The "New Toys" Thread

A cheap one is probably delivering a half-amp or below to your phone, that's the problem.

Hmm, what did the Amazon fairy bring this week?

Batteries and a charger?

Oh, it's for this!

I got the batteries and charger via Amazon and the boat at a local hobby store. The boat is an Aquacraft Rio EP. It seemed to be the best in the "cheap beginner boat" category. I had it out yesterday and it can keep up with most of the full size boats that are cruising along the river. Obviously, the big baja 454CI V8 boats it falls behind. It copes with boat wakes and jumps them with ease.

It sounds like a mini 2 cycle engines wave runner.

When I was young we had an R/C boat that rose up out of the water on huge aquaplanes.... I should see if it's still in the garage.

I put a baseball cap on it for shade. Much better. :D

Neat idea but not ideal if you're using it as satnav/speedo thing ;)

A cheap one is probably delivering a half-amp or below to your phone, that's the problem.

This. Mine charges my phone AND my tablet simultaneously. Given the fact that my tablet has a bigger battery than my car does, I'd call that impressive

Waits to hear how annoyed you are when it floats away after the batteries die. :p :tease:

Waits to hear how annoyed you are when it floats away after the batteries die. :p :tease:

Well, close. :p

Today the set screws inside the coupling between the motor and prop broke. Due to my fear of being run over by a speed boat I got my brother's fishing boat out of my garage to retrieve the dumb R/C boat. During all that time it must have taken on A LOT of water as it was sitting nose up in the water about two blocks from where it started.

*sigh*

Last edited:
When I was young we had an R/C boat that rose up out of the water on huge aquaplanes.... I should see if it's still in the garage.

you must now share this hydrofoil with us, for great justice.

Dont have a photo since my friend has it right now (he bought one too and picked both up) but I bought a 5 year old HP desktop to act as a new home server. My old laptop isn't cutting it anymore for plex and it wont handle hosting a few personal web applications.

This desktop is older but add some more ram, maybe replace the cpu with the best cpu of the time (Core 2 Extreme series i think) and it should be able to handle my needs for a while. Its super cheap so I cant complain.

you must now share this hydrofoil with us, for great justice.

We also had a fireboat with working water cannon :D

I think we gave them to my younger cousins who live on a bay.

I had so many R/C cars... my dad worked at Radio Shack in the 70s and 80s and was into it himself. Mostly trucks but my favorite was Wild Sting, an 8 wheeled folding monstrosity that was apparently immediately discontinued and no longer exists anywhere :( Best image I can find, those are free hinges in the center and the whole car is reversible. Could launch onto a set of stairs at full pelt and just roll its way down.

m9_O1Nr71vqmxAL4YPLnftw.jpg

Last edited:
I got myself a cheapo turntable (Lenco L-3867USB) and Homework by Daft Punk.

8711902019862_001-572x352.jpg

We already had some classic fairytales on vinyl for our daughter and I bought some records a week ago on a flea market:

Singles:
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Ramirez - El Ritmo Barbaro
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
The KLF - Last Train To Trancentral (7")

Albums:
Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again
Queen - Greatest Hits

Mixes:
Acid Megajackmix

Looking forward to expand the collection some more, our daughter loves dance music :)

It's been quite a while since I treated myself to a new toy, and I'm fed-up with my Mx Anywhere double clicking all the time, so today I ordered this:

Logitech Mx Master, for 101$ cdn, taxe and shipping included.

There's an easy fix for the double clicking issue, if you only asked previously. :p

There's an easy fix for the double clicking issue, if you only asked previously. :p

Please enlighten me, every fix I've found using my Google-Fu have either had no effect, or a short term effect at best.

Bang the button hard a few times. It's worked for me (and several other people in irc) for quite a while. Doesn't work every time but mostly, though.

I just smack the whole mouse down on the pad, works