The "New Toys" Thread

I finally got around to getting myself a new mouse to replace my long dead OCZ Equalizer. I ended up with one of these:

17697.png

It's a Logitech G9x. I've only used it for about 5 minutes and I can already say that this is probably the best mouse I have ever used. I was originally going to get a G500, but the store was out of stock and I decided to pay the difference for the G9x so I didn't have to come back again.

Can you not root?

*Hugs his Nexus S that comes with no locks whatsoever*

Damn you and your free range Nexus S (same price as the IS, just felt like getting a IS) :mad:

Bell Incredible S' apparently cannot be permenantly rooted unless you have a XTC Clip (they solved it just yesterday). Aka it's S-ON (Security ON)

Can only temporarily root it, just to remove bloatware, so have to wait till i get my unlock code at the very least so i can use it with my Rogers SIM <_<

So about a week ago I ordered a pair of THESE:
sr80i.png

Grado SR-80i cans. Wanted summer cans that are comfortable with great sound quality. They were awesome. Too bad the glue on mine came undone and one of the headphones fell off the little metal rail thingie.

I had gotten an email from the company I bought them from, Spearit Sound (Through Amazon), so I emailed them back.

Spearit Sound said:
Order ID 104-5952407-9318665:
1 of Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone

------------- Begin message -------------

Thank you for your order for the Grado headphones. If we can be of any help or answer any questions, please get in touch.

Thanks again,

Dick Moulding

Spearit Sound
351 Pleasant St.
Northampton, MA 01060
1(413) 584-9547
1(877) 853-7425 toll free
Store Hours: M-F: 10-7, Sat: 10-6, Sun: 12-5 (Eastern time

------------- End message -------------

For Your Information: To help arbitrate disputes and preserve trust and safety, we retain all messages buyers and sellers send through Amazon.com for two years. This includes your response to the message above. Amazon.com uses filtering technology to protect buyers and sellers from possible fraud. Messages that fail this filtering will not be transmitted.

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on Amazon.com. Learn more about Safe Online Shopping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=10412241) and our safe buying guarantee (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537868).

me said:
I do actually have a question - after recieving my SR-80s, one of the headphones fell off the little metal rail shortly after unboxing. I replaced the headphone, but now it will nnot stay on and continues to fall of constantly. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done about this. I certainly consider it a manufacturing flaw.

Pictures can be provided if needed.

Twenty minutes later.....

Spearit Sound said:
Hi derp,

Thanks for letting us know about the problem. We're going to send a replacment pair as well as a prepaid call tag for the bad set. This is not a problem we've seen often, the new pair should take care of it for you.

Best regards,

Dick Moulding
General Manager

Spearit Sound
351 Pleasant St.
Northampton, MA 01060
1(413) 584-9547
1(877) 853-7425 toll free
http://www.SpearitSound.com
Store Hours: M-F: 10-7, Sat: 10-6, Sun: 12-5 (Eastern time)
"Hear it at Spearit."

I can't say enough for customer service like this.

Then, yesterday, my Kindle screen broke. Didn't drop it or anything. Called Amazon, and I'll have a new Kindle Wednesday.

Last edited:
Then, yesterday, my Kindle screen broke. Didn't drop it or anything. Called Amazon, and I'll have a new Kindle Wednesday.
Seems like Customer Service is treating you well then :)

Glad you'll be getting replacements, it's something some companies lack.

Seems like Customer Service is treating you well then :)

Glad you'll be getting replacements, it's something some companies lack.

Amazon's customer service continues to convince me to constantly buy shit from them. It WORKS.

Damn you and your free range Nexus S (same price as the IS, just felt like getting a IS) :mad:

Bell Incredible S' apparently cannot be permenantly rooted unless you have a XTC Clip (they solved it just yesterday). Aka it's S-ON (Security ON)

Can only temporarily root it, just to remove bloatware, so have to wait till i get my unlock code at the very least so i can use it with my Rogers SIM <_<

Mind you, in under a week I have repeatedly bricked the phone in the process of finding a good ROM+Kernel combo, so getting my hands dirty/breaking the phone does not faze me.

Currently on rooted stock ROM with NetArchy Kernel and SetCPU at 1.4GHz (40% OC). Final jump in Quadrant score was from ~1700 (factory) to ~3300. Quite nice considering the Galaxy S this is based on will only do ~900 points :D

The best part? I do not own a USB keyboard. I only have the ones that go to the dells, they are from 2001 and 2003. They use the retarded round plugs, so they will not plug into the tablet.

You can get PS2->USB adapters so you can.

USB-PS2-Adapter_big.jpg

Last edited:
You can also get crappy USB keyboards, probably for similar prices and they wouldn't have come from my father's condo making them forever smell of stale tobacco smoke. :lol:

Mind you, in under a week I have repeatedly bricked the phone in the process of finding a good ROM+Kernel combo, so getting my hands dirty/breaking the phone does not faze me.

