers".

kylare.jpg

Last edited:
After going through my FOURTH Mighty Mouse, Apple agreed to send me a new Magic Mouse. Loving the multi-touch so far but missing the middle click a lot. I'll live !

You can try using BetterTouchTool, you can add custom gestures with it (I use 3 finger click as middle click), make this damn thing slightly more usable. http://blog.boastr.net/

I wasnt entirely honest when I said I hoped it fit, I've got a fairly popular chassis (Antec P182) and I did actually check with others before and it does fit ;) Antec however state on their website that only coolers lower than 154 mm fits, and the U12 is 158 mm but it made it in with 4-5 mm to spare.

Fitting it took a while but it wasnt at all hard, very thorough instructions and they even included a screwdriver!
And a real metal Noctua badge! I wonder if I should stick it on or throw it in the "bag-o-stickers".

That looks pretty close, I guess you won't be able to use a side case fan?

Nope but the side panel doesnt support that anyway.

nice! I'm dying for an SSD, but they are simply too expensive still.

I just put one in my 2 year old Thinkpad X60, OMG!

If you have a machine that doesn't need the biggest hard disk in the world, they're awesome.

Going from a 5400 rpm laptop drive to an SSD is like throwing away the bicycle and ride a Saturn V to work instead

If you don't mind not having much room (or you can add a 2nd drive to your laptop) this is a pretty good drive for the money http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139081 newegg (and everyone else) is price gouging here, it was like $85 at one point.

hmm so my 160gb minimum is still too much :(

aaargh i wish i had dedicated gaming rig and some 10-13" laptop for school :(

now i only have the sorta gaminglaptop.

hmm so my 160gb minimum is still too much :(

aaargh i wish i had dedicated gaming rig and some 10-13" laptop for school :(

now i only have the sorta gaminglaptop.

well...if your laptop has a removable optical drive, you may want to look into it see if you can put a 2nd hdd there instead. That's what I did to mine, ssd for the os and apps, then the old 320gb hdd in the optical drive slot for storage.