The "New Toys" Thread

Very Nice! Hopefully you'll pick up on OS X quickly. It's a nice operating system.

I've already got Boot Camp working on it. :p

OS X is alright and I'll be playing around with it but I'm a Windows user at heart. I like my windows maximized.

You can do that now in OSX by double clicking the app name at the top of the window. (except with chrome)

You can do that now in OSX by double clicking the app name at the top of the window. (except with chrome)

No, that makes it maximum height but not necessarily maximum width. Also in Yosemite the green icon makes an application go fullscreen rather than maximize.

No, that makes it maximum height but not necessarily maximum width. Also in Yosemite the green icon makes an application go fullscreen rather than maximize.

Grab doublepane from the App Store, it basically gives you the functionality that came in Win 7, left half max, right half max, full max. It also responds to keyboard shortcuts so that makes it quite useful. You should really give OS X a real chance, because of Apple Scripts there are a lot of interesting apps for it that extend the functionality of the OS, sort of like browser plug ins.

You can just drag the corners of the window to maximize it. I always have Firefox maximized (but not in full screen mode).

You can alter the behavior of the green button to the way it was before by holding the option key while clicking. Not that you ever used macs before, but still. :p

Doubleclicking does the same as clicking the green button used to do before yosemite. It "maximizes" the window to fit the content inside of it instead of filling the screen with a bunch of wasted whitespace.

I'm told this worked great with the UI guidelines you had in the days before OS X, but I wasn't a mac user back then. I switched to mac with 10.4 and never got the hang of this behavior. Resizing the window to fit the content is a relative term when it comes to web sites, for instance.

Last edited:
For maximized windows, I really like the fullscreen mode, and most OSX apps support it properly by now. Open a bunch of fullscreen apps and swipe between them with the Spaces gesture (three fingers left/right; three fingers up to go into Mission Control and reorder/organize the Spaces, including fullscreen apps). Optimal screen real estate usage, since neither the Dock nor even the window header get displayed - whole screen is app UI.

Last edited:
Your Retina MacBook Pro feels blurry next to my phone.

Your argument is invalid. :p

It's not funny if you have to explain the joke....

explanation totally unnecessary imo, soooo... works for me :D
also: could've gone with "because of parking, son" pic.

Adu had to unearth that punchline up from a shallow grave.

Not nearly as nice as Viper's sweet custom macbook, but I have a few additions.

91YyEJrHarL._SL1500_.jpg

blog-2-arduino_kit_lateral.jpg

414D0LVYzNL.jpg

51nOSJlyrfL._SL1200_.jpg

Not nearly as nice as Viper's sweet custom macbook, but I have a few additions.

91YyEJrHarL._SL1500_.jpg

Glad to see webOS living on...even though its on a SmartTV.