Currently on rooted stock ROM with NetArchy Kernel and SetCPU at 1.4GHz (40% OC). Final jump in Quadrant score was from ~1700 (factory) to ~3300. Quite nice considering the Galaxy S this is based on will only do ~900 points :D

Did the Galaxy S really get that low of a score? I'm pretty sure my Captivate was up around the 1700 range stock, but even just installing a lagfix helped quite a lot. On a similar note, my Inspire went from something like 1600 range stock to 2300+ with CM7 and 1.5GHz overclock. The relatively weak GPU is the biggest thing holding back a larger improvement. That said, actual responsiveness and daily use is much improved. No matter though, come November it's being retired.

5l9kNaE

Corsair HX750

This is the first piece of my new computer since 2004.

The rest will be coming soon I hope.
Waiting to get really good deals

Along with HX750 I will be adding

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
IMG_20110604_171738.jpg

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
IMG_20110604_171746.jpg

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
IMG_20110604_171757.jpg

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
IMG_20110604_171821.jpg

LITE-ON 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner with 3D PlaybackiHBS212 LightScribe
IMG_20110604_171806.jpg

And Now I am just waiting on my case which should be here Monday or Tuesday
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
650d_a.png

I will be getting a next gen ATI/AMD card when they come out but untill then I will just use onboard

I am also planing on eventually getting a
CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
h60_new_viewc.png

mhmmm second screen... mhmm... Dell U2311H with a nice IPS panel :)
dell_u2311h.jpg

I am planning on getting two Dell U2211H as my monitors with one in landscape and one in portrait.
Eizbaer, how do you like yours?

Last edited:
I am planning on getting two Dell U2211H as my monitors with one in landscape and one in portrait.
Eizbaer, how do you like yours?

So far I am really happy with it. the whole display puts my old samsung to shame, but that was to be expected. the difference is actually as noticeable that it annoys me a little bit because up to now i was really happy with my old samsung 245b -.-
can't really say much more about it. build quality is quite good and the stand works well - no wobble and it does properly catch in one position.
4x USB hub is an additional bonus, works well.

So far I am really happy with it. the whole display puts my old samsung to shame, but that was to be expected. the difference is actually as noticeable that it annoys me a little bit because up to now i was really happy with my old samsung 245b -.-
can't really say much more about it. build quality is quite good and the stand works well - no wobble and it does properly catch in one position.
4x USB hub is an additional bonus, works well.

Why did you go with the 23" over the 21.5"

Why did you go with the 23" over the 21.5"

Because it came with a dozen jelly donuts for free... I assume because he wanted something big?

My old monitor looked really crap when I got an IPS too, I ended up just selling it.

My new Eizo is really hard to photograph. When Eizo does it it looks like this after they photoshop away the light sensor and IR-reciever.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/produktfoto2.jpg

When I do it it looks like this.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/fg1.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/fg2.jpg

Black/backlight bleed in a dark room with FlatpanelHD's calibration settings looks like this. Red dots are camera artifacts.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/blacklevel_001.jpg

Build quality is flawless.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/japan.jpg

Nice things:
  • I see new shades of colours in places I haven't seen them before on my TN monitor.
  • Black is back.
  • Oozes quality. Matte plastic is so much better than shiny plastic.
  • Much faster than I anticipated. No perceptible difference between my old TN and this.
  • Light sensor adjusts brightness automatically.
  • Foot is rock steady.
  • 16:9 is nice for games and movies.
  • Remote control for quick and easy configuration.
  • Five year warranty.
  • Cheap!

Bad things
  • USELESS speakers. They're only good for playing windows system sounds.
  • Only tilt adjustment
  • Must not loose remote control.
  • 16:10 would be better.
  • Glue on colour strip is too strong. I didnt get it perfectly level when I put it on and now it won't budge.
  • Slightly ugly due to useless speakers.

I am well impressed, this monitor is perfect for all but the most fast paced games, works well for word processing and movie watching. A very allround screen. I give it 9/10. If it had a FlexStand and lost the speakers it'd be a 10.

Last edited:
So it has a TV tuner? Or the remote is just for OSD stuff?

I forgot to post my new toy by the way since I so was busy toying around with it, so here it is - Eee Pad Transformer 16GB:

asus-eee-pad-transformer-3.jpg

One of these days I'll actually starting taking my own photos...

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/06/05/fg1.jpg

xzibit.jpg

And everyone seems to be getting a tablet. I can't wait for them to become more popular and inherently cheaper. Also, I'd love to see cheaper Windows based ones so it can replace my laptop completely.

So it has a TV tuner? Or the remote is just for OSD stuff?
Nope. Just settings and input selection, quick toggle between modes, volume and ON/OFF.

Tablets, what do they do.

Got 2x LG IPS236V-PNs have to set them up next week or so:
LG-LED-Monotor-IPS236V-PN-1.jpg

Another Gigabit switch for the new house, TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D)
31QRVoL0DNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These came today: 2x SAMSUNG F4 HD204UI 2TB. 1 is to replace a failing disk in my 6bay NAS, the other is just-in-case.
22-152-245-Z02

And naturally, some lego :D

!CDQrzv!CWk~$%28KGrHqUOKooE0fdTtG2TBNN7tkMK9g~~_35.JPG

51%2BKr2pxwXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

7876.jpg

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CLG5765lg.jpg