The "New Toys" Thread

I've always wondered if its worth getting a shaver with the cleaning dock.

I'm actually 100% serious when I ask you to report if you actually find it any more portable. Sure it's lighter, but it's still the same size. Even if my laptop weighed exactly the same as my phone, I just don't think I would bring it with me any more than my current laptop. :think:

An update after a little bit with it. Its very nice. Perfectly fine for web browsing and light development (I'm using mono touch rather that just Xcode). As for its portability, the iPad is still more portable simply because it "just a screen". The fact that the Macbook air is an actual laptop limits the places that it can really be taken for use. That being said, I barely use my iPad and even my normal desktop now. My desktop is essentially just a gaming machine now. The macbook Air is my main computer now.
When it comes to school, the air is nice because i don't have to carry a heavy laptop in addition to books. The battery is nice too. It lasts ~5hours with screen on full brightness and growing the web. I get more if i turn the brightness down.

All in all, Its very nice if you want a super portable laptop but the iPad is better if you just want something you can take around randomly for light web browsing and apps.

Only the switch is really for me. The Harddrive and enclosures are for my dad. Currently he copies his photos and other files to 2 500Gb drives in RAID0 and then manually duplicates them onto a 1Tb drive. He's moving his stuff to my freenas box so i suggested he get these. Now, he's going to have 1Tb in RAID1 for photos and 500Gb in RAID1 for everything else. I just got the switch because my old 10/100 switch freaked out and needed a reset every other day.

edit: also, sorry for the double post.

Picked this up from Korea this week. It's a 27-inch, IPS panel, LED-backlit, 2560x1440 display - 1 DVI port and brightness controls. That's it. It's called the Achieva Shimian QH270.

Fun bit - I paid $210 for it. No dead pixels, nothing. Colours and viewing angles are awesome. It kicks ass!

600x544px-LL-59b768f9_ShimianQH270-Lite_032.jpeg

My old Logitech G9x was feeling quite uncomfortable after prolonged use, so I decided to replace it with a Performance Mouse MX. Feels much better already, and the lack of a cable is a nice bonus.

Just installed a pair of 7dBi antennas on my router. The boost in signal strength and stability is clearly noticeable.

Picked this up from Korea this week. It's a 27-inch, IPS panel, LED-backlit, 2560x1440 display - 1 DVI port and brightness controls. That's it. It's called the Achieva Shimian QH270.

Fun bit - I paid $210 for it. No dead pixels, nothing. Colours and viewing angles are awesome. It kicks ass!

I bought the PCBank PC2700-- same panel but different branding a few weeks back and love it.

Just got charged for my pledge for my Pebble watch.

Also pre-ordered this:

That pebble thing is the best thing since sliced bread. Pity I don't have a compatible phone (yet)...
150$ seems low for such a cool device...

It's a good thing they didn't put one on the front, in that case I wouldn't want one at all.