The "New Toys" Thread

LG-G-Slate-500x319.jpg

LG Optimus Pad (aka G-slate)

The 3D shit is gimmicky as hell, but it's a really nice little tablet.

Did you get 4 doors with both the packs? And are they identical?

A total of 6 doors. The reason the LCD comes with 4 doors is because the wrist case is like upside down or something compared to the normal case (look at where the hinge and buttons are on the LCD doors).

The LCD doors have padding on the sides (either side of the screen) while the battery doors have padding much more like the two stock doors except with the air openings being like the LCD doors.

I think I might be able to use the LCD doors with the battery pack.

EDIT: Nope. The battery pack is slightly fatter than the LCD pack. Guess I'll be bringing 4 doors this weekend (two for each pack -- one for dry, one for rain).

Last edited:
lol... how silly. You'd think they'd at least make the 2 parts equal in thickness. But I suppose if they were making a new mould due to the LCD pac's button, I suppose it didn't really matter.

lol... how silly. You'd think they'd at least make the 2 parts equal in thickness. But I suppose if they were making a new mould due to the LCD pac's button, I suppose it didn't really matter.

They wanted to make the LCD as thin as possible I imagine. Yes, if it were thicker then I could use it with the battery pack but I guess they don't expect you to swap a lot. And frankly once I mount it using the LCD screen to aim it, I won't be -- battery pack and forget about it.

New desktop:

http://img836.imageshack.**/img836/160/hphpe150t.jpg
BASIC FEATURES

• [*]Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 (Sandybridge) quad-core processor [3.1GHz, 6MB cache] with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    [*]6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
    [*]1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
    [*]1GB dedicated GeForce 315 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    [*]LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    [*]Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
    [*]Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit)

With that quadcore it's certainly a good workhorse, but if you want to play some even reasonably current games the graphics card is rubbish. Call of Duty 5 (the current one is CoD 7) in 1280x1024 at only 1x antialiasing and 1x anisotropic filtering will barely exceed the 20 fps-mark since the Geforce 315 is just a renamed GT 220 which was the low-end-chip of 2009...

Yes, I realized the card was quite basic when I purchased the computer. Most of the games I plan to play are on the source engine or came out years ago. Left for Dead 2, Portal 2, RTSs from the last few years, older shooters, etc.

frontweb2.jpg

That case. Cept it sticks out a bit from the desk. Nevertheless, still a sleek modern case with sound deadening and Moduvents :)

Do you need those if you shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance in post?

They give me a consistent, accurate white balance to start with and that saves a lot of time and trouble in post processing. They're especially helpful to use over multiple shots when the lighting stays constant (i.e. shooting indoors).

Fractal's cases are the awesome, I want a R3 myself even though I have a nice case already. Because the R3 is nicer.

If this isn't the crowning archievement of my geek life I don't know what would be.

1. Bought a subscription to a US based VPN service.
2. Applied for a virtual credit card.
3. Used the cc and the VPN service to subscribe to netflix.
4. Used the old Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N to create a wireless VPN access point.
5. Installed the netflix app on my android.

All that just so I can stream movies in Germany. Idiotic, expensive, overly complicated?
Sure, but I had to...because I can.

Well, doesn't that mean you can also get crap like Hulu and whatnot?

Yes, but hulu seems to be one giant ad for hulu plus. It's pretty much useless from what I've seen.

I don't get the point of hulu plus, either, since it has ads as well.
Hulu is web only, hulu+ works on iOS, Android, PS3 and 360 and supposedly coming to streamers like WD live.

There are some other things like it keeping the entire season of a running show as opposed to just the last couple of episodes.

Last edited: