The "New Toys" Thread

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122010
4x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

It doesn't have the greatest speeds in the world (about 18MB/sec write, dunno read) but hey, it was cheap and how often am I writing tons of shit to it? And it's waaaay plenty fast for streaming videos off it.

Yeah, I would need something like that just for storing my hdbits stuff...
But, USA vacation coming up, wallet still hurting from the racing bicycle I just bought, wallet still angry about the fine for mp3 downloading... I just can't right now :-(

Yeah, I've been throwing all of my Top Gear episodes and... "other" videos on it. Already put 1200 GB onto it and I still have more PC cleaning up to do. :)

my new toy: a standard MacBook, upgraded from 2 to 4 GB RAM before I even powered it on for the first time

However, it's only mine to play with for a couple of days until I leave it with my g/f's parents who asked me to buy it for them. The best thing this means is: NO MORE scandisk/defrag/virus scans/spybot updates & scans every time I visit them together with my g/f! :)

we bought one, and the same hdds as viper, neener :D

Hehe :) It's all good, tbh I don't trust the budget NAS enclosures, I'd rather just build a tower with bunch of HDDs using a miniitx board or something along those lines, running FreeNAS for software.

Hehe I'm at like 1.3 TBs of used space from just my media. (no music either)

I have well, well over that. I have 6TB of space in my PC and it was coming up on full before my NAS was built. ;)

ACC6(2).jpg

And they are just dirt cheap. The HDD prices has really just dropped to nothing! :)

This. I just built an 8TB 4 drive RAID for about $550 (and that will be attached to my existing NAS).

Ripping all my DVDs and Blu-Rays, or at least attempting to. I should easily break 10TB total media when done.

Last edited:
This. I just built an 8TB 4 drive RAID for about $550 (and that will be attached to my existing NAS).

The drives alone were $550? Wow, you got ripped off by about $200 over Newegg. :(

I think he means he now has a RAID box attached to his NAS as an external or something.

The drives alone were $550? Wow, you got ripped off by about $200 over Newegg. :(

Nope, that includes a 4 bay eSATA/USB/FW800 raid chassis (not a NAS) which will be attached to my existing 5 bay NAS for nine spinning disks of fury.

It's an older NAS and I'm not sure about support for 2tb drives in its native bays, but if I make that jump 18TB minus some for RAID 5 on the primary array.

Last edited:
I have only now noticed those Sparkel single slot cards. How do they perform?

I'll let you know, but reviews seem to like it. Asus has a single slot version of the card as well, but the Sparkle has a lifetime warranty.

I didn't know that either. I just saw a prototype of a Ssngle Slot Sparkel GTX 570 today and then I came in here and saw that GTS 450 ;)