The "New Toys" Thread

Pretty much, it's just the health that's gone down by another 1%. I've had my page file on another drive for the majority of the life of this PC, I did have it briefly on my SSD from time to time but not for too long (as far as I'm aware).

Buy a proper SSD the next time, tsk tsk. :p

Hibernation basically writes your ram contents to the file every time you use it.. so if you have 8GB of ram, it has to write most of that to the file. Try using sleep mode instead of hibernate.

It does, but that won't really matter. Over a projected life of five years you'd have to hibernate 5.5 times per day to get to 10000 overwrites for the cells that store the hiberfil.sys.
Five years is a long time for a performance-oriented user's OS drive, and 5.5 times per day also is a lot if your laptop is configured properly. Making it hibernate for every 5min break would obviously go over 5.5 times per day quickly.

leviathan: I don't think so. There are some intricate limitations to Windows' boot process that stop you from moving it - I doubt they've fixed them by now.

Last edited:
WDTV Live Plus HD (for mum+dad)

live_plus_04_large.png

DLink DWA-125 to go with it

DWA-125_cap_off.png

Excellent choice in player. There's nothing that thing can't play. The remote is ghastly, though. Logitech Harmony ftw!

It does, but that won't really matter. Over a projected life of five years you'd have to hibernate 5.5 times per day to get to 10000 overwrites for the cells that store the hiberfil.sys.
Five years is a long time for a performance-oriented user's OS drive, and 5.5 times per day also is a lot if your laptop is configured properly. Making it hibernate for every 5min break would obviously go over 5.5 times per day quickly.

Well, now SSDLife is saying that my SSD will die by Nov 15th. I'm probably going to contact OCZ this summer if it keeps degrading like it is.

Excellent choice in player. There's nothing that thing can't play. The remote is ghastly, though. Logitech Harmony ftw!

PCH > *

I only got this because it was reasonable and parent-friendly UI, the remote is perfect for them too.

PCH is a lot more expensive. At least here. And it doesn't perform any better than the WD TV.

Well, the results are finally in and I can now say that the estimated life left in my SSD is 1 month and 14 days. It's due to die on the 5th of April, as you can imagine I'm not best pleased with this news <_<.

After looking at the writes I noticed that the Firefox roaming profile was making quite a few (not excessive though) so I moved it onto another drive. I'm currently monitoring all activity and to my untrained eyes there is nothing unusual occurring.

This is why I didn't buy an SSD.

Panasonic 46" Full HD plasma. Bit of a step up from my old 68cm Teac CRT. Fuck yeah.

Bloody steal at this price, too. Infact, I bought another for my parents. :lol:

I don't know what you guys are doing to your SSDs... Mine has 2025GB hostwrites on it so far, after 11 months with it. All the tools say its 2,7 percent worn. Which correlates with the total data that can theoretically be written. 74GB * 10000. Intel G2-80GB here...
Is your alignment off or something?

I have dual screens, but the H213H is the good one..... the other is a 17" bulbous CRT :lol:

All this talk inspired me to go get the 32" plasma. It's on a coffee table next to my desk now. Too bad it's only 720p.