The "New Toys" Thread

See that's another problem. Captivate's latest official firmware is 2.1, I could get 2.3 (probably) if I wanted to jump through some huge hoops (had to do it with boss lady's Droid Incredible). Depending on your provider/manufacturer you can be very much behind on your OS, this is not the best position to be in.

Yep, only one intuitive, easy and very obvious way. Just like basic car controls this particular functionality does not need any diversity***.
***Having physical keyboard do that with arrows would be pretty much the only other useful way of doing it.

BTW how do you copy past from an email on Captivate? Anyone have any idea tried so far:
Press and hold
Press at beginning of text and end of text and hold (two fingers)
Menu button
Going back to iPhone and doing it there - this one worked.

Copying text from an e-mail is actually my primary complaint in all of Android.

Menu > More > Select text

Then, my second complaint when dealing with non-2.3+ is the less-than-awesome text selection.

I've never done the menu -> more -> select text, long press on the text box seems to always bring up a "select text" for me. At least every time I've tried (which is not often).

So? Every platform has pros and cons. You praised Android for hardware diversity earlier. That's a definite pro, but it has the con of delayed and fragmented updates.
I never said anything to the contrary but such fragmentation is definitely a problem and one that Google seems to be trying to mitigate at least somewhat. Nothing is perfect but currently iPhone is [arguably] the better smartphone when it comes to the feature balance. So far from my experience I would definitely say it is the more stable/reliable one.

Copying text from an e-mail is actually my primary complaint in all of Android.

Menu > More > Select text

Then, my second complaint when dealing with non-2.3+ is the less-than-awesome text selection.

Don't have that my menu has:
Add to contacts
Save to Calendar
Forward
Display Mode - the latter just changes between inverted colors and normal.
I've never done the menu -> more -> select text, long press on the text box seems to always bring up a "select text" for me. At least every time I've tried (which is not often).
Don't work for me

I never said anything to the contrary but such fragmentation is definitely a problem and one that Google seems to be trying to mitigate at least somewhat. Nothing is perfect but currently iPhone is [arguably] the better smartphone when it comes to the feature balance. So far from my experience I would definitely say it is the more stable/reliable one.

The whole feature balance thing is subjective though, totally subjective. You'd be right in saying iPhone strikes a better balance for more people than Android does, but still.

And for sure, Google is trying to do something about the fragmentation issue. But what can they do really? They can't keep withdolding source codes like they did for Honeycomb, guessing that was sort of okay since it was just for tablets. But Android is supposed to be open source, Google can block Market and Maps and stuff but the base OS is supposed to be open to anyone to use as they wish. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Anyway, this is a way offtopic discussion and I have no clue how we got here. I'm going out to enjoy what is the third sunniest day we've had since October. :|

Last edited:
The whole feature balance thing is subjective though, totally subjective. You'd be right in saying iPhone strikes a better balance for more people than Android does, but still.

And for sure, Google is trying to do something about the fragmentation issue. But what can they do really? They can't keep withdolding source codes like they did for Honeycomb, guessing that was sort of okay since it was just for tablets. But Android is supposed to be open source, Google can block Market and Maps and stuff but the base OS is supposed to be open to anyone to use as they wish. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Anyway, this is a way offtopic discussion and I have no clue how we got here. I'm going out to enjoy what is the third sunniest day we've had since October. :|

We have no sun :(

New comp:

IMG_20110520_165710.jpg

Yes the cooler is massive, but I love it. Keeps the cpu around 39*C also it's quiet as all hell.

-AMD Phenom II 965
-ASUS Mobo with USB 3.0 and 6gb/sec sata
-4 GB G.Skill ram @1333
-650W Corsair Modular PSU

I'm going to add a video card within the next month, I'll probably go with 560Ti or something...

Yes the cooler is massive, but I love it. Keeps the cpu around 39*C also it's quiet as all hell.

-AMD Phenom II 965
-ASUS Mobo with USB 3.0 and 6gb/sec sata
-4 GB G.Skill ram @1333
-650W Corsair Modular PSU

I'm going to add a video card within the next month, I'll probably go with 560Ti or something...

Lawl Phenom. :p

Why didn't you just wait for Bulldozer to drive down Phenom prices, or just get a Bulldozer instead. It should be out sometime in June which would have been within you timeframe for getting a new GPU.

Why didn't you just wait for Bulldozer to drive down Phenom prices, or just get a Bulldozer instead. It should be out sometime in June which would have been within you timeframe for getting a new GPU.

a) I'm an idiot and I don't research these things
b) I needed a computer ASAP, this will be more than enough CPU for me so I'm really not worried about it, it wasn't like I spent a fortune on it anyways...
c) I was shooting for a high powered affordable system.

How much better is bulldozer going to be anyways?

I think it's supposed to really live up to its name.

Meh, if I would really benefit maybe I'll relegate this system to HTPC/Server duty and build another one. It doesn't really matter to me. I've been using a MacBook for 4.5 years so anything at this point is fine by me...

Last edited:
If I had seriously kept track of all the completely oddball things I discovered and bought thanks to FinalGear folks... :p

gopro-hd-helmet-hero-box_1.jpg

10158503.jpg

107659812-260x260-0-0_go+pro+gopro+hd+wrist+housing+ahdwh+001.jpg

I didn't buy the wrist strap, it was thrown in for free but I've no clue as to the application.

So far, impressions are that it's a neat toy but man, who the hell designed this packaging? Took me no less than 25 minutes to open, and another 10 minutes to swap out the rear waterproof doors... no wonder so many used GoPros are missing boxes, most people probably rip right through the stupid thing.

a) I'm an idiot and I don't research these things
b) I needed a computer ASAP, this will be more than enough CPU for me so I'm really not worried about it, it wasn't like I spent a fortune on it anyways...
c) I was shooting for a high powered affordable system.

How much better is bulldozer going to be anyways?

At least you got a AM3+ socket so if you ever wanted to drop in a new chip you can.

"Yo dawg, we heard you like fans so we put a fan on your fan so you can suck while you blow"

lol that's my case, I have a total of 5 fans in my comp...