The "New Toys" Thread

Well done then. At that price I may be tempted to buy a One S. Heading off to ebay.

Sharp Aquos Quattron LC-70LE733U

For my den. 70". Because overkill.

A774638.jpg

Here's your review: Ugly, less ergonomic than an iPhone, unbelievably slow considering the hardware it's packing and overpriced like everything Sony.

I decide to move my entire movie collection to a NAS / media server
- Synology 412+
- 4 x WD Caviar Green 2Tb

I decide to move my entire movie collection to a NAS / media server
- Synology 412+
- 4 x WD Caviar Green 2Tb

Good pick. Remember to set the WDIDLE (TLER setting) to max. Else you'll see a very high LCC (Load Cycle Count), i.e. not good.

I don't get why people waste their money on stuff like Synology, it has much less functionality than even FreeNAS (which sux) and costs way more than getting some old desktop with a bunch of drives....

I don't get why people waste their money on stuff like Synology, it has much less functionality than even FreeNAS (which sux) and costs way more than getting some old desktop with a bunch of drives....

i'd go the old / tiny desktop route, too, but can understand the appeal of an out-of-the-box NAS. it's simply a hassle-free solution which doesn't require a lot of work and does what is expected of it. comparing the price, you'd probably end up with a rather high hourly rate for your work, but going the simple route and being a bit lazy is alright :)

What's wrong with FreeNAS? I have a box that runs that and aside from a few minor problems during setup, it's been working quite well.

i'd go the old / tiny desktop route, too, but can understand the appeal of an out-of-the-box NAS. it's simply a hassle-free solution which doesn't require a lot of work and does what is expected of it. comparing the price, you'd probably end up with a rather high hourly rate for your work, but going the simple route and being a bit lazy is alright :)
Maybe things are better since last time I checked but when I was looking at NAS's nothing under $400-500 that didn't suck (according to reviews at least) and even that was pretty bad features wise. Though I suppose there is also a difference in personality/goals, for instance I would want to be able to make changes as I go. For example installing sabnzbd+ (program that downloads from news groups), sickbeard (companion to the former auto downloads shows you are following), couchpotato (same for movies, set what you wanna dl it will grab it as soon as its available) is not even possible on FreeNAS (well possible but not easy).

I can see why someone who just wants network storage would go for a lazy route though.
What's wrong with FreeNAS? I have a box that runs that and aside from a few minor problems during setup, it's been working quite well.
See above +
Can't grow JBOD/RAID 0, no LVM support, very limited software selection outside of what comes default, most of the stuff you install doesn't survive a reboot (like unzip/unrar utilities for instance), unless you change some config files not all of the configurations are saved on reboot (even then I had to change host name for FTP after every reboot, until I switched to SFTP), can't add users from console (was a pain when the UI broke and wouldn't come back w/o a reboot, see above on how fun that is). Can't install a streaming server at all, built in DLNA server is terrible in every possible way.

Last edited:
Routers are also starting to blur the line, a high end router will be $100+ and will likely have USB storage support, torrenting, and other advanced features. I know mine does.

I can see why someone who just wants network storage would go for a lazy route though.

yeah that was what i was thinking of. people that expect those standards you do shouldn't have any problem in setting up a machine themselves :)

Routers are also starting to blur the line, a high end router will be $100+ and will likely have USB storage support, torrenting, and other advanced features. I know mine does.
Until they get USB 3 though it's too damn slow for my taste, I was doing something similar but downloading a torrent and trying to watch HD movie/show would cause it to stutter like crazy.

yeah that was what i was thinking of. people that expect those standards you do shouldn't have any problem in setting up a machine themselves
Quite true :)

Decided to buy a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 lens. Because of the release of the mark II the prices have started to come down and I wanted this one in time for my upcoming trip to Glacier NP. Now I have the ability to shoot at f/2.8 from 16mm to 200mm...awwww yeah.

411VQPSHDBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I accidentally some stuff:

51CeYg%2B1f2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41RdQr-mEeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now I have to make myself do the overtime needed to pay for them, along with the SSD I want to get.

Last edited:
See above +
Can't grow JBOD/RAID 0, no LVM support, very limited software selection outside of what comes default, most of the stuff you install doesn't survive a reboot (like unzip/unrar utilities for instance), unless you change some config files not all of the configurations are saved on reboot (even then I had to change host name for FTP after every reboot, until I switched to SFTP), can't add users from console (was a pain when the UI broke and wouldn't come back w/o a reboot, see above on how fun that is). Can't install a streaming server at all, built in DLNA server is terrible in every possible way.

that's probably why I don't have a problem with FreeNAS. All I use it for is storing files, streaming media (not using dlna or anything special though ) and downloading torrents.