The "New Toys" Thread

I've been staring at it on and off for the last two hours, I love it

I am a bit confused about keeping it at the right temperature, and how long I can leave it on for, im told 8 hours or less is good, and when it starts to collect at the ends to turn it off...

They're all a bit different, different brands use slightly different stuff or recipes that hold up differently, different bulbs produce different amounts of heat. Larger ones are usually fine to leave on longer periods (I have a floor lamp that's good for a week or two depending how warm the apartment gets) and a large table one that I've had on for a month or two now. The smaller ones like that probably shouldn't go more than a day or two without a cooling cycle. In practice though I turn them off when they start to get lots of small little lava balls floating around or "bubbles" inside the lava.

thanks for the info, I run the AC at night so the room is quite cool till I turn it off in the morning, can I leave it on till then (that would be a little over 12h)? it's a 25w bulb and the bottle is about a foot long, not sure what that translates to in fl oz

If that even came close to killing it I would be literally flabberghasted.

sorry to be the dont-waste-energy-nazi but... why do you have to keep the damn thing on at night or for "a month or two"? even if its only a 25W bulb, i still dont get it :?

Dell-XPS-15-and-XPS-17-Sandy-Bridge-Laptops-570x423.jpg

i5 2410, GT540M, 4GB, 1080p panel :clap:

Will add more ram later, upgrading via dell too expensive, also will get ssd out of my desktop when I replace it. :p

ipad2-01.jpg

wifi only, 16GB.

You know what - Despite being an Android fan I'm liking it so far. Parents find it insanely easy to use too, which was a big part of why I bought one. Jailbreaked already to install some tweaks to browser settings, etc.

Last edited:
You know what - Despite being an Android fan I'm liking it so far. [...] Jailbreaked already to install some tweaks to browser settings, etc.

Exactly my experience from two weeks ago, when I've got mine. What tweaks have you done with the jailbreak? I haven't jailbroken mine yet, the only thing I can think of as a reason would be the VLC app, but I don't really need it right now (AirVideo ftw).

Atm, just SBsettings as well as little tweaks to the email view and being able to have more than 9 open windows in browser. I can't remember the names of the tweaks but they showed up in Cydia homescreen. Haven't had an iOS device in a while so I gotta figure most of it out again lol.

Can't wait till iOS5 gets released.

I'm back from vacation and in the meantime my Transformer got delivered :D
I'm updating to 3.1 as I'm typing this so expect a little review in the Android thread tomorrow :p

DSC_02011.jpg

DSC_02031.jpg

Yeah, yeah, ancient tech, but I've always wanted one and not overpriced like most novelty things here are :D

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/07/09/CIMG2136.jpg

And you guys don't get high? :p

Seriously, there are cool. I am also easily amused at times.

LCD BacPac for the GoPro HD:

80_tiny_ACLDB-005-683x426.683x426.jpg

Was going to buy it from their official site, but they wanted 114 usd for shipping. I THINK NOT!

No, I found it locally for a lot cheaper than it would have cost from the official site.

gear_comp_wd20ears_hd.jpg

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARS).

First step in hard drive space upgrade I'm planning in this PC. Second step will be another 1TB 7200rpm drive for a RAID0 stripe with the current system drive, and the (potential) third step will be an SSD to speed up the system even further; the system and most used software will then go onto the SSD, games and all other software onto the 1TB RAID0 stripe, and data goes onto the today's newcomer 2TB (which will probably also get a twin for a RAID1 mirror at some point).

gear_comp_wd20ears_hd.jpg

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARS).

First step in hard drive space upgrade I'm planning in this PC. Second step will be another 1TB 7200rpm drive for a RAID0 stripe with the current system drive, and the (potential) third step will be an SSD to speed up the system even further; the system and most used software will then go onto the SSD, games and all other software onto the 1TB RAID0 stripe, and data goes onto the today's newcomer 2TB (which will probably also get a twin for a RAID1 mirror at some point).

RAID 0 SSD :D