The "New Toys" Thread

Viper, will you install it in your current system as well?
I heard that with the BIOS they ship the cards with, the fan control kicks to higher rpms on lower temps. With 2 Monitors connected, this could mean-> Clearly audible when in idle in 2 Monitor Setups. (Before some reported idle temps of over 80?C with 2 Monitors)
Would be good to know, but I guess you are out of town soon, as you said, so no biggie. I can't see it being availible at a normal price for a while in Germany anyway...

I probably won't bother. I plan on buying the parts shortly after I get back home.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/04/28/nokia-5230.jpg

Nokia 5230, went away from SE because of the disappointing prices and models, nothing good of late. Pretty good price for a smartphone-ish phone. Inbuilt free GPS, nice responsive touchscreen, came with a free 2GB micro sd card and i'm comfortable with it already :D

Price was a steal for the features, and this is just an entry level touchscreen.

Ordered that this morning. I will probably pick it up early next week.

car_dock.jpg

Will the phone come out of Navigation mode while in that dock? I've been considering getting one to use both for gps and a dual-orientation dock at work.

I finally got me an iPod. The Classic one, with 160 GB. And to add some style, I also bought a Lamborghini leather bag for it :D

4561129610_1ffcd1500b_o.jpg

4561130380_a679f5d1df_o.jpg

4560503679_3a399dd881_o.jpg

Will the phone come out of Navigation mode while in that dock? I've been considering getting one to use both for gps and a dual-orientation dock at work.

Yes. Navigation is just one of the option available when you dock your phone. To see what you get when you dock it, just select "Car Home" in the launcher.

You notice magnets and not the Harry Belafonte CD?

Got a new phone. Kind of a filler and I was curious what Sony Ericsson is up to now:

sony_ericsson_elm_01.jpg

(not my pic, obviously)

Kids, those things below the screen are called a 'keypad'. Ask your parents.

I was looking at SEs, but the newest range disappointed me so badly. They're epically sleek phones, most of them, but the prices put me off.

The one I got was quiet neatly priced for a midrange 5mp-Wifi-GPS-candybar-dumbphone, but there isn't much on offer in this particular niche anyhow these days.

Does that close with magnets?

Yes

It sure does look like it. Magnets and hard drive, what a wonderful idea :-D

That reminds me of the old urban legend, that video or audio tapes would be deleted, if you moved them close to a loudspeaker. They never suffered. It needs a much stronger magnetic field to influence a shielded HD, than what two tiny magnets can do.

You notice magnets and not the Harry Belafonte CD?

"Belafonte at Carnegie Hall" and the follow-up "Belafonte returns to Carnegie Hall" are among the best live recordings ever made. They are from 1958/60 and even a modern day audiophile gets shiny eyes, when you mention them ;)

Last edited:
I have too little faith in my fellow man to bike with headphones/ear buds/in-helmet speakers. I need to be able to hear every idiot around me when I'm on my bike.

I'd be happy to have it on a path or trail, or even country roads, but anything with significant traffic and that's a bit dangerous.

On another subject, I figured that with the nice weather coming back, I might as well do some exercise:

//SNIP//

The helmet comes with two shitty sounding little speakers to plug your iPod... I don't know if listening to music while trying to not fall over is the best idea ever...

that bike is way too clean, you definitely need to use it more often :p
the frame of my bike is so beaten i don't even clean it anymore, because it'd look worse afterwards (with all the scratches and stuff, you know...).
plus, with a dirty bike, you know you've done well :p