The "New Toys" Thread

I just plug in my Windows 8 tablet when I want to watch videos from my desktop or external HDD.

Yup,this is probably what I'd do if I had someway to connect it...

Yep, they generously allow you to purchase 1 year of software updates for only $300.....

That must be a joke. Have they ever sold one? So 2 updates = one kickass new TV Set?

Really? Because with my Samsung TV I found that DLNA is a steaming pile of shit. A lot of files that the TV itself can handle (e.g. when playing from a HDD via USB) won't stream, and even with multiple files that have exactly the same codecs and format some of them will stream and some won't. :?

Had the same problem with a series 5 (I think) 46 inch Samsung. It was to do with the way in which the DLNA server, in this case TWONKY, running on my NAS presented the files to the TV. The TV would refuse to play MKVs etc until I updated the TWONKY version. Now the only thing I can't get it to play is quicktime files from Contour cameras via DLNA.

Had the same problem with a series 5 (I think) 46 inch Samsung. It was to do with the way in which the DLNA server, in this case TWONKY, running on my NAS presented the files to the TV. The TV would refuse to play MKVs etc until I updated the TWONKY version. Now the only thing I can't get it to play is quicktime files from Contour cameras via DLNA.

Hm, I've had this issue both when using Samsung's own Allshare software to stream stuff from my PC, and when using my NAS (mybook live with twonky). That said, updating the twonky server could be worth a try.

PS3 Media Server is a steaming pile of unstable, crashy shit that is coded Java to boot. Srsly, the crap Samsung bundles with their TVs is less buggy than the pile of shit that is PS3 Media Server.

Umm... I have not had much problems with it... the only thing I don't like is that new files always go to the end so if you are looking alphabetically it might not be there. Admittedly I do not use transcoding features at all since WD Live understands damn near every format on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

DLNA in general is a little retarded. I got Plex and PS3 MS running on my media server box and playing to the same target (WD TV Live) PS3 is absolutely flawless works very well, I can pause, FF, rewind, w/e. Plex aborts ANY mkv after 3 seconds no matter what. PS3 is UPnP based while Plex is DLNA, and it seems to be a common issue with Plex from what I found on the forums.

Hm, I've had this issue both when using Samsung's own Allshare software to stream stuff from my PC, and when using my NAS (mybook live with twonky). That said, updating the twonky server could be worth a try.

Just updated the twonky server, but after a quick try it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'll try it a bit more extensively later though.

In my experience, Samsungs (BD-C5500 here) are very picky about the .mkvs they accept through DLNA. The funny thing is that a lot of the stuff my bluray wouldn't play, my Philips TV had zero issues with, and vice versa. The main reason I never used DLNA much on my TV is because it doesn't have a DTS decoder. About half the movies in my collection are DTS. All this is in stark contrast with the cheap Raspberry, which eats any mkv I've thrown at it, doesn't need any special software running on your fileserver for it to work, doesn't need any transcoding whatsoever, and uses less power than most TVs when turned off.

Logitech K310 - washable keyboard.
Logitech-Washable-Keyboard-K310-2.jpg

Dunno if it was on this board or another, but a while ago I made some comment about these keyboards being "masturbators choice" ... so feel free to throw that right back at me now :D

But in seriousness, my current Logitech has now survived 1,5 or 2 years without me spilling something over it (and breaking in the process) wich must be an all time high for clumsy old me - but I don?t want it anymore if I?m honest. It?s just gotten too filthy between the keys to tolerate and now I see the actual appeal of having a washable keyboard. If your keyboard does survive for a longer time than a year or so, it?s good to know you can get it really clean again without having to take it apart first ...

Last edited:
I think he means the Finepix L30, not the guitar thing. :p

I know but, the picture of the behringer thing was taken with a potato.

Silverstone SG-09 SFF Case
SG09-34View-01.jpg

AMD FX-8320
images

16GB Crucial BallistiX Sport (2x8G)
images

Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
images

2x Samsung 840 120GB
images

Diablotek 550W semi-modular PSU

My old Sapphire HD4890 1GB

This is a workstation for me to cart back and forth to my job. I wanted small, powerful, and fast on a budget. Cost was subsidized by my boss (Processor, mobo, ram).

I think I did pretty well.

Current problem is that the 8320 appears to be locked to 2.9ghz. Not sure if this is because I have a 125W CPU on a 95W board, or if I need to flash the BIOS.

If it's the 95W/125W problem, I'm going to swap it out for an FX-6300, put that under an H60, and overclock the shit out of it.

Edit: This will also be a foray into Windows 8 for me. I grabbed our Win 8 Enterprise license, we'll see how i like it.

First impressions: not good. Google sync doesn't work.

Oh and a size comparison between The Beast:
5ro5yOp.jpg

Last edited:
How often will you have to bring it back and forth? Too bad that case doesn't have a handle on the top.

How often will you have to bring it back and forth? Too bad that case doesn't have a handle on the top.

The case fits pretty well under my arm, and it's not particularly heavy. It'll live in my car, I'll just carry it in and out with me. It's small enough to fit in a carry-on bag for airports, and there's actually a carry-on bag made specifically for the case.

That's a nice looking case you got there, I've been thinking of doing something similar.

As far as I'm aware the SG-09 is the smallest case (23 litre total volume) that can fit a big video card (My 7970 fits, tried it for goofs. I think it holds up to 13 inches, which is anything including a Titan/690/7990.) and a Micro-ATX board, as well as a 120MM radiator. It's got an ingenious layout (The fan at the front? Yeah, that's the power supply's intake fan.) And it's not prohibitively expensive. I really like it.

Last edited: