The "New Toys" Thread

where did you get that. I'd like to get one for my Dell XPS

I'm also interested, but can you also fit a 2.5" HDD in it?

Varies, but it's usually between 3 to 7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it.

I had no choice in the matter. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M but it also has the integrated video built into the Intel i7-640M CPU which it'll use when I want to conserve battery power. Dual video chips. :)
Same with the MBP. I'm not 100% on the first gen cores but AFAIK all Sandy Bridge CPUs have a GPU built right into them so really anything with a Sandy Bridge and a dedicated GPU will have dual video :)

So given the slight difference in specs and screen size looks like Sony charges about the same as Apple does. I believe with 8GB RAM and dual SSDs (if they were available) the MBP would be 3K or so.

where did you get that. I'd like to get one for my Dell XPS

http://newmodeus.com/

I'm also interested, but can you also fit a 2.5" HDD in it?

Yes, my hdd is housed there. There are several models, depending how high the bay is, if it's sata or pata and if you want to keep the orginal faceplate.

I had to get one that keeps the orginal faceplate because it is so odd shaped.

Last edited:
I don't see one for my particular notebook but I guess one of the generic ones should fit it. Also, that's the first site where I've ever seen such a variety of caddys, I hardly found any before.

I don't see one for my particular notebook but I guess one of the generic ones should fit it. Also, that's the first site where I've ever seen such a variety of caddys, I hardly found any before.

Mine wasn't there either. I had to pull the drive out and measure the height, and only then I noticed that it was pata. I always thought it was a sata drive, altough the model is from 2006.

Two pairs of headphones to try out, one Bluetooth and one USB.

Sennheiser MM100:
7125_6.jpg

Logitech ClearChat PC Wireless:
logitech_clearchat_wireless_headset+usb.jpg

A few years ago I went through the same process and just sort of settled on a pair of Bluetooth headphones from Motorola. Those stopped accepting a charge about a month ago, after which I went out and for who knows why bought a RF model from Sony to try. I say this because I should have known to stay away from RF - I don't know why the really expensive "home audio" wireless headphones are all RF because RF sucks ass... unless you're putting your head in a vice five inches from the base then there is going to be anywhere from a little to a lot of static noise.

So far I really like the Logitechs because they are comfortable and sound the best of any wireless headphone I've tried, and seeing as how headphones (that don't cost a ton) seem to have a failure rate as bad as routers then who better to buy it from than Logitech who replace anything no questions asked within the warranty period.

The only thing to like about the Seinnheisers is that they are Bluetooth. I know Bluetooth for headphones never really took off, but I don't know why; it works with a ton of different devices without needing an adapter, gives you playback buttons, and best of all there is never any static or interference - you either have a signal or you don't. It sucks that Bluetooth headphones are such a rarity because this pair has no other redeeming qualities.

I'll probably stick with the Logitechs... I like Bluetooth but it seems dead, and Logitech's warranty is definitely a good idea on headphones me thinks.

I have the same setup (albeit with a slighty bigger SSD and hard drive) and it's awesome :-d

Agreed. Epic speed and reasonable storage FTW.

Two pairs of headphones to try out, one Bluetooth and one USB.

Sennheiser MM100:
7125_6.jpg

Logitech ClearChat PC Wireless:
logitech_clearchat_wireless_headset+usb.jpg

A few years ago I went through the same process and just sort of settled on a pair of Bluetooth headphones from Motorola. Those stopped accepting a charge about a month ago, after which I went out and for who knows why bought a RF model from Sony to try. I say this because I should have known to stay away from RF - I don't know why the really expensive "home audio" wireless headphones are all RF because RF sucks ass... unless you're putting your head in a vice five inches from the base then there is going to be anywhere from a little to a lot of static noise.

So far I really like the Logitechs because they are comfortable and sound the best of any wireless headphone I've tried, and seeing as how headphones (that don't cost a ton) seem to have a failure rate as bad as routers then who better to buy it from than Logitech who replace anything no questions asked within the warranty period.

The only thing to like about the Seinnheisers is that they are Bluetooth. I know Bluetooth for headphones never really took off, but I don't know why; it works with a ton of different devices without needing an adapter, gives you playback buttons, and best of all there is never any static or interference - you either have a signal or you don't. It sucks that Bluetooth headphones are such a rarity because this pair has no other redeeming qualities.

I'll probably stick with the Logitechs... I like Bluetooth but it seems dead, and Logitech's warranty is definitely a good idea on headphones me thinks.

Decent bluetooth headphones are hard to come by, but once manufacturers start using BT4.0 for them, they'll have up to 10x the battery life and no need for compression thanks to 21Mb bandwidth over 802.11. Well, obviously the paired device will also have to have 4.0 or 3.0+HSP for lossless.

Sennheiser MM100:

I have a set of Motorola S9 bluetooth headphones, and don't like them that much. Didn't know about those Sennheiser, I guess I'll try to find a few reviews, might be a good replacement.

I use my phone as my primary mp3 player, and I hate wired headphones, so Bluetooth is pretty much my only option.

The Motorola HT820 is a great BT set, if large, and the Nokia BH-503 I use now is even better overall, with only battery life at a slight disadvantage.

87721.jpg

so i can properly use my neighbors inetwebz until my own connection finally gets done

how much.
i think here some court ruled that using neighburs wifi (without their knowledge) get you massive fines and maybe jail-time.
Also the neighburs get fined too not having a secured wifi. :D

Can they also fine someone for not locking their car or their back door? What about having a phone on the back porch?

That just seems silly.

Can they also fine someone for not locking their car or their back door? What about having a phone on the back porch?

That just seems silly.

Leaving your car keys in the car is illegal over here.

On the WiFi, there recently was a court ruling saying if you leave your WiFi unsecured you will be eligible for up to 100? in penalties if it gets used for illegal activity. The cybercrime nazis celebrated it as a victory against pirates and similar, while what it really did was shut off massive lawsuits - nobody is going to sue someone for up to 100?.
Dunno if there ever was a ruling on using an unsecured WiFi, I can't see why it should be illegal - the one discovering the unsecured WiFi has reasonable grounds to believe that the WiFi owner left it unsecured in order to allow everyone to use it.
Breaking into a (weakly) secured WiFi is illegal obviously.

Just picked up another 8GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 from my friend who was having RAM compatability issues with his AM2+ mobo.

$50.

My plan now is to wait for April, when i will have to RMA my UD7 due to the sandy bridge chipset issue. At that time, after I deconstruct, I will order the following to finish my build:
2nd Sapphire HD6970 2GB
Noctuna NH-D14
2nd Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm HDD.

Putting together the money now.

Just picked up another 8GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 from my friend who was having RAM compatability issues with his AM2+ mobo.

$50.

My plan now is to wait for April, when i will have to RMA my UD7 due to the sandy bridge chipset issue. At that time, after I deconstruct, I will order the following to finish my build:
2nd Sapphire HD6970 2GB
Noctuna NH-D14
2nd Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm HDD.

Putting together the money now.

Welcome to the 16GB club