The "New Toys" Thread

Finally found a point&shoot I liked

canon-sx220-hs.jpg

and a new phone for the wife, just something basic and cheap

samsung+GT-B3310.jpg

Kodak Zx3 - not sure if keep.

Screen-shot-2010-06-16-at-4.00.44-PM.jpg

I was going to pick up a Zi8 but I figured it might be nice having a waterproof camera considering how often it rains here, for car videos and such.

I'm actually thoroughly impressed with the quality of this little thing!

Where should I share some sample videos? We should have a videography thread or something.

Last edited:
Got a birthday present for my girlfriend, she wanted a Razer Imperator... and while at it, I decided to finally get the replacement for my pretty-much-but-still-not-quite-dead MX510:

<some rats>

Sweet another member of teh G500 club! Cue ZeDestructor repeating the same.

Already covered by RaptorJesus :p

Care to give us a comparison of the two?

Got one of the last sets in sydney (at least) retails for AU$270-300 but got a nice deal on it for only AU$146. Given it was a display unit but i was never used and in immaculate condition, I consider it a steal! :D

LogitechZ-2300Speakers.jpg

I know the Z623 THX is out but frankly i was disappointed that it was inferior to the 2300 in all aspects. :|

Got one of the last sets in sydney (at least) retails for AU$270-300 but got a nice deal on it for only AU$146. Given it was a display unit but i was never used and in immaculate condition, I consider it a steal! :D

LogitechZ-2300Speakers.jpg

I know the Z623 THX is out but frankly i was disappointed that it was inferior to the 2300 in all aspects. :|

OMG you guys get buttraped in price. I was considering it before I bought my speakers today, and saw it online for 150ish. Total AUS butthurt, but at least you got it at a reasonable price.

Well, after a try at trying to get the shipping down on the Unicomp keyboard (site said $30, in reality it was closer to $80,) I decided to go for something more affordable. The result was a Das Ultimate S Silent Series (MX Cherry Browns.)

das-keyboard-model-S.jpg

No that's not a photoshop, the keyboard has the option of no labels (which I chose.)

Last edited:
OMG you guys get buttraped in price. I was considering it before I bought my speakers today, and saw it online for 150ish. Total AUS butthurt, but at least you got it at a reasonable price.

Yeah... we hate GST... even starbucks here costs 5.50-7.50 (its only 3.80 there i think?)

Well, after a try at trying to get the shipping down on the Unicomp keyboard (site said $30, in reality it was closer to $80,) I decided to go for something more affordable. The result was a Das Ultimate S Silent Series (MX Cherry Browns.)

das-keyboard-model-S.jpg

No that's not a photoshop, the keyboard has the option of no labels (which I chose.)

Can you really 100% remember where all the letters are? :blink:

I would, and I never even learned to type properly with the home row or whatever it's called.

Not saying I'm a fan of the "debaged" look, but I could use it without any issues. :p

if you touch type you dont really look

A classmate of mine has that Samsung, it's a quite interesting looking phone.

I've played with it a bit now, what's weird is that you have the numbers on the front of the phone, aswell as the slider keyboard.... which is odd, since the numbers arent 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9 as you expect them to.
Battery life is a bit on the weak side also, as it seems....

das-keyboard-model-S.jpg

That is epic and awesome.... cool that they even make keyboards like that.
You'd be so happy if you get a 'press any key' message now :lol:

if you touch type you dont really look

True, but you use a keyboard for more than just typing. A keyboard like that would bother me when I go for symbols, numbers, Function keys, or special keys like insert/delete. Sure I could figure it out, but it would be more trouble than its worth.

But think about your e-penis. It will be tiny in comparison.

True, but you use a keyboard for more than just typing. A keyboard like that would bother me when I go for symbols, numbers, Function keys, or special keys like insert/delete. Sure I could figure it out, but it would be more trouble than its worth.
I have to agree, I don't need to look at my kbd when typing normal text but for numbers/symbols or function keys (like on laptop) I generally need to look. It also doesn't help that modifier keys on my Mac are different from my work and my Linux laptops (lack of the whole Apple key) so I have to look sometimes because I keep hitting Alt instead of Ctrl on the "PC" kbds.

Can you really 100% remember where all the letters are? :blink:

You do, after a lot of typing. That's why fast touch-typists swear by the home-row and home-keys F and J. Check your KB, the F and J should have a small ridge/dot or something that you can feel (and should use to position when your fingers are when not typing).

As already said, remembering the letters is pretty easy but remembering all the symbols and numbers can be a bit of a pain.

For me, the biggest annoyance is using the keyboard on different oses (mainly OSX vs Windows. The keys are different, so a number of keys are incorrect.

I also don't really look at the keyboard at all, so the labels are just bound to wear off in the number of years and look dodgy.

I liken this keyboard to a piano though. You have 88 keys on a piano, none of them have names. None of them need names.