The "New Toys" Thread

Oh hi there.

But seriously, thanks for the congrats and stuff. =) This X220 is really really nice. I'm glad I bought it because by far it is very nice. I like the keyboard, but it takes a while to get used to the touchpad since it has buttons underneath like on MacbookPros and it has buttons for the mouse nub too. Also, the keyboard light is pretty nice. I know some people would prefer a lit keyboard, but for me it was just a nice thing to have. The wireless card in this is significantly better than in my SR. Sitting on my bed in my room at my house I live in for college I used to get 2-3 bars max, and this one it is 4-5 bars.

I've been making good use of my tablet's HDMI port and my new 2 TB external HDD, so I added this to complete the package:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Lenovo Multimedia Remote

$25 using a coupon code from deals.woot.com. So far it does the job quite nicely. Range is great, which is was the main issue with my wireless mouse. And the trackball is better in my opinion than a tiny touch pad.

On the downside, it feels a bit light and thin, the mouse buttons are not nice at all to click, it has no "scroll" function other than the arrow keys, and the keyboard has no F# keys that I can find. For $25 it's quite nice. I wouldn't recommend it for the original price of $60.

Last edited:
P1010540.jpg

Sennheiser HD558's + Firestone Fubar IV plus
despite the price I am still positively surprised by what they're capable of :dance:

also: they're extremely comfortable... been wearing them for 3 hours straight and for most of the time completely forgot i was wearing them.

Are those your first decent headphones? If yes, then good starting point :)

it all depends on what one would call decent, but i think i'll have to say they are indeed, thank you :)

They're designed to be a good mid-range set of headphones succeeding the HD555 and competing with the audio-technica ATH-M50 (which I have). Both of these are widely reputed to be good starting points to enter the world of quality headphones :D. In fact, most people get told to get either as first "proper" headphones.

They're designed to be a good mid-range set of headphones succeeding the HD555 and competing with the audio-technica ATH-M50 (which I have). Both of these are widely reputed to be good starting points to enter the world of quality headphones :D. In fact, most people get told to get either as first "proper" headphones.

Money wise, would paying more for the HD598 be worth it? Or Should I just get the 558 and be happy with it?

Money wise, would paying more for the HD598 be worth it? Or Should I just get the 558 and be happy with it?

It depends. The 558s can be modified to be very close to the 598, but its all about tuning. The slight external differences you see in between the two? That's an extra x$ in engineering and testing which leads the two t sound different. My advice with regards to headphones: Have a listen, then buy, or if you're feeling really patient/bored, a trip to the head-fi forums. I'm by no means an expert, just reporting on what I've heard/read since I got my ATH-M50s :)

Besides, I'd much rather have the laptop.

It'd still be ugly, but maybe worthwhile. Then again, that thing must be able to easily fit a BB.

http://img189.imageshack.**/img189/4218/20090108b.jpg

New joystick :banana: Thrustmaster T16000M. The stick is awesome, smooth action with zero wiggle, literally as accurate as possible, and the perfect size for my hand. Didn't want to spend the $150+ for an X52 Pro, don't mind stick only except that almost all stick-only options suck, completely satisfied. The button layout is a bit awkward though, because the stick's actually ambidextrous, just take the grips off and flip them around. I passed it over before because it's sometimes bundled with HAWX which is... well it's made to be played with a controller, so... anyways, because of that it's almost impossible to find any reviews that aren't based around HAWX, and anyone who would review a joystick with a game like that has an irrelevant opinion.

BTW, it used magnets, therefore it = awesome.

Last edited:
I guess you could say the ashtray *sunglasses* is smoking. YEEEAAAAHHHH

Did I do it rite guise?