The "New Toys" Thread

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127218

I will not be defeated by wi-fi!

(a little background, I broke my current PCI wi-fi adapter. The PCI-e adapter would sit above the video card which means the antennae get to be above the super thick cables from my two monitors, and having three of them looks badass. I would go Linksys but that's what my current one is and they really dropped the ball on driver support, there hasn't been a single driver update since release. To add insult to injury, this is hardware version 2, hardware version 1 has updated drivers. Version 2 doesn't even get an installer).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127218

I will not be defeated by wi-fi!

(a little background, I broke my current PCI wi-fi adapter. The PCI-e adapter would sit above the video card which means the antennae get to be above the super thick cables from my two monitors, and having three of them looks badass. I would go Linksys but that's what my current one is and they really dropped the ball on driver support, there hasn't been a single driver update since release. To add insult to injury, this is hardware version 2, hardware version 1 has updated drivers. Version 2 doesn't even get an installer).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

That's what we do in any form of networking. It works well so far. Lack of updates in wifi cards/ lan chips just means that the current ones are just as good. In fact, newer drivers/firmware isn't always good: just look at Nvidia's GPU drivers, its just an endless story of swapping drivers to fix one bug only to revert back to older versions because the new driver screws up something else and so on and so forth until you find one that works. Even my router has a similar story: I used the older firmware because it was better than the new one for a full 3 releases...

That's what we do in any form of networking. It works well so far. Lack of updates in wifi cards/ lan chips just means that the current ones are just as good. In fact, newer drivers/firmware isn't always good: just look at Nvidia's GPU drivers, its just an endless story of swapping drivers to fix one bug only to revert back to older versions because the new driver screws up something else and so on and so forth until you find one that works. Even my router has a similar story: I used the older firmware because it was better than the new one for a full 3 releases...

It was broke. Very unstable under Windows 7 and not officially supported on it. So yeah, an update would have been nice in that regard. I ended up getting a Windows 7 supported driver from Ralink, the chipset manufacturer. That worked really well.

But my beef is that there were updates for hardware version 1 of the card that were several years newer than the version 2 drivers. Version 2 didn't even have an installation program, just a zip file with the drivers in it.... for whatever reason they just neglected this card.

Isn't that a bit fancy for a netbook iirc you hardly use? :p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122321 I have this plugged into the desktop in the next room. Works with xp, 7, and ubuntu.

It's for the desktop, that one is my fault, I snapped the antennae off my old one.

It was broke. Very unstable under Windows 7 and not officially supported on it. So yeah, an update would have been nice in that regard. I ended up getting a Windows 7 supported driver from Ralink, the chipset manufacturer. That worked really well.

But my beef is that there were updates for hardware version 1 of the card that were several years newer than the version 2 drivers. Version 2 didn't even have an installation program, just a zip file with the drivers in it.... for whatever reason they just neglected this card.

Always use from the device manufacturer, not the OEM/retailer/cd/whatever. LOTS of things work better without custom bloat

It's for the desktop, that one is my fault, I snapped the antennae off my old one.

I'd rather use a LAN cable.

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/d-/d-fence/2011/07/01/IMAG0419.jpg

New #11 Jumbo keychain cam to replace my broken #3 808.

It can run up to 110 minutes on one charge (old one: 45 minutes), shoots videos in real HD 1280x720 in H.264 MOV (old one: 720x480) and I have firmware flashed it so no more timestamp AND continous recording for 1h20 mins until FAT32 filesize limit kicks in. Came with two USB cables (one to only charge it), car adaptor, velcro and a BMW sticker :D. Oh and you can charge it while recording! Brilliant! Taking it for a testdrive tonight, so here is a non-D-Fence-made video (make sure to watch in 720p)

[video=youtube;4_z-Y8mkXPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_z-Y8mkXPY[/video]

Surely not a GoPro but only 35 USD :) - thanks MXM for Tip :)

I like that it can operate while charging. I hate devices that power off when plugged in.

Yeah, that annoyed me a lot about the old one.......anyways, time to take it for a drive :)

20-231-310-02.jpg

A second 4GB stick for my desktop, getting low memory warnings when playing TF2, which may also be the cause of some lag-like annoyance I see from time to time.

I ordered one of these:

Arc_Keyboard_NewAngle_print_2.jpg

I've been a Logitech man for several years but I couldn't find any other nice alternatives that were compact. The diNovo Edge is 3 or 4x the price of it, which I cannot justify.

My old, 'classic', diNovo has keys which have started to stick more and more lately, so it's probably time for an upgrade. It will be nice to get rid of all the bluetooth rubbish aswell.

bd-c5500__86479_zoom.jpg

Samsung BD-C5500. My old DVD player started failing, so I got this as a replacement. No 3D, since I consider it a worthless gimmick and watching 3D gives me splitting headaches. Also, some content:
ts3standardblu.jpg

materbdfront.jpg

walleblurayfront.jpg

ratbdfront.jpg

Last edited:
^ Everything but Nemo is out on Blu...

How is Finding Nemo not available on BR?