The "New Toys" Thread

Just placed an order for one of these babies :)
2012-05-22-image-3.jpg

2012-05-22-image-4.jpg

1080p matte IPS display and a i7 cpu

My 64GB SSD has been struggling for any sort of breathing room for months so it was time for an upgrade:

Re: The "New Toys" Thread

Curious, is that the 7"? Cause if so, why buy this and not the Google Nexus Tab? From what I understand, the Nexus kicks its ass in pretty much every category, including price. Only thing it's got going for it is an SD card slot...

Yep, the 7". Bought it because of 3G and SD card. Also, Google currently won't sell me a nexus 7 and when it does come out its more expensive than the galaxy tab.

Me too, I almost bought one instead of the Lenovo, but I was already straining my budget at $1k, and TrackPoint for life.

Aaaaaaaaand here's the bastard in "dry dock". Too bad it'll have to wait until next season to run. :(

It isn't. That's one of the reasons we're waiting until the next season, I need a boat-user licence. That allows me to pilot boats up to 7 metres in length and 10hp during the day.

Aww, that's fairly restrictive for a license. Here up to five HP for recreational boats is free, over requires a license. Size is irrelevant, as long as it is no commercial use. However, the effort required to get a Sportbootf?hrerschein See may exceed those required elsewhere to be allowed to drive a car :p then power is irrelevant as well, you could plonk thousands of HP into your dinghy if you like.

Meh, it's a simple licence, really. It's theoretical knowledge only and it costs ?5... o_O

Correct me if I'm wrong, but around here, boat licenses are either non-existent or not enforced. I drove a small boat when I was 12.

It didn't use to be. But we mostly vacation in Croatia, where we no have a stationary caravan (cheap room near the coast, pop a tent next to it, it's like the ringmeet! But without the cars and epic track, but hey, chicks and the sea) and the Croatian police are diabolically strict when it comes to boating licenses and violations. They're almost broke and they need every single way of getting money into the budget, so they milk the careless tourists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but around here, boat licenses are either non-existent or not enforced. I drove a small boat when I was 12.

I don't believe they exist over here either. I've certainly never heard of one.

Last edited:
The exam I'm going for doesn't need lights, because I can't go out at night anyway. *shrug*

Well, that list narf posted includes licences for operating the radio and the emergency signaling equipment. Yes, here you essentially need a licence to grab a signaling pistol and shoot straight up in the air. :p
In Germany, you probably can't afford a boat because all your money is spent on the necessary licences. ;)

I was looking at that same one. Let me know what you think (most importantly, any odd foibles. Most units are fine, capability-wise...it's the little things that make or break it.)

Seems nice so far, with only one odd thing. When listening to music over bluetooth, it didn't pull any song data and had a box in the center of screen with "STOP" flashing in it. I've only used it while running errands this afternoon, so not much to go on yet. Also, in case you missed it elsewhere, the bluetooth functionality comes from an adapter plugged into the rear usb port, which is on a maybe 18" cable. If I can find the microSD adapter I wanted to use with it I'll be checking that functionality tomorrow.

Well, that list narf posted includes licences for operating the radio and the emergency signaling equipment. Yes, here you essentially need a licence to grab a signaling pistol and shoot straight up in the air. :p
In Germany, you probably can't afford a boat because all your money is spent on the necessary licences. ;)

Essentially you only need one license, SBF See in our case of open waters. Anything else is non-essential.

Interestingly, you would also need some radio certificate to buy and register an emergency beacon... or alternatively you order one from the UK and register it there, same result but no license needed :)

On the signalling munition, few care and have stuff on their boat regardless. What's the worst that could happen, a ticket afterwards?

Our boat as been ticketed already btw, for cutting across the exclusion zone outside the Kiel canal locks. Bored rozzers in a RIB FTL.

Last edited: