The "New Toys" Thread

It's Disney. They only sell their films for a limited time, then withdraw the stock and throw it all in a huge pit because they hate the jews consumers.

Last edited:
My apt gets random power blips, as in power goes out for a second or two and comes back on. Very random absolutely 0 predictability, it could be fine for months or happen twice in a week. The next to last time it happened my NAS wasn't very happy (OK now) and it happened again a couple of days later. So I picked up one of these, cheapest unit I could find ($42+tax). So far so good, tested it by unplugging and the NAS was running fine, need to get another one for the routers + 360 + video streamer, gonna need something bigger for that, might even splurge a bit and get one that can handle the TV and the receiver too just so I don't have to interrupt games or watching things while the power blips.
CP550SL-Front.jpg

How is Finding Nemo not available on BR?

They started supporting Blu with new releases and they've been releasing the older catalog titles one at a time. Incredibles came out about 6 months ago and now the only one left undone is Nemo and that's coming. It takes Pixar a lot of work to throw these together since they render direct to digital bypassing film. Although there's speculation they're just sitting on it since it was announced in 2006. Maybe they did it back then and are scrapping it for a redo.

Last edited:
A second 4GB stick for my desktop, getting low memory warnings when playing TF2, which may also be the cause of some lag-like annoyance I see from time to time.

If you're getting memory warnings with 4 GB of RAM playing TF2, something is going wrong. Running TF2 on my 4 GB 64 bit Windows 7 desktop uses less than 50%. Unless you're multitasking of course.

Always use from the device manufacturer, not the OEM/retailer/cd/whatever. LOTS of things work better without custom bloat

Absolutely nothing about the card or its packaging indicates that Linksys is not the manufacturer, I had to do some digging for that one. Even then I'm not sure it's the right term, Ralink makes the chip and Linksys puts the card together.

I'd rather use a LAN cable.
So would I, but I'd have to take apart a significant portion of the house to get a cable to where my computer is from the router :p

Last edited:
Picked it up at the post office today. Now I need to try to get used to it. >_>

That's my fear about a ergonomic keyboard...that i'd never get used to it and i'd be out 40 bucks..

If I ever get a desktop, I'll use one of those apple aluminum keyboards. Yes, many think they're shit, but I disagree.

I don't see it as an ergonomic keyboard, as much as a compact keyboard. The biggest advantage with this style of keyboard is that your hands don't need to move about as much, compared to tradional keyboards.

I guess you can call the Arc the Apple Wireless Keyboard for Windows...

If you're getting memory warnings with 4 GB of RAM playing TF2, something is going wrong. Running TF2 on my 4 GB 64 bit Windows 7 desktop uses less than 50%. Unless you're multitasking of course.

Well, fairly light mutitasking, but enough it seems. My system sits at 40-50% all the time anyway, typically running Chrome with at least three tabs, Firefox with two(Lordkat stream and Chatzilla for his IRC), Steam, and another instance of CZ via XULrunner for #gear. Sometimes also Zune for music over the network. I've gone to closing everything else while playing for now and it seems happy.

Absolutely nothing about the card or its packaging indicates that Linksys is not the manufacturer, I had to do some digging for that one. Even then I'm not sure it's the right term, Ralink makes the chip and Linksys puts the card together.

The joys of consumer products. They will NEVER tell you whats in it exactly :(. And they even change parts withing 6months of production. Recent example: Mum got a Toshiba L650 from office with a Broadcom wifi chip, Adu got one with a Realtek chip. Both are 802.11n but Adu's realtek only does 6Mbps while mum's Broadcom does 72Mbps with identical routers -.- (both listed linkspeed)

So would I, but I'd have to take apart a significant portion of the house to get a cable to where my computer is from the router :p

And that's all that's stopping you? :p

The router is on an "island" so my two options are going through the floor into the garage, then finding a way to route through a few doorways and around a chimney, or going across the ceiling, then down the stairs and through the same doorways and around the same chimney.

Also it's not my house and I didn't have a say in the placement of said router :p

The router is on an "island" so my two options are going through the floor into the garage, then finding a way to route through a few doorways and around a chimney, or going across the ceiling, then down the stairs and through the same doorways and around the same chimney.

Also it's not my house and I didn't have a say in the placement of said router :p
Wi-fi it is :) There is also powerline networking but it's fairly slow, as in 802.11n will make it it's bitch.

Wi-fi it is :) There is also powerline networking but it's fairly slow, as in 802.11n will make it it's bitch.

Tried that, the "island" only has one power plug so there are power strips on it, and powerline networking doesn't work through power strips. Not to mention not all outlets are connected to each other. Yes, I have thought this through, if I can finally get a reliable wi-fi card it should be the best solution. For once I didn't just go for the ultra-cheap option.

Tried that, the "island" only has one power plug so there are power strips on it, and powerline networking doesn't work through power strips. Not to mention not all outlets are connected to each other. Yes, I have thought this through, if I can finally get a reliable wi-fi card it should be the best solution. For once I didn't just go for the ultra-cheap option.
So I see :) In all honesty I would go for Wi-Fi over powerline any day, mostly due to the very real difference in speed but convenience is also a factor.