The "New Toys" Thread

I'd recommend it with a caveat, it is NOT a full tablet, it beats the ipad on price and accesibility to amazon's vast services, but it need a couple of updates before it's sweet, i recall there is a keyboard update already for it, i got it for angry birds, couple of other games, social media and the convenience of not having to turn on or sit in front of my pc in the morning, if that's what you're looking for go for it. I do recall the euro launch hasn't happened yet, might want to wait on that, mine came from US and i took the risk cause i wanted it for the price, dunno if you want to do that too.

I bought it as a toy, and cause i didn't want to pay for a full tablet and a 7" screen seems perfect for me, i probably won't bother rooting it, maybe, maybe not.

edit: just found out the amazon appstore isnt yet supported here, in US and eu only i think, will find a workaround

Last edited:
Aww yeah, it arrived, and it is wonderful :D

bNql.jpeg

So your real name is Emma? :think:

Mine's been rooted with android market and other Google apps for a couple days, and it's great. So far I've found that LauncherPro doesn't work at all, SPB Shell 3D is crashy, and bother Go Launcher and Rocket Launcher work fine. Gmail doesn't sync because there's no such setting in the tweaked OS, so I use Enhanced Email, which I actually like anyway. I've started playing wordfued again, as it's much better on the larger screen. Its intended primary use will be reading news ad such on lunch break at work, when I typically go to my car for some peace and solitude.

I'd recommend it with a caveat, it is NOT a full tablet, it beats the ipad on price and accesibility to amazon's vast services, but it need a couple of updates before it's sweet, i recall there is a keyboard update already for it, i got it for angry birds, couple of other games, social media and the convenience of not having to turn on or sit in front of my pc in the morning, if that's what you're looking for go for it. I do recall the euro launch hasn't happened yet, might want to wait on that, mine came from US and i took the risk cause i wanted it for the price, dunno if you want to do that too.

I bought it as a toy, and cause i didn't want to pay for a full tablet and a 7" screen seems perfect for me, i probably won't bother rooting it, maybe, maybe not.

edit: just found out the amazon appstore isnt yet supported here, in US and eu only i think, will find a workaround

Interesting choice of words as I would put any Android or iOS device into the "toy" category, they're really not productive machines except for communications.

Interesting choice of words as I would put any Android or iOS device into the "toy" category, they're really not productive machines except for communications.

well some people may consider using it for a college application (research documents, internet to converse with friends etc) and for work, i know a few people who use a tablet for on the go research when they're far from their office and the tablet does have files that they need, i just emphasised why I wanted it, i dont have any practical application for it other than i wanted it

Had my Nokia Lumia 800 arrive on Wednesday. Super impressed with it, dont miss my old iPhone at all. Glad to be back with a Nokia. The screen is absolutely incredible too.

nokia-lumia-800-design.jpg

Aren't you concerned with the ports getting filthy? I wanted ports on the top, but found this and couldn't be happier:

i don't think this should be a problem. i've had the same case (well, the R2 to be precise, but thats basically the same) for more than 1,5 years now and the top ports are fine. and yes, i do use them.

Aren't you concerned with the ports getting filthy? I wanted ports on the top, but found this and couldn't be happier:

No, not really, it's not gonna stay on the floor so not much filth will get in there, and my antec case had the power button behind a door, which was very annoying :D

Had my Nokia Lumia 800 arrive on Wednesday. Super impressed with it, dont miss my old iPhone at all. Glad to be back with a Nokia. The screen is absolutely incredible too.

Hopefully they will add Internet sharing to it soon.

nokia-lumia-800-design.jpg

Do tell us what your first thoughts are! :)

Do tell us what your first thoughts are! :)

First thoughts over the weekend are really impressed, so far the battery life hasn't been quite as good as my HTC Mozart 7 but it's still giving a good day and a half of charge. It really is a beautiful thing to hold, I've been getting it out of my pocket to use with any excuse just to look at it :p the screen really is incredible, it's so clear and the tiles appear as thoug they are floating on a bubble of water.
I would easier recommend the phone to anyone not wanting an iPhone or sees android as too complicated. Seeing nokias push with windows phone 7 I really hope they succeed.

jmpfan - Is PenTile noticeable? Does Nokia Maps offer the same functionality as their Symbian version?

I'm not sure what PenTile is? had a look on the marketplace and couldnt find anything on there called that. I've not used Nokia Maps nor Nokia Drive much yet, but I've never used the Symbian version so I can't compare them, sorry.

samsung_oled_pentile_matrix_comparison.jpg

For example, Pentile irritates me out on Galaxy Note.

ahhhh, not really noticed it, well tbh didnt even know about it until you said so. the screen for me is one of the stand out features of the phone, everytime i look at it I'm amazed at the colours and the clarity of it. Apologises if it sounds like I'm trying to selling the phone, I am just really impressed by it, sold my iPhone 3GS earlier this year in prep for it, and I don't miss it one bit, was worth the wait.