The "New Toys" Thread

Prusa-i3-%E4%BA%A7%E5%93%81%E5%9B%BE101-500x500.jpg

$500 Prusa i3 can't wait to start making some assemblies to print on Solidworks! :D

Should've gotten the i5 K variant, unlocked cores and stuff :D

I have a few assemblies I've created in Solidworks that among other things I want to try to print. Also one of my engineering classes next semester will probably require some 3D printing so I'll have some experience with it before hand.

I'm thinking about getting a 3D printer as well. I actually have use for one, being in the model aircraft/multirotor hobby I often have various specific parts that I'd like to print - currently I use the printer available in the local hackerspace, but it's mostly booked full for weeks in advance, and they never have the filament in the colors that I would like to use. Having one at home would allow me to rapidly prototype and produce parts as I draw them up, instead of having to wait forever first. Some of the parts I print I could also sell, I've designed a few things that people on the local multirotor forum have already asked me about being able to purchase... it's at least worth giving it a thought. Now if I only had spare $500...

Last edited:
How's the qualilty on those cheap ones nowdays? Last time I used one was in college back in 2009-ish, and atleast back then it was OK quality for maybe down to 1 mm, so nothing precise, and the parts were quite porous.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a 3D printer as well. I actually have use for one, being in the model aircraft/multirotor hobby I often have various specific parts that I'd like to print - currently I use the printer available in the local hackerspace, but it's mostly booked full for weeks in advance, and they never have the filament in the colors that I would like to use. Having one at home would allow me to rapidly prototype and produce parts as I draw them up, instead of having to wait forever first. Some of the parts I print I could also sell, I've designed a few things that people on the local multirotor forum have already asked me about being able to purchase... it's at least worth giving it a thought. Now if I only had spare $500...

My friends built/are building their own delta 3D printer, and got the Uni department where they and I work to purchase three commercially available printers so far (Leapfrog, Makerbot Replicator 2X, Ultimaker 2). But even though all three aren't exactly the cheapest entry level stuff, they're far from being plug&play. Sure, you can print with them out of the box no problem, but to get really decent quality you'll have to fiddle with them quite a bit. I'd expect the cheaper kits etc. to be require at least as much fiddling. But then again I don't expect that'd be too much of a problem for you. ;)

Maybe I can help if you've got some specific questions, or get you in contact with my friend since he's really into this whole stuff.

Last edited:
Just got a razer blackwidow ultimate keyboard.

Holy loudness batman...

I'm sorry I didn't visit this site as much as I should, but 2 weeks ago I bought these - NVX XPT100 - for 80usd. They are identical to Brainwavz HM5 (the same driver) [the ancestry goes even further - Fischer FA-003 = Brainwavz HM5 = NVX XPT100 = Jaycar Pro Monitor = Lindy HF-100 = Yoga CD-880]. Holy fuck, they have awesome sound and the widest soundstage you can get from closed-backs, also a very neutral signature, and super comfortable set of angled pads, or, should I say, cushions. If you are choosing headphones below 100$, really consider these.
51rr65r%2BQ7L._SL1500_.jpg

So, a buddy had one of these lying around and sold it to me for $50.

Pebble_Time.jpg

White first-gen Pebble.

Fucking. Amazing. Why didn't I get one during the kickstarter?

What's it do?

when 6 inch screens are what people want

Idiots. You mean what idiots want.

6" phones have no business in the range of actual everyday-portable communication devices. Too big to fit anywhere or to handle remotely properly with one hand.

Ok, and now the fanboys of bigger-is-always-better can start hating.