The "New Toys" Thread

I'd go (and have gone) the netgear/cisco route. IMO having the ability to have custom FW is a BIG bonus, especially since I can run some more exotic services on these routers
When I was looking at 11n routers the ONLY Cisco's that didn't have shit reviews cost $500+. If you are looking for customized firmware and ability to run a lot of different services on your routers Netgear/Cisco is not the best way to go. The absolute best (assuming you want low power consumption otherwise just use a PC) hardware for that is embedded style systems, such as Alix.2d2 system (500mhz Geode + 256MB RAM takes CF card for the OS and has 2 miniPCI and 2 USB ports) there are limitations such as only two Ethernet ports (WAN and LAN) that are 10/100 but it will be a complete business grade solution that will take just about anything you throw at it.

Yeah, I just wanted a cheap wireless router, this had decent reviews. Luckily, everything is getting a day ahead of schedule, so I'll be able to set it all up and let it run for w few days to make sure it all works properly.

Yeah, I just wanted a cheap wireless router, this had decent reviews. Luckily, everything is getting a day ahead of schedule, so I'll be able to set it all up and let it run for w few days to make sure it all works properly.

BURN IN!!! Start some torrents :)

Spiffy new UPS. Much better than my ancient one as I can see current load, battery life remaining, etc. all from either it's screen or my desktop.

WHERE???? (PM if you don't want to share links)

Professional is only $65 if your a student in the US

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/default.aspx

WUT!?

I want it for $15 too!

My guess is he's got a family member in Microsoft. That's the going rate in the company store. Just about any Microsoft made software goes for about $15 new there, from games, to OSes. Just have to have a family member who works for microsoft.

Only annoyance is you get these ugly buggers slapped on your product you buy:
2006113006.jpg

IMG_0462.JPG

Microsoft has a special deal with my school- I picked up Microsoft Office '08 for OSX a few years ago for $20 :D

Spiffy new UPS. Much better than my ancient one as I can see current load, battery life remaining, etc. all from either it's screen or my desktop.

Oh nice I need one like that. For some reason in my building we get random power blips from time to time. Like we will lose power for something like 5 seconds and it comes back so I been thinking of getting one to run my router/NAS/WAP/HTPC for that few seconds while the power blips.

Oh nice I need one like that. For some reason in my building we get random power blips from time to time. Like we will lose power for something like 5 seconds and it comes back so I been thinking of getting one to run my router/NAS/WAP/HTPC for that few seconds while the power blips.

Yeah, sounds like your certainly need a UPS. :)

Spec'ed out it waas $2800 or so and it only weighs 1.38 kg. :) It's my work laptop for when I travel and whatnot. Going to SXSW for example in March and my old laptop was a big, heavy POS.

When I was looking at 11n routers the ONLY Cisco's that didn't have shit reviews cost $500+. If you are looking for customized firmware and ability to run a lot of different services on your routers Netgear/Cisco is not the best way to go. The absolute best (assuming you want low power consumption otherwise just use a PC) hardware for that is embedded style systems, such as Alix.2d2 system (500mhz Geode + 256MB RAM takes CF card for the OS and has 2 miniPCI and 2 USB ports) there are limitations such as only two Ethernet ports (WAN and LAN) that are 10/100 but it will be a complete business grade solution that will take just about anything you throw at it.

Cisco E4200 (very new) looks very nice according to smallnetbuilder.com, and my older Netgear WNDR3700 is scary good for 150usd: 624MHz chip, 64MB ram (upgradeable to 128MB), 5GbE ports (1WAN, 4LAN) 1 USB port. Its good for low-power apps like an IRC bouncer/cheap NAS/Printserver/FTP server and its pretty popular, so lots of support with the different firmwares (official, DD-WRT, OpenWRT)

Cisco E4200 (very new) looks very nice according to smallnetbuilder.com, and my older Netgear WNDR3700 is scary good for 150usd: 624MHz chip, 64MB ram (upgradeable to 128MB), 5GbE ports (1WAN, 4LAN) 1 USB port. Its good for low-power apps like an IRC bouncer/cheap NAS/Printserver/FTP server and its pretty popular, so lots of support with the different firmwares (official, DD-WRT, OpenWRT)
E4200 wasn't around when I was looking at them. The Netgear sounds pretty damn good, can it run something like pfSense or is it all Tomato/DD-WRT stuff?

E4200 wasn't around when I was looking at them. The Netgear sounds pretty damn good, can it run something like pfSense or is it all Tomato/DD-WRT stuff?

Well, no Tomato since they don't support it (they didn't a month ago). pfSense looks to be x86-only, so I don't think it can run on either. OpenWRT looks similar though, especially when you start adding packages to it. The main advantage OpenWRT has over others imo its the sheer level of control you have on it as opposed to stock FW. I haven't tried DD-WRT (yet, probably won't) so I can't comment on it.

EDIT: list of packages for OpenWRT (my WNDR3700 to be specific) here: Link.

Last edited:
I should probably Tomato my WRT, but are there any real advantages for someone who just torrents and has a few ports forwarded?

Well, no Tomato since they don't support it (they didn't a month ago). pfSense looks to be x86-only, so I don't think it can run on either. OpenWRT looks similar though, especially when you start adding packages to it. The main advantage OpenWRT has over others imo its the sheer level of control you have on it as opposed to stock FW. I haven't tried DD-WRT (yet, probably won't) so I can't comment on it.

EDIT: list of packages for OpenWRT (my WNDR3700 to be specific) here: Link.
I used DD-WRT and from what you say of Open there is no reason at all to go to DD. pfSense is in a somewhat different league from those firmware as it's basically customized BSD with a nice interface :)

I should probably Tomato my WRT, but are there any real advantages for someone who just torrents and has a few ports forwarded?

The fact it won't take a shit when you heavily torrent is reason enough. The stock firmware sucks.

I've never had any issues. Or at least I don't think I have.

DHL just delivered that:

picA0260195.jpg

Freecom Mobile Drive XXS Intel Edition 640GB
After i ordered a 1TB-2,5" external drive at a shop for really cheap, they noticed it was a pricing-error and delivered the 3,5"-version, which i didnt want. so I sent the 3,5" back, got my money back, and that Freecom (Intel sponsored gift probably) for free as a little "sorry" :).

Other recent things:
- Just some DDR2-Memory to keep the system running for a few more years. Now on 4x2GB 800 5-5-5-15 (2 Dual-Channel-Kits).

The fact it won't take a shit when you heavily torrent is reason enough. The stock firmware sucks.
That's more of a hardware issue, no? I had DD-WRT on WRT54G (v5 though so half the RAM) and it would take a shit even on a single torrent with decent speed.

My router, some random cheap Belkin, handles torrents just fine, even with lots of other things going on. It takes lots of shits, it's just that it does it randomly, seemingly no correlation with network activity :dunno:

My router, some random cheap Belkin, handles torrents just fine, even with lots of other things going on. It takes lots of shits, it's just that it does it randomly, seemingly no correlation with network activity :dunno:

Seems like routers aren't exact science :p

One fan for the Shuttle, one for the new NAS, and 1gb ram upgrade as well for the NAS from 256mb

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/03/09/CIMG1728.jpg