The "New Toys" Thread

So my linksys WRT320N decited that wlan is overrated, i rma'd it and since the shop didn't have them at all i got my money back.

Then used the money (88,90euros) to cut down a price on Netgear WNDR3700 to 41euros. :)

Doing the first setup for wlan, lan, usb etc

I don't know if i'm gonna change the firmware, but it downloaded new firmware automaticly that made it faster :eek:

also placed order on netgear GS108GE for 50.8 eur (not paid yet since the device is not in stock).

Edit. PS. thanks to Zed and some random dude in the shop i bought the WNDR3700 :D

Last edited:
4ac6a489-e1b4-8943.jpg

New fightstick.

I used DD-WRT and from what you say of Open there is no reason at all to go to DD. pfSense is in a somewhat different league from those firmware as it's basically customized BSD with a nice interface :)

OpenWRT has a package repo with more stuff than DD-WRT. And you can freely choose to install whatever you want and leave out what you don't want as opposed to DD-WRT where you're stuck with whatever is included in the build you've chosen.

That's more of a hardware issue, no? I had DD-WRT on WRT54G (v5 though so half the RAM) and it would take a shit even on a single torrent with decent speed.

It might just be related to the low RAM. IIRC DD-WRT likes a decent amount of RAM.

My router, some random cheap Belkin, handles torrents just fine, even with lots of other things going on. It takes lots of shits, it's just that it does it randomly, seemingly no correlation with network activity :dunno:

Seems like routers aren't exact science :p

Never was, and by the looks of it, won't be for quite a while to come.

So my linksys WRT320N decited that wlan is overrated, i rma'd it and since the shop didn't have them at all i got my money back.

Then used the money (88,90euros) to cut down a price on Netgear WNDR3700 to 41euros. :)

Doing the first setup for wlan, lan, usb etc

I don't know if i'm gonna change the firmware, but it downloaded new firmware automaticly that made it faster :eek:

also placed order on netgear GS108GE for 50.8 eur (not paid yet since the device is not in stock).

Edit. PS. thanks to Zed and some random dude in the shop i bought the WNDR3700 :D

I DEMAND reps! (just kidding :p).

On a more serious note, disable the firmware auto-update. Some versions (ahem everything besides 1.0.4.75 BETA and 1.0.7.98) were utter shitfests of bugs, instability and crappy performance.

Is yours in bridge mode with your modem?

Finally, which version is yours? a WNDR3700 or a WNDR3700v2?

I DEMAND reps! (just kidding :p).

On a more serious note, disable the firmware auto-update. Some versions (ahem everything besides 1.0.4.75 BETA and 1.0.7.98) were utter shitfests of bugs, instability and crappy performance.

So i was liek, where to find that out!

these are from the status-page:
Code:
Router Status
Hardware Version 	WNDR3700
Firmware Version 	V1.0.7.98
GUI Language Version 	V1.0.0.64

ps. The damm box was in german!!! :eek:

Last edited:
new toys time, yaaaay :dance:

1193933857.png

vi_image1.png

(it's a 1&1-branded fritzbox 7390...)
edit: i do realise that's a dutch speedtest server, but the german servers all suck!

Last edited:
As my headphones keep breaking on me I decided to try Klipsch's new entry level IEM:

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/po/polly/2011/03/10/image-s3-gray-packaging.jpg

Just installed that little Toy. After hours of thinking, reading and comparing, i got me my first LCD-TV and CRT is going to.. well i don't know yet.

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thomas/2011/03/10/37LE5300.JPG

Its a LG Electronics 37LE5300. Specs to be found everywhere if you care. Paid only 399? for it is a Demodevice. The local store is replacing all its Demo-TV's from the upper row (where nobody watches, just to look pretty) with a different model, so they sell the old ones without a Box for 399? (onlineprice in Germany is 530-550, regular shopprice there is 666).

I hope i won't regret it :D

Random thought: The Simpsons were fairly daring with that depiction of what is supposed to be the Olympic rings. Up-side-down and without the interlocking rings. I wonder if they got a call/letter anyways.

As my headphones keep breaking on me I decided to try Klipsch's new entry level IEM:

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/po/polly/2011/03/10/image-s3-gray-packaging.jpg
Nice! I rock S4i ones, really good headphones excellent sound quality.

I doubt it think so. Messing with the Simpsons IOC is a bad idea.

FTFY :p

But no, seriously, the IOC are a bunch of charlatans who would probably trademark different kinds of sports if they could.

So i was liek, where to find that out!

these are from the status-page:
Code:
Router Status
Hardware Version     WNDR3700
Firmware Version     V1.0.7.98
GUI Language Version     V1.0.0.64
ps. The damm box was in german!!! :eek:

Look at the back, it says WNDR3700 for v1 and WNDR3700v2 for v2

Last edited:
Leaving your car keys in the car is illegal over here.

I have a Friend with a car that the ignition key broke off in the ignition so you only need the door key. So would he go to jail?

Sorry, but that is a dumb law in my opinion.

I have a Friend with a car that the ignition key broke off in the ignition so you only need the door key. So would he go to jail?

Sorry, but that is a dumb law in my opinion.

The law states "motorized vehicles have to be secured against unauthorized use". Locking the doors probably satisfies that.
Also, you don't go to jail for every broken law. In this particular case it may make you somewhat liable for damages done with your car, and give any insurance an easy way out because you made a theft unnecessarily easy.

My 3700 is a v2... what exactly is the difference? I'm also apparently running Firmware 1.0.0.8 which the auto updater says is the up to date version..